swapping V8 into 95 explorer, need help | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

swapping V8 into 95 explorer, need help

Does a 97-98 V8 setup from a explorer drop in a 95 eddie bauer edition and what exactly would i need for the swap to make it work besides the motor, euc, harness, tranny, transfer case and radiator?
Thanks guys!
Dean
p.s I posted this twice and both times it got deleted???

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

From what I gather, the 96-up V8 swap isn't all that easy. I've got a 95 also and am not all that satisfied with the performance of the OHV but I'll live with it.

Do a search on it as there are several people who have done the v-8 swap into other years.

It's much easier to do the swap in a 95-01 than a 91-94. It sounds like you know what you need. I think the part where you may have trouble is where the engine harness interfaces with the under-dash stuff in the big square shaped connector.

Stick with a 96-97 Explorer V8 though. The 98+ has a different fuel system.

Well i would get the ecu and harness from the donor truck..what else wouldnt clip in? is there other boxes, harness connectors underneath?

What I'm saying is I'm not sure if the underdash wiring will hook up to the engine wiring harness. It is critical that it do so, so that the GEM works properly, your alarm works, and so that the OBD connector will work. That brings me to the next question. Will the OBD II connector under the dash work with your 95 being that it is setup for OBD I?

I suggest you start reading up on the factory wiring manuals.

Your also going to need the wiring harness for the tranny, the 4R70W tranny itself, and the 4404 AWD transfer case as well.

1995 Eddie Bauer W/ Bad Transmission

Hi,
I just picked up a 95 Eddie Bauer Explorer off of eBay, for $310, and it has a bad transmission. I have a 1997 Crown Vic with 4.6L V8 and 4 speed Automatic Transmission (do not know the model, could find out), this was an old police car, with the P71 package. My question of course, is how hard is it to put the V8/tranny out of my Interceptor into this truck? Will it bolt right in, or will I have to buy motor mount/adapters? If I do not care about the 4x4, do I need to worry about the transfer case/front axel? Thanks for your time, I really need to know if it would be cheaper/easier to rebuild or replace the transmission. The setup out of the Crown Vic has 132k, and was serviced religiously by the POPO.

C.

Back