• Register Today It's free!

Sway bar questions

chad

Reaction score
City, State
Anchorage, Alaska
Year, Model & Trim Level
Explorer XL 1992
Has anyone disconnected their sway bars and if so what kind of on-road manners did you experience? Also when we lift are trucks should we be extending the sway bar links for the front and rear. I only have a 2.5" lift on my truck but I can't help but think that the sway bars are preloaded because of the lift. With dual front shocks I have very little sway in the corners but I don't want a sway monster if I take off the front sway bar.

Chad,
We have a 1992 XLT with a Duff 2.5" lift. Added to the lift is the Warrior shackles and the rear springs are replaced with the OME 2" springs. The front of the truck is lifted about 3" over stock and the rear is a little more than 3.5" over stock. We use rs9000 shocks all the way around and NO SWAY BARS at all.

When I drive the truck I don't notice it.. I also drive a Ford e-150 with no sway bars.. that one I notice..

It does sway.. especially on windy days on the freeway but I don't mind it. I can drive 60ish down the twisty/bumpy 2 lane road to the freeway (speed limit 50) with no problem. I did get a chance to ride in a vehicle behind our explorer and get to watch the ride of our explorer from the back.. It does definately sway..

If we were to put any sway bars back on the truck it would be the front. I don't have room in the rear for them.. I already hit the shocks on the rear sway bar mounts (with the sway bar removed) when I flex the suspension.

2.5" of lift is where you start to have to possibly put in sway bar drops.. The easy way to tell is to disconnect one side (when it is on level ground) and then try ti reinstall it.. If you can't get it reinstalled easily then it is preloaded and you might benifit with the sway bar drop..

Personally I don't mind the sway.. I'm used to it and it is controllable but it does scare the heck out of my friend who is used to driving his Eagle Talon turbo AWD that has 0 sway at all (almost hurts to ride in it.. but it is setup for cornering.. not wheeling)

Back