• Register Today It's free!

Sway Bar missing clips

Damage82

Reaction score
City, State
Staten Island, New York
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Ford Explorer XLT
Went to get my oil changed and mechanic told me that both the clips for the sway bar were missing. I replaced my front wheels and have been getting a sick vibration in the front. I had it balanced and it helped out a little but still bad on highways. Im not the most mechaniclly inclined and Im looking for some info.
If both clips are missing than what is holding the sway bar in place?
How much is it to replace the clips and how hard is it to do?
Any other info is a plus too...Thanks boys.

On the 3rd gens the sway bar is connected to the frame by large brackets and is also bolted at each end to the lower control arm. There are no clips, they are actually called sway bar links. It is very common on any car for these bolts to rust and fall out. The bolts are about $10 each which include 4 bushings and caps, a tube spacer and a bolt and nut. I recommend the Moog brand replacements because the spacer is actually metal the stock one is just plastic and I don't want to use plastic parts on my suspension. If they are missing they will not cause a vibration it will just create more body roll when turning. They simply bolt right in, I replaced mine in less than 10 minutes....

As for the vibration i would have your u-joints checked out. My dad's f-150 used to vibrate horribly on the highways when it reached 40+ mph. The u-joints are attached to each end of the driveshaft and wear out over time, it causes the driveshaft to become unbalanced and wobble at higher speeds. You can check them by laying underneath your truck and pushing up on the driveshaft, if it moves you need to have them replaced.

Thanks man appreciate the info. It's a tough ride on that NJ turnpike with that vibration, hahahaha. I'm definitely gonna check that out thanks again.

no problem... good luck with the repairs

Back