Swapping factory radios......help..... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Swapping factory radios......help.....

Skyhiranger1

Reaction score
City, State
KC, MO area
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 RANGER STX
I've got a 97 Ranger with the Premium sound system (I guess)......AM/FM/cass with the CD changer controls on the radio, but no CD changer. Number on the radio is F57F-19B165-CER.
I bought a dual media (AM/FM/single CD/cass) radio from a 2001 (IIRC) Explorer and am trying to swap it into my Ranger using the scosche FDK106 wiring adapter harness. Number on the radio is XL2F-18C868-BB.
My issue is that I can get the Explorer radio to power on, change stations, lock onto stations during scan, etc. but I can't get any sound through the speakers.
I know the radio is good and functioning properly, because I plugged it into my 2K Explorer and it works perfectly.
On my Ranger radio harness I have 2 plugs......
1) a gray, skinny, long, right angle 8 pin plug for the power, ground, illumination, and amp. I have the power, ground, and illumination connected into the scosche harness, but I am not sure if I need the amp wire hooked up (or if I even have an amp). If I do, what do I hook to the Ranger amp wire? Measuring voltage on the amp wire, when using the stock Ranger radio, it reads around 4.3 volts.....so I assume I don't want to put a full 12V to it.
2) a square black 16 pin plug with a bunch of wires that don't match up to any wiring color codes I can find. The scosche harness has a green plug (that connects to the factory Ranger plug) that has the 8 wires for the 4 speakers and a ground wire. I have these 9 wires wired/spliced into the Explorer radio pigtail harness (cut factory harness) that I got when I took out the Explorer radio.
I have also read about factory amp bypass plugs when using a HU that has a built in amp (does the Explorer radio have a built-in amp?). If so, would it be better to use the Explorer radio's built-in amp or my stock Ranger amp (assuming I have one)? Also, if the Ranger has a factory amp, where is it located?
I am not interested in swapping in an aftermarket HU, I would like to get the dual media Explorer radio to work.....but if I can't, I'll just put my factory Ranger radio back in.

Thanks for any help.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You could check Crutchfield's website, they should be able to tell you what you need to change out a factory stereo.

You could check Crutchfield's website, they should be able to tell you what you need to change out a factory stereo.

Thanks for the response, but the only thing Crutchfield can tell me is what harness I need to use to put and aftermarket stereo in my vehicle. They are no help when it comes to swapping from one factory stereo to another, and dealing with factory amp issues/questions.

I already have the harness to adapt the later year radio to my harness, but I think it is an amp issue......I think possibly my Ranger has a seperate amp and the radio I am trying to put in has a built in amp.....but I can't find any info anywhere to tell me whether this is the case or not and give me some advice on what needs to be done to fix my issues.

Oh sorry, I missed that you were swapping to factory stereos.

The square plug means there is a factory installed amplifier somewhere in the truck. They are pieces of garbage. Feeding speaker level signals from the built in amp in the new radio into the other amp in the truck will only make it sound worse.

Your best option is to find the amp, and then run the speaker wires from the new radio to the speaker wires where the come out of the amp. AutoZone has a bypass kit that has a connector that should fit onto the speaker output wiring connector from the amp. Try to find the amp by following the gray cable, it might be below the radio. Look for a square box with cooling fins on it.

The square plug means there is a factory installed amplifier somewhere in the truck. They are pieces of garbage. Feeding speaker level signals from the built in amp in the new radio into the other amp in the truck will only make it sound worse.

Your best option is to find the amp, and then run the speaker wires from the new radio to the speaker wires where the come out of the amp. AutoZone has a bypass kit that has a connector that should fit onto the speaker output wiring connector from the amp. Try to find the amp by following the gray cable, it might be below the radio. Look for a square box with cooling fins on it.

I have found that the amp will not work, if I am feeding an already amplified signal into it. Since I am pretty sure the "new" radio I am trying to put in has a built in amp, I found an amp bypass harness and (once I find the amp) I will plug it in to see if I can get everything to work then.

