Swapping rear shocks, top mount bolts... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Swapping rear shocks, top mount bolts...

Waffleofdarkness

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 Ranger
Im ditching the air shocks in my EB for some Rancho RS9000 shocks. I can get at 1 of the top mount bolts, on the pass side shock. I moved some of the air shock lines and can kinda get at the 2nd bolt on the pass side, but I cant get a wrench on it. They are corroded, and a 13 wont grab, it just rounds off. I put a 1/2 on the one I can get easily and I can turn that, but the other wont budge. I can barely even get at the drivers side. So here comes my question... Whats the best way to cut them out? I didnt want it to come to that, cause I dont want the shocks to blow up, but I dont see any other way. Should I cut through the top mount ears just to get the shock out, then cut out the studs?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Did you try tons of penetrating oil and vice grips?

I tried, Cant get vice grips in there, its too tight of a fit

i just pulled up the carpet and cut access flaps in the floor, easy to grab or drill out

bend the flap back over and use little bit of metal tape over the cuts and spray some undercoating to the bottom side

but thats me

i just pulled up the carpet and cut access flaps in the floor, easy to grab or drill out

bend the flap back over and use little bit of metal tape over the cuts and spray some undercoating to the bottom side

but thats me

I was honestly thinking about that. Cut a panel and put flanges in the opening to bolt it back on, with some kind of gasket or seal

My original shocks came off fairly easy.. and they were on there for over 15 years..

I think you may just want to cut the shock off then. If you cut it from the bottom, just under the mounts, the bolt and what it screws on to should come out from the top no problem.

Back