• Register Today It's free!

Sway Bar Link Question

strizzlow20

Reaction score
City, State
Sebastian, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Explorer 4X4 SOHC
I am replacing the sway bar links and not the sway bar bushings. Do I have to remove the entire sway bar in order to replace the links? Any guidance to an old post or advice is appreciated. I was going to do this by removing the entire bar but if Im not replacing the sway bar bushings I don't see the need. Thank you.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Nope, Just take the nut off the bottom of each end link and go from there. Might want to cut it if it won't come off since you're replacing them.

I had to cut mine off. They were super-glued on, if you will. And as if case hardened. Have a sharp cutter handy. 97 5.0 AWD.

I didn't have any cutting tools when I had to cut it, I used a drill. Worked perfectly... A lil redneck but it worked..

Thanks! I just wanted to check. I don't have to replace the sway bar bushings do I?

Thanks! I just wanted to check. I don't have to replace the sway bar bushings do I?

i would replace them if they have not been, but that is just me (one less thing to do later on, 2 birds w/one stone kinda thing) plus they are not very much $ or hard to disassemble(4 bolts), so to me that is worth it.

but check them out you may not feel you need to.

Where can I get the sway bar bushing? I checked Auto Zone and Advanced Auto and cant get them.

Back