Sway bar bushings relacement problem | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Sway bar bushings relacement problem

redneck999

Reaction score
City, State
Oakwood, Illinois
Year, Model & Trim Level
94XLT
Just ordered the energy suspension sway bar bushings #4.5106R and the main and started comparing them against each other and the new bushings that go around the main bar and to the frame are different sizes. the new ones are solid and the old ones have a square hole at the top and the old ones are taller by an inch or so. Did I order the wrong ones or what? 1994 and 4WD

Yeah, wrong part. The 4.5106 kit is made for a 1 in. swaybar and is only 2.5 in. tall.

The part you want is 4.5115, which is a 23mm swaybar (stock size), and 3.5 in. tall. I suggest leaving the "R" off the part number, (R just means a red bushing) and just getting the black, graphite impregnated bushings. They look stock and squeak less.

You also might be interested to hear you can get a complete Energy Suspension master bushing set (radius arm bushings, axle pivot bushings, front & rear sway bar bushings, rear spring & shackle bushings & tie rod end boots) for the 91-94 4x4 for about $100, which is a heck of a better deal than the sway bar bushings for $20-30, especially since it comes with the radius arm bushings. Going to polyurethane on both the front and rear swaybars and endlinks makes a big difference, too.

Ditto to every bit of that, I love the polyurethane, and the graphite type.

The only other thing to consider is the end link length, if the height is not stock. I have lowered mine enough that I chose not to use the long links for my front, just the frame bushings. You want the sway bar to be parallel to the lower control arms. Good luck,

Just called Summit and they said sorry and are sending the correct ones! Yeah!

Back