• Register Today It's free!

Swapping out motor

geno

Reaction score
City, State
Allentown, Pa
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 xlt
I am swapping the original 4.0 ohv in my 94 explorer with a 4.0 ohv from a 96 ranger. I pulled mine and set it next to the 96 and I'm taking upper & lower intake etc and moving it over. I've come upon an issue, the cam sensor on the back of the block looks different, should I swap that also if the wiring connector is different? If I should swap it, I assume its like the bottom of a distributor shaft from the old days. What do I need to do to assure the timing is correct?

Secondly, is there any problem with using brass freeze plugs instead of steel?

Thanks in advance for any advise!

the 94 sensor will not fit inthe 96 block because the lower intakes and the oil pump drive are different! I have run into this before. Basically you need to wire up the 96 sensor to your 94 harness.
I have no idea about the brass freeze plugs

If the 96 engine will also have a 8 bolt crankshaft (for flywheel or flexplate) so if you need to change the 96 engine to fit your transmission you may have to buy a part (if the 96 engine came from a stick and your truck is an auto you will need a 96 style 8 bolt flexplate)

Check out my 97 into a 95 thread on this forum

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=151705&highlight=95+overheated

Back