Sway bar link install question

shane10

Reaction score
City, State
MW
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer XLS
4WD
Hi all, I have a question regarding installing new sway bar end links. I had my car jacked up a few days ago to do some other work, and figured it would be a good time to put in my new sway bar links (moog) for my 02 explorer xls.
This should be the simplest of repairs, but however when I tried to put the new links in, they seemed to be about 1/2-1 inch too long, and wouldn't fit between the LCA and sway bar.
They are the right part, I checked on multiple sites. Is it as simple as loosening the sway bar itself to make room for the links to fit?
Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Don't even have to loosen the sway bar frame bushing brackets. Tires must be on the ground, preferably straight.

Depending on which Moog replacements, sometimes easier to have the bolt heads down with the older K7275 links.

Don't even have to loosen the sway bar frame bushing brackets. Tires must be on the ground, preferably straight.

Depending on which Moog replacements, sometimes easier to have the bolt heads down with the older K7275 links.

Ah tires on the ground, I had it up on the lift. I'll try that out, thanks

Got the fronts installed using your advice. Having the same problem with the rear now though, there doesn't seem to be enough clearance to get the bushing to fit and get the top nut on.

ST's same as Gen 2 and have a completely different rear end link setup. Nothing in the 2002 workshop manual either. GL

ST's same as Gen 2 and have a completely different rear end link setup. Nothing in the 2002 workshop manual either. GL

Late reply. I ended up taking the rear wheels off and using the jack (while on stands) under the control arm to get it to the right place, was easy from there.
Thanks

Back