• Register Today It's free!

Sway Bar info

fyrfyter612

Reaction score
City, State
Portage Lakes, OH
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Ford Explorer Sport
Does anyone know the diameter of the stock sway bars on 2004 Explorers. My front bushing are starting to creak again. They did last year and I greased them real good which quieted them down. This time I want to replace all the front and rear sway bar bushings with polyurethane ones from Energy Suspension. The bad thing is they don't show a listing for them and Summit Racing shows 2 different sizes. I called Summit and they said I'd have to measure the diameter of the bars. So I figured I'd ask my fellow Explorer owners here before I go measuring.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sounds like you are going to have to get your back dirty:D I can measure mine to compare, but I don't know if Ford changed them from 02 to 05. Also, I took mine off last year and greased them up really good too, now they are back to squeaking! So if things work out for you, I may do the same.

Also, what have you been up to lately? I haven't noticed you around too much.

Not much....working and was spending alot of time getting my boat ready for the summer. Shipping the Explorer back to the body shop in July to replace the liftgate panel and repair the back bumper. I'll have to measure the bars when I get a chance to...Summit racing is selling 2 different size kits for $20-$25 each...and they include bushings for both bars and all links.....and supposed to make it handle alot better.

I'm not 100% sure but I believe the explorers with the higher tow package came with the larger sway bars. So of you have the big boy hitch and 3.73 gears then. Best bet is go with the bigger bar

I just looked into this myself because I am thinking about upgrading the sway bars.

Eibach has a kit that has a 35mm front/22mm bar. But, based on what is on Summit's web site, the replacement bushings are either 25mm or 28.5mm.

I'm guessing Eibach doesn't sell too many of those rear bars, since they're smaller than stock...

Well.....I found a company that carries polyurethane bushings and ordered them. Got the from Prothane and just waiting for them to show up. I ordered bushings for the front and rear sway bars. Guess I'll see if they make an improvement in handling soon. I'll update this post once I get them installed.

Back