My Ranger must be different than the Explorers and other factory amp'd Ford vehicles.....I have no gray cable running from the radio to the amp.....it is simply 2 connectors with plain wires wrapped in factory "electrical tape". Nothing has been modified/hacked/spliced/etc. so I am sure it is all factory wiring (I am also the second owner and have had it since 98).

You may find more about the Ranger wiring on a Ranger site, or the few internet sources that sell OEM radios.

BTW, which Explorer radio do you have, I hope it's the one with no sub? Did the Explorer have an OEM sub in the quarter panel? Those are MACH radios, and have no bass in the four speaker signals. You surely want the Premium version, it has no sub output and full range speaker outputs. There should be an "RDS" button instead of a "CLOCK" button. Good luck,

Interesting... All of the square plugs I have seen lead to a gray cable, which is shielded to prevent interference on the way to the amp. However you are talking about a vehicle that I have not worked on personally, so I'd assume you are correct that it is unshielded. Can you get pictures of the wiring?

Also, what Don said is 100% correct. Make sure you don't have the version with the sub out, or you are hosed.

You may find more about the Ranger wiring on a Ranger site, or the few internet sources that sell OEM radios.

BTW, which Explorer radio do you have, I hope it's the one with no sub? Did the Explorer have an OEM sub in the quarter panel? Those are MACH radios, and have no bass in the four speaker signals. You surely want the Premium version, it has no sub output and full range speaker outputs. There should be an "RDS" button instead of a "CLOCK" button. Good luck,

The number on the radio checks to a "premium sound" (non-mach) radio. Although it does have a clock button and no rds button. It is also the same radio that is in my 2K explorer than does not have a sub.

I have looked at several ranger sites and internet sites that sell OEM radios....no luck....I'll keep searching though.

With a "CLOCK" button on it, you know that it is not a Pioneer radio, but the normal Ford quality radio. Pioneer made the special Premium and Mach radio, those are radio names, not the stereo level.

For what you are doing that sounds like what you want though. Both of the Pioneer radios have a display issue which costs about $60 to repair. The wiring may also be simpler now that you know better what to look for.

I understand the terminology of "premium sound", but do not confuse that common term with the specific name of those radios. The JBL/Mach/Premium terms are general descriptions that Ford happens to use to sell the more expensive stuff. Use that to help to pinpoint the proper wiring diagrams for the radio you have. Regards,

With a "CLOCK" button on it, you know that it is not a Pioneer radio, but the normal Ford quality radio. Pioneer made the special Premium and Mach radio, those are radio names, not the stereo level.

For what you are doing that sounds like what you want though. Both of the Pioneer radios have a display issue which costs about $60 to repair. The wiring may also be simpler now that you know better what to look for.

I understand the terminology of "premium sound", but do not confuse that common term with the specific name of those radios. The JBL/Mach/Premium terms are general descriptions that Ford happens to use to sell the more expensive stuff. Use that to help to pinpoint the proper wiring diagrams for the radio you have. Regards,

So you are saying what Ford lists in the owners manual as a "premium" radio is not the actual premium sound system?
I was just going by what the owners manual and this thread http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25999 was telling me.....
-19B165- Premium AM/FM/Cassette (1990-97)....this is my OEM radio number.
-18C868- Premium AM/FM/Cass/CD (1998-2001)...this is the number on the Explorer radio I am attempting to install.

So that being the case, the radio I have from the Explorer should have a built in amp.......and like I said before, since it is outputting an amp'd signal, into the factory Ranger amp, that is why I am not getting any sound......and if I can bypass the Ranger amp, the Explorer radio should work correctly.....as least that is what I am thinking.

Either way, I should have a "compatible" radio for swapping into my Ranger......now if I can just find the Ranger amp, I think I'll be in business.

I am only familiar with the two Pioneer HU's. I have a Mach in my Mountaineer, and five RCA outputs from it for three amps etc.

