• Register Today It's free!

Swiching to Jeep axles

92Dora

Reaction score
City, State
Stuart, Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 Ford Explorer
I just recently aquirred a jeep cj7 with no motor or trans....found three of the the rims are for it out on the property its at but im trading the whole thing except the axles to my friend for a 4x4 blazer....but Im wondering if its a good idea to switch to the jeep axles I dont know what type axle it is but im pretty sure that thier not the stock on cause the cj rims and tires from my friends wont fit on it....is there any problem that I could have by running stock t-case and everything else then going and slapping some beefed up jeep axles on it....

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

For starters the 8.8 rear axle you have now is much better than that J**P one. Also the J**P axles are narrower than the Explorers so they would have to be widened.

they are wider than a regular cjs...or atleast they look it....i was figuring they would be better

Well w/o knowing exactly which axles you have, we cant determine whether or not these axles are "better". So first step is identification ;)

yeah well i dont kwno how i could find out if it doesnt have it on there somewhere....cause i got it from some guy who took it in trade for some other stuff and he planned to use its body and frame....so he doesnt know...and the people who owned it are mia...so i dont knwo how id find out if its not on a badge on there somewhere

Find out the year and then ask on a J**P forum. They could tell you.

yeah well im not sure if there even cj axles...i think someone may have converted it to some different truck axles...like how some people on here put f150 front axles on there explorers and rangers

post a couple of pictures and we might be able to help you more.

I may be able to get some pictures up either tomorrow or the day after

the front is a dana 30 and the rear is most likly a amc 20 but could also be a dana 44.....all three that i have listed are weaker than the ex axles...plus the pinion is on the wrong side.....oh and jeep made 2 widths....wide track...and narrow track....their is a 3 inch differance between the two....

Back