Swing Down Tire Carrier

Elessar65

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Wichita, Ks
Year, Model & Trim Level
17 F150 EcoBoost 4x4
Whilst drinking beer and surfing the web for stuff for my truck last night, I was looking at options for mounting my spare tire. Since its going to be oversize it won't fit under the truck, and I don't want it inside since I have a Sport and there's not that much room in the anyways. Was thinking about getting a safari rack, cause then I would have a place to mount lights, hi-lift, etc. but then i got to thinking about how much fun it would be getting it up there. Especially if I'm alone, obviously getting it down would be easy enough lol. Long story short, I want a swing out carrier that will mount to my hitch, but those are pricey. I saw a cool one that swings down on a zuk forum and that got me thinking... What if i take a regular hitch mount tire carrier like this one http://www.etrailer.com/pc-FMH~c31006.htm?utm_source=froogle&utm_medium=ppc and cut it and put in some kind of hinge? I don't know what kind of hinge to use though. Or even if this would work at all. Any thoughts? This seemed like an easy/cheap