Sweet place to mount 1" tweeters | Ford Explorer - Ford Ranger Forums - Serious Explorations
  • Register Today It's free!

Sweet place to mount 1" tweeters

LudusHatesReese

Reaction score
City, State
Pearland, Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 Sport 4.0L
So I acquired another pair of speakers and I ran out of places to put them. Seeing as how the stock 1st gen Xs only come with 4 speakers and i wanted to add two morre to make my total 8, i had to do some fenagling. I took off the door panels and drilled holes just above the window and door lock buttons, ran the wires for the tweeters down to my other speakers and just hooked them in with wire nuts. I know its pretty ghetto, but it looks real cool. Almost professional if you will. Anyone else have cool custom mounts or pics? I'd like to see so i can get some ideas for my next pair of speakers.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

aldive

Elite In Memoriam
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 XLT
Wire nuts are not a suitable way to secure the wire connections.

jimbo74

Elite Exploder
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Nor*Cal
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001, F150, XLT 4x4
Originally posted by aldive
Wire nuts are not a suitable way to secure the wire connections.

I beg to differ....in SOME instances they are not good.... i wouldnt use them for car audio instalations, i would solder the connection than use shrink wrap..... however wire nuts are the only LEGAL way to splice together wires in a house.. case in point, they are metal sleeved, and in electrical resistance the solid metal has a higher resistance point because it is metal, as solder becomes impractical and also melts at a very low temperature.....

Originally posted by LudusHatesReese
I took off the door panels and drilled holes just above the window and door lock buttons, ran the wires for the tweeters down to my other speakers and just hooked them in with wire nuts. I know its pretty ghetto, but it looks real cool. Almost professional if you will.
i would solder them and use heatshrink.... wire nuts have a tendency to fall of thinner guage car audio wire, and a solder conection will be able to run more efficiently.... Also, make sure your stereo or amp can handle the extra ohm load....... if your stereo is 4 ohh, and you are running [2] 4 ohm speakers, it changes the composition into a 2 ohm load......

aldive

Elite In Memoriam
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 XLT
Originally posted by jimabena74
I beg to differ....in SOME instances they are not good.... i wouldnt use them for car audio instalations, i would solder the connection than use shrink wrap..... however wire nuts are the only LEGAL way to splice together wires in a house..

You are correct for a HOUSE, but not a moving vehicle. It is subject to jarring, bumps, vibrations and eie nuts are definately NOT suitable.

Further, in a boat, with similar vibrations, they are simply illlegal for original wiring ( hard to control what some fool will doi after purchase. ).

When it comes to wiring, there is only ONE way to do it, the CORRECT way.

jimbo74

Elite Exploder
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Nor*Cal
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001, F150, XLT 4x4
Originally posted by aldive
When it comes to wiring, there is only ONE way to do it, the CORRECT way.

I know, that is why i said what i said above..

in a house, solder ISNT allowed...

automotive should be soldered, and in a house should be wire nutted....

jimbo74

Elite Exploder
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Nor*Cal
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001, F150, XLT 4x4
aq, it wont let me see the pic... all i get is image hosted by angelfire and no pic....

LudusHatesReese

Reaction score
City, State
Pearland, Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 Sport 4.0L
I'm sorry you guys feel that way, but the master electician that watched me do it didn't seem to have a problem. I'm sorry that using the resources at hand is unacceptable to you. It works, and the wire nuts i used instead of a $10 wire harness to hook up my HU seem to be holding up fine. Just because its not kosher doesn't mean it wrong. My system is just as bitchin as the next, and i did it all myself.

jimbo74

Elite Exploder
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Nor*Cal
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001, F150, XLT 4x4
ludus, i wasnt ragging on you..... that is cool that you did it yourself...... and an electrician would have no problem with the nuts..... in his trade, that is all they use... solder just isnt capable of handling household current..... but solder and heatshrink is the way to go for car audio, a house isnt exposed to all the jarring and vibrations that a truck is subject too......

VairKing

Midwest-Xplorer Member
Reaction score
City, State
Kalamazoo, Michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 EB V8 AWD
I kinda have to agee with Ludis, even tho it isnt the correct way, he used what he had layin around. Personally, I dont usually take the time to solder wires together, I usually just twist them and wrap them in electrical tape. Works just fine for me. Different people do things different ways, and I say if it works, more power to ya.

jimbo74

Elite Exploder
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Nor*Cal
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001, F150, XLT 4x4
trust me, i am the king of ghetto rigged..... but since taking apart the door is tedious, i would personally rather spend the extra 10 minutes to do it right the first time than the half hour to fix it when it untwists itself......

LudusHatesReese

Reaction score
City, State
Pearland, Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 Sport 4.0L
i'm well aware you're one of the cool people here at the site. that wasn't directed towards you. i like working within my means, and when some hotshot thinks there's only one way to do things it ticks me off.he would never know the difference unless i told them.

99explorer5.0

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
RI
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 XLT 5.0L
i figured i would jump into this because i have nothing else to do. Wire nuts are deffinatly not a good way to do car audio because of the bumps and stuff. But if you used wire nuts and taped them to the wire so that way they wouldnt be able to fall off then you are all set.

If that falls off and the connection comes into contact with any medal part of your car that can lead to problems. Major problems. IF your lucky you will only blow a fuse. If you have bad luck you can blow something a little more expensive.

Why didnt you just twist the wire together and tape it?

LudusHatesReese

Reaction score
City, State
Pearland, Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 Sport 4.0L
i take it you know this from experience 99explorer. thanks for the insight, and for not being a butthead about it. some people should take notice of the way you handled this post.

LudusHatesReese

Reaction score
City, State
Pearland, Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 Sport 4.0L
oh, and i have taped a lot of my wires. i ran out of tape and didn't wanna get anymore so i got some nuts from the electrican from across the street. in fact he suggested them.

99explorer5.0

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
RI
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 XLT 5.0L
i hate running out of stuff .... seems like when i dont need something i have plenty of it but when i do need it i either cant find it or i run out.

jimbo74

Elite Exploder
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Nor*Cal
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001, F150, XLT 4x4
Originally posted by 99explorer5.0
i hate running out of stuff .... seems like when i dont need something i have plenty of it but when i do need it i either cant find it or i run out.

LOL....same way with my tools.... i can find everything when i look for something except the tool i am looking for......

LudusHatesReese

Reaction score
City, State
Pearland, Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 Sport 4.0L
back to the subject at hand, i'm thinking of putting in another pair of 6.5s in my ex just for poops and giggles. i have run out of idaes though, and was wondering if ya'll had any ideas.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

AQexplorer

Reaction score
City, State
Abingdon, Va
Year, Model & Trim Level
'95 XLT
i doubt it would work...but ive thought about placing some small speakers 3" or 4" on each side of the center console. I may also place a set of 3" or so on the plastic panels above the rear passenger seatbelt swivel. One other thought was to put some medium size speakers in the back door, or at least in the back somewhere.

Ive heard that placing too many speakers in your car makes it sound bad, but it seems to me that the more the better.