Swapping carriers do I need the gears reset? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Swapping carriers do I need the gears reset?

Glen4X4

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Lewistown, Pa
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 XLS
Ok, so I have a D35 that the spider gears are welded and I am not putting that into the Explorer, so before I even tear into this thing, if I have an open carrier can I swap it into the diff and not have to worry about having the gears setup? Because if that's the case I'll take it to someone that knows about setting up gears. Thanks.....

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You didn't give much information, if you swap the whole differential, no setup but if it is a 4X4 the gear ratio has to match the other diff. No they don't have a removable center section so if your just changing gears they have to be set up and again if it is 4X4 the gears ratio has to match the other diff.

Why not just look at what you have it is very easy to see if the center section is removable or not.

Yes, the gears must be reset if the carrier is replaced since deckplane is inconsistent from carrier to carrier.

Thanks IZ, and poprichie I only wanted to know about switching carriers and I know all about matching gears and whatnot that's what I am in the process of right now, thanks for the help anyway.

I'll be doing this soon. I'm taking out my open carrier and I'm installing a ls. I figure the front would be a good one for me to learn on since you can take the center section out and work on it on your bench. Also, the front gears are turning less than 1000 miles per year so if I dont get them quite right its not like I'm going to take the truck down like I would if I screwed up the rear.

~Mark

You never said what year you are doing this to or I missed it, but you may already know that a limited slip will not work with auto hubs, only manual or full time front axle.

Back