Swapping my 2wd 5 speed to 4wd question | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Swapping my 2wd 5 speed to 4wd question

ricersrule

Reaction score
City, State
denton, texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 4 door
Well i can't seem to ever find a decent 4wd explorer when i'm acutally looking for one so i ended up with another 2wd. This one is really nice and i am on the lookout for a parts 4x4 that are plentiful for cheap as long as you don't mind a beat up pile of crap....

Mine is a 91 5 speed and most donor explorers i have found are automatics. Will the transfer case bolt up to my factory 5 speed or do i absolutely need to find a 5 speed 4wd parts truck?

And just for fun here is mine...

733949_555149531186597_700048004_n_zps985e39bd.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

2WD and 4WD transmissions have different case designs... you'd have to change your tailshaft and housing, and that would require finding a donor 4WD 5-speed. So at a minimum you will need a transmission for a 4WD application.

There may be other differences between 2WD and 4WD transmissions. For example, a different pan on the automatic (more capacity on 4WD).

So that being the case i need to find a 5 speed. I see alot of 4wd sport 5 speeds.... i suppose worst case i could find one of those and just have to worry about having a rear driveshaft made?

Just grab a 4WD model driveshaft for a 4-door if you can. They do exist.

Back