Swapping out doors, best to swap hinges too? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Swapping out doors, best to swap hinges too?

RangerX

Elite Ranger
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Omao, Kauai
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 Ranger XLT 4X4
I’m pulling some doors to swap onto my truck, they are in better shape than my current doors.
Would it be better to take and use the hinges that are on the new doors?
Or would aligning the new doors be easier just bolting them up to the current existing hinges?
Maybe it doesn’t matter at all, but I figure the time to ask is before I do it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Are your hinges worn? Try lifting from the end of the door and check the movement at the hinge. If they are bad you may be able to find better...

I don't think it will be too difficult to realign the doors either way.

They seem okay, no major sagging.
I just saw an older thread that mentioned one of the hinge bolts is inside and the dash needs to be pulled to get it, so I think I’ll just unbolt doors from hinges, vs hinges from body.

Ditto, consider different hinges if you can find better. The doors will have to be readjusted, so now's the time to replace any hinge or the pins/bushings. I don't recall any difficulty with my old 93 hinges or my 99 hinges. I believe I used all of the 1999 hinges, so old doors on the old 93 front door jambs, and old doors on the newer 99 rear jambs. The hinges should be the same from 91-01 or later even.

I would hope to use the best used hinges you have, and avoid changing the pins/bushings. I have never had to replace the pins on any car of mine, I have one LF door that needs them now, but changing the hinges is fairly easy to me.

you dont need to swap hinges. if your old ones feel fine, you can leave them in. or if they do have a little play, you can always put a pin and bushing kit in

The front door hinges have a stud that goes through the A pillar. You must pull the interior panels to get to the nut on the other side. I think you might have to pull the dash part way as well to gain access. It's not as straight forward as it should be unfortunately.

Back