Swaying at high speeds | Ford Explorer - Ford Ranger Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Swaying at high speeds

Exploder850

Reaction score
City, State
Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
'04 XLT
Anyone experience swaying at high speeds over 60+? It's very annoying and it feels like it's coming from the rear. I've recently replaced the UCA+ Ball joints, Sway bar links, Sway bar bushings, and installed 4 brand new quick struts w/ 4 wheel alignment. Tires are rotated and balanced. Today was very windy on the interstate but I didn't notice any other SUV/Trucks swaying as bad as I was and it also occurs when not windy.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

scdix50

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
New Castle, Delaware
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008 XLT
You need to keep at least 35 PSI on all four corners. I run at lots of roads in the south & west that are 65-75 mph. The only time I do notice sway when there is a strong cross wind or BIG trucks fly pass.

Exploder850

Reaction score
City, State
Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
'04 XLT
I just ran the PSI and I have 35 on both in the front and 34 on both in the rear. I'll top it off to see if it helps.

gtyates

Reaction score
City, State
Goodlettsville Tennessee
Year, Model & Trim Level
'09 Sport Trac, '17 Explo
My '04 developed a high speed sway. On ours it was the rear wheel bearings. Not a cheap repair. We did have rear end noise also. By sitting in the back seat while my wife drove it I was able to pinpoint the noise was the bearings. I also had her drive it and I followed her in my truck. When she said she felt the sway I was seeing tire movement at the same time. Ours flaired up while traveling home from a vacation trip. Thought it was the wind at first, but then realized something else was happening.

Exploder850

Reaction score
City, State
Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
'04 XLT
Did you replace the entire hub or just the wheel bearings? That was my next guess on top of the fact I need new rotors. As far as I know everything is OE with 150k miles on it so it's probably time to replace the wheel bearings. Can someone direct me on which brand to get? I'm shopping on rock auto and don't know which to buy. And would it be a good idea to go ahead and replace the two up front?

xlt03

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Bay Point, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Sport
Get Timken bearings. I did the hubs also on the basis since it's a PITA job and I didn't want to come back for some else. Basically, I would say it's a personal preference. Are you doing this yourself or send to shop? There is a sticky on top for rear bearings.

seanddrisc

Reaction score
City, State
jefferson city,mo
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 mercury mountaineer
check sway bar end links too