• Register Today It's free!

Swaying at high speeds

Exploder850

Reaction score
City, State
Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
'04 XLT
Anyone experience swaying at high speeds over 60+? It's very annoying and it feels like it's coming from the rear. I've recently replaced the UCA+ Ball joints, Sway bar links, Sway bar bushings, and installed 4 brand new quick struts w/ 4 wheel alignment. Tires are rotated and balanced. Today was very windy on the interstate but I didn't notice any other SUV/Trucks swaying as bad as I was and it also occurs when not windy.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You need to keep at least 35 PSI on all four corners. I run at lots of roads in the south & west that are 65-75 mph. The only time I do notice sway when there is a strong cross wind or BIG trucks fly pass.

I just ran the PSI and I have 35 on both in the front and 34 on both in the rear. I'll top it off to see if it helps.

My '04 developed a high speed sway. On ours it was the rear wheel bearings. Not a cheap repair. We did have rear end noise also. By sitting in the back seat while my wife drove it I was able to pinpoint the noise was the bearings. I also had her drive it and I followed her in my truck. When she said she felt the sway I was seeing tire movement at the same time. Ours flaired up while traveling home from a vacation trip. Thought it was the wind at first, but then realized something else was happening.

Did you replace the entire hub or just the wheel bearings? That was my next guess on top of the fact I need new rotors. As far as I know everything is OE with 150k miles on it so it's probably time to replace the wheel bearings. Can someone direct me on which brand to get? I'm shopping on rock auto and don't know which to buy. And would it be a good idea to go ahead and replace the two up front?

Get Timken bearings. I did the hubs also on the basis since it's a PITA job and I didn't want to come back for some else. Basically, I would say it's a personal preference. Are you doing this yourself or send to shop? There is a sticky on top for rear bearings.

check sway bar end links too

Back