Swapping Stock Amp

Onyxmoose

Reaction score
City, State
Chino, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Explorer Sport
Hey All,

I have been digging around on how to get better sound in my 2014 Sport without going aftermarket. This Sony system is not nearly loud as what my GF has in her 16 Fusion Titanium, even though they are both Sony systems.

I found on an Escape forum that users have swapped out their existing Sony amp with one from a different year, specifically part (CT4T-18B849-AA). Has anyone tried this in their explorer? Those that have done it in their escape have noticed a dramatic difference.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Don't forget the Explorer has a much larger cabin than a Fusion. There are several threads on upgrading the audio system but I don't recall anyone doing what you mentioned.

Peter

Very good point. My biggest issue is that on both my GS8 Plus and Pixel 2, I'll have it full volume and for a few seconds (2 to 3) it's fill volume then the system seems to limit the output and the volume is decreased (even though I did not change).

Very good point. My biggest issue is that on both my GS8 Plus and Pixel 2, I'll have it full volume and for a few seconds (2 to 3) it's fill volume then the system seems to limit the output and the volume is decreased (even though I did not change).
Sorry, I can't comment on that as I don't have a Smartphone. Merry Christmas.

Peter

I don't have the Sony system, so I don't know if this applies, but do you have the speed compensated volume setting on?

I don't have the Sony system, so I don't know if this applies, but do you have the speed compensated volume setting on?

I made sure that was off and I played with Stereo Vs. Surround with no avail.

I'll have it full volume and for a few seconds (2 to 3) it's fill volume then the system seems to limit the output and the volume is decreased (even though I did not change).

This is normal for the time alignment and SQ circuit of the Sony system. Only way to get rid of it is to bypass the processor. But depending on how you bypass that you will loose door chimes and few other features that ford has integrated into the Sony can bus system. As for the amp swap. My interest is peaked for any info that pops up. Sure beats a full system upgrade....

This is normal for the time alignment and SQ circuit of the Sony system. Only way to get rid of it is to bypass the processor. But depending on how you bypass that you will loose door chimes and few other features that ford has integrated into the Sony can bus system. As for the amp swap. My interest is peaked for any info that pops up. Sure beats a full system upgrade....

If I can find one for a decent price I'll grab it and see if it actually does anything. The Focus folks have seen an increase with overall DB without the loss of quality.

Back