sway bar link and bushing replacement | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

sway bar link and bushing replacement

That's good to know they've adapted. I have two sets of the graphite ES bushings that I bought on closeout at RockAuto a while ago. Haven't installed either since I removed the sway bar again.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've got the Moog Problem Solver front sway bar links on my Trac, the ones that use the poly bushings. I like 'em, and they're a lot easier to install than regular ones because of the barrel nut they use. All the hardware is grade 8 too. I sprayed them with undercoating wax and used antisieze on the threads, so they should pretty much never rust too.

swshawaii, I just went through the 2 last links you posted. Are you certain that the rear sway bar frame bushings ES kit would work considering the bracket didn't seem to fit according to the 2 previous reference link in your last post? If so, that only leaves the Ford OE as the only option which aren't poly

oz- For a bolt on solution without modification, order either the Ford bushing or the 4.5153G kit.
I recently read that Ford changed the sway bar frame bushing material to thermoplastic rubber.

swshawaii, I went with your advice... i'm returning these Moog and going with the ES for my RWD as you suggested. I want to stick with poly and one brand. You'd think companies like ES would fix their compatibility charts to take in more revenue. By the way, you're probably aware that the OE frame bushings that go around the entire frame of the ST seem to have disintegrated for many drivers...any recommendations on these?

my guess is that it would probably cost me $150 in labor costs...do you think these bushings are going to make a big difference? Is it really worthwhile?

Only if all the other suspension parts are not worn. Good tires and shocks are a priority, replacing bushings should follow.
I was assuming you were doing the work yourself. While $150 doesn't seem excessive, I believe the majority here would choose to do the work themselves. If possible, list what's been replaced on your 2001 ST, and miles on the odometer.

sorry my previous message was in reference to the frame bushings

Search "body mounts/bushings" in this ST sub forum. Those that had them shop installed paid at least $500 labor.

wow...that's a lot. I usually cut my labor costs in half by finding someone off craigslist. I'm going to see if I can find someone who has the equipment. Thx swshawaii :)

Search "body mounts/bushings" in this ST sub forum. Those that had them shop installed paid at least $500 labor.

Hi swshawaii.... Getting reading to install the kit, is it okay that I do it on a slanted driveway? Do I have to retighten it on a flat surface afterwards (not sure if I'll have enough clearance when it's flat and I don't have a jack)? I plan to backup the vehicle on the slanted drive way to do the rears as well..

Sway bar kits right? Keep the suspension loaded with both tires straight and on the ground. Left and right should
be level. Start with the end links followed by the frame bushings. Rear end link bushings are easily removed with a
propane torch, albeit messy with lots of smoke. Be very careful, and use a bucket of water to catch dripping rubber.

just to clarify, are you saying that i must do the installation on a flat level surface without any tilt like my driveway? and with regard to the torch, are you suggesting to burn off the rubber or just heat up the bolts to losen up for removal?

Does NOT need to be on a level surface. Left and right tires MUST be evenly weighted.
Front end links can usually be removed with wrenches, cut if necessary. I was referring
to torching REAR end link bushings. PLEASE use tire chocks along with the parking brake.

thanks swshawaii...going to start on the fronts now :)

hey swshawaii, just got done with the fronts...(my back is killing me). What should the torque settings be for the front and back? Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Front end links tight enough until you can barely turn the center sleeves by hand. (12-15 ft/lbs)

Rear end links about 60 ft/lbs top and bottom w/ Loctite. Front and rear frame bushings 30 ft/lbs.

Back