• Register Today It's free!

swing away tire carrier.

Frank Kuhl

Reaction score
City, State
McLean Virginia
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Explorer XLT V6 SOHC
Hi i am wanting to to get a swing away tire carrier on my 1999 explorer xlt like the bronco has. i think this would help even out the weight and make my spare more assessable. dose anyone know if it would be possible to attach a swing away tire carrier on my explorer? is the bronco or bronco II swing away tire carrier attachable to an explorer. is it an easy thing to attach? thank you.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Easy? No.
Doable? Anything is possible.

The interior of the rear corner will have to be fortified with welded steel tube to have a mounting point for the carrier. Bolting to the body alone will fail miserably.

Your best bet is to make a custom bumper and have the swing arm attached right to the bumper. There have been a few guys on the forum that have gone with the bumper route with good success.

there is a thread on here with links to a bumper with an option for a swing out spare tire carrier. its pricy, but the quality is amazing

you can also get hitch mounted swing down or swing away rear tire carriers, or even make one. whats nice about this option is you can drop the weight when you dont need it

the disadvantage to the hitch mount spare tire carrier is if you off road at all it tends to bottom out, and hurt approach angles

Frank -

I built mine with parts from the local pick-n-pull. The bumper is a James Duff and I made the tire carrier with parts from the tire carriers off a Bronco I, Bronco II and Chevy Trail Blazer. I used a basic arc welder and its lasted 5 years with no plroblems.
qzg51s.jpg

Badge thats a nice setup. Did you happen to document a how-to for that?

Back