Unless someone else here comes forward with the wiring for your radio, I'd say the sites which sell the OEM radios would be faster help. Those sites also normally sell adapter harnesses to install the most popular radios into other vehicles. I wish I could be more help, I would have to hunt those same schematics for wire colors etc. Good luck,

Ok, I got everything hooked up and working. I ended up using the Metra connector that fit the bigger amp connector, and cut the connector on the other end of that Metra harness off. I ended up modifying the square Metra connector so the square connector from the amp would plug into it, rewired the Metra square connector (since if I spliced same wire color to same wire color it would be wired wrong). Then I spliced the wires from those 2 connectors together to make my amp bypass.
All I have to say, is that Metra gets a "D" for their harness/adapter. Out of the 4 connectors that I ended up using (2 at the radio, 2 at the amp).....the 2 at the radio fit correctly (they were Scosche ones, but I am sure the Metra ones are the same), the 2 at the amp either didn't fit and/or weren't wired correctly. And I don't know that Scosche is any better on the amp bypass harness and connectors, since from what I have seen they use the same types of adapter harnesses and connectors as Metra.
I guess the good thing is....with my plug and harness mods, I didn't have to cut any factory wiring, so I can always go back to the OEM radio and amp if I ever want/need to.

Oh and the Ranger factory amp on a 97 X-cab is located just forward of the passenger side rear speaker.....between the inner body shell and the outer body. The 2 amp plugs can be reached by taking the speaker out, and by reaching up through the jump seat hole.

Very good, it's great that you took the time to avoid cutting the OEM wires. I haven't had too much trouble with adapter harnesses, but with so many vehicles it can be. Regards,

1996 Ranger radio issue

Hi:
Not sure if this is cricket to tack on to a thread, I'm new to this forum and my problem seems somewhat similar? The radio in my 1995 Ranger works only on the left front and rear speakers. I thought the easiest solution was to swap it out with another. Found a look alike on ebay which came from a 1997 ranger and looks identical. When I pulled the old out, low and behold the two connectors in back are not the same. My 1996 had a square connector on the outside and an eight pin straight connector on the inside, while the 97 radio had two straight connectors one eight on the outside and a 7 pin on the inside. In addition the 96 was labeled F57F-19B165-AG
the 97 was labeled F77F-19B132-BA. Not sure what that means. Is the radio not really usable? Do I start my search again?
Thanks for your help

Hi:
Not sure if this is cricket to tack on to a thread, I'm new to this forum and my problem seems somewhat similar? The radio in my 1995 Ranger works only on the left front and rear speakers. I thought the easiest solution was to swap it out with another. Found a look alike on ebay which came from a 1997 ranger and looks identical. When I pulled the old out, low and behold the two connectors in back are not the same. My 1996 had a square connector on the outside and an eight pin straight connector on the inside, while the 97 radio had two straight connectors one eight on the outside and a 7 pin on the inside. In addition the 96 was labeled F57F-19B165-AG
the 97 was labeled F77F-19B132-BA. Not sure what that means. Is the radio not really usable? Do I start my search again?
Thanks for your help

According to this thread....
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25999
the 19B165 radio is a.....Premium AM/FM/Cassette (1990-97), while the 19B132 radio is a......Midline AM/FM/Cassette.

Here is some more info from that same thread on decipering the radio numbers......
Part Numbers:
The Ford part numbering system for radios uses a five digit base part number, with a four letter alpha-numeric prefix, which identifies the original model year and carline application, and a two letter alpha suffix that identifies the component change level. The prefix F57F, for example, is broken down by: F = decade (1990's); 5 = Model Year (1995); 7 = Carline Application (Ranger/Explorer); F = Electronics Division Release part.
Following are the base part numbers for the different families of radios used in Explorers over the years.

From what I understand the midline, premium and audiophile radios all use different type connectors on the radio. So what you will probably have to do is find a "reverse" harness (one that plugs into the radio) for your "new" radio (97 ranger with midline radio) and get a regular radio swap harness (one that plugs into your existing wiring harness) for your truck (95 Ranger with premium radio) and cut and splice the 2 conversion harnesses together......that is, if you do not want to cut your factory harness.

Scosche and Metra both make harnesses that should work. You should be able to buy these at walmart or most auto parts stores. Look in the audio sections and find one that is labeled to match what you have as was stated above.

Back