• Register Today It's free!

Swapping tailgates...

ebgb

Reaction score
City, State
Tampa, Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 Sport MODIFIED!
I was given the tailgate from a '94 Sport limited. It has elec. defrost, wiper and washer.
Does anybody know what kind of a "pushup" it will be to wire those in to
my '91. All I currently have in back is...well, the rear glass.
I know the gate will install but I don't know about the wiring!
AND...
I have the dash bezel from the '94 with the switch for the fog lamps and wiper, but there are three switch locations on the '94 bezel...anybody know what the third one is?
I'd like to make the defrost and wiper/washer work.
Any thoughts or ideas?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

fog wiper and defrost are the three switches. Gonna be kinda involved to add all that stuff in, I don't know if all the wiring exists if you aren't equipped with it. Plus you would need to add the washer fluid reservoir to the rear

fog wiper and defrost are the three switches. Gonna be kinda involved to add all that stuff in, I don't know if all the wiring exists if you aren't equipped with it. Plus you would need to add the washer fluid reservoir to the rear

Find,
got it on the switches...and thanks for the encouragement!!!:cool:
I do have the resevoir and hoses up to the washer.:thumbsup:
Unfortunately I have a new custom headliner in and almost all the "stuff"
is up there! I've seen a '91 with wipers and defroster...I think!
You get to be my age and your memory gets better just shorter!
I'll going back to the yard where I got the tailgate and see whats left of the wiring both for the wiper,defrost and fogs. I can at least get the pigtails.:thumbsup:
I can probably wire them up some how...!!!
I think it's now called a "presidential solution!!!:D
I'll take pics as I go and let ya'll know how much fun I had!:cool:

Just wire in the rear defroster, it's the only one worth having. I never used the rear wiper on mine, they eventually break/stop working, just shave it off.

Just wire in the rear defroster, it's the only one worth having. I never used the rear wiper on mine, they eventually break/stop working, just shave it off.

Even better still, just pull the defroster window and wiring from the new hatch and put it on his old hatch.

Find,
got it on the switches...and thanks for the encouragement!!!:cool:
I do have the resevoir and hoses up to the washer.:thumbsup:
Unfortunately I have a new custom headliner in and almost all the "stuff"
is up there! I've seen a '91 with wipers and defroster...I think!
You get to be my age and your memory gets better just shorter!
I'll going back to the yard where I got the tailgate and see whats left of the wiring both for the wiper,defrost and fogs. I can at least get the pigtails.:thumbsup:
I can probably wire them up some how...!!!
I think it's now called a "presidential solution!!!:D
I'll take pics as I go and let ya'll know how much fun I had!:cool:

I know XLT and up is equipped with rear wipers. The 91 xlt I gave my ex, my 92 xlt, and my dad's 91 EB all have rear wipers/defrost. I'm gonna agree with Blacksheep Josh on one point though, even when the rear wipers work, they are next to useless. Rear defroster on the other hand...... great to have, though, I don't know how much you would ever need it in Tampa.....

The wiring shouldn't be hard to add though. FWIW. Probably the hardest thing you would even have to do would be to run the hose up from your washer fluid reservoir to the door.....

My 91 XLT did not have rear wiper or defrost I was kinda sad about it.

ok, then it must have still been at the optional level for the XLT. I guess it would figure that any of the ones I have bought up here would have had them given my area and all.....

:cool: I'm going to work hard to make the wiper/washer thing work...I can see that everything is in order now, with the tailgate in the garage on saw horses.
I'll check and make themotor new, etc:).
I really prefer the way it looks just as much as the functionality of it.:cool: The inside trim has to come off here at the beginning for sound attenuation and thermal insulation add anyway...AND I have to get it keyed to match my current key!

Even better still, just pull the defroster window and wiring from the new hatch and put it on his old hatch.

The wiring shouldn't be hard to add though. FWIW. Probably the hardest thing you would even have to do would be to run the hose up from your washer fluid reservoir to the door.....

Find,
I agree that the rear defroster is not of much use here in Tampon...mostly for dew condensation when sitting overnight...Humudity here is a *****!
I will be swapping my existing non defr. equipped glass on to the new tailgate...I want the windows tinted as DARK as legal...oh hell, I going to be a law breaker and have them tinted what they call "limo" tint. I don't want folks looking at my stuff.
Regards the washer res. I did get all of the hoses AND brackets under the headliner. I will use a very sophisticated tool called a "string with a weight" dropped in from the top to attach to the tubing to assist
Thanks for the input!

Regards the washer res. I did get all of the hoses AND brackets under the headliner. I will use a very sophisticated tool called a "string with a weight" dropped in from the top to attach to the tubing to assist
Thanks for the input!

You floridans and your fancy high tech tools

If you are putting that '94 hatch on your '91, also check the position of the hatch door stops.
I put a '93 hatch on my '91 and had to relocate them.
On my '91, the door stops are on the hatch, on the '93 the doors stop are attached to the truck. You may be able to use it without stops, but I would be gentle closing the hatch if that's what you do.

:cool:OK...so here's the deal on the tailgate swap from Florida!!!
I'm sure the high tech string and weight would work because it's monofilament :)
Can't swap the glass...the contacts for the defroster were BOTH broken at the glass...SOoo, no go there!:thumbdwn:
Thanks WickedWindsor...why didn't you tell me that earlier:)
I noticed that as I was dissaembling everything today!
I don't have the capability at the house to relocate them!
That's a problem! SOoo, no go there either!:thumbdwn:
And quess what else??? The hole necessary for the washer isn't on the "sport". SOoo, no go there either!:thumbdwn:
Now...the good news...The emblems on the '94 came off clean as whistle and will be placed on the "sport"
in the proper location...and the really cool thing is that I can use tape. Duct tape won't work though!:)
Now the plan is...since the gate didn't cost anything I will strip all parts and pieces off and dispose of the rest.
Now the shell, s straight and in good condition if anybody wants it. Don't know about shipping it though!
Sooo after all that...no tailgate swap!:thumbdwn:
What a great way to spend Sunday...and the Buccaneers are blacked out here as well.
I understand they got whipped BAD too!
That's what they get for not televising the game!
and now...and now...It's five o'clock and you know what that means!
It's tippin' time!

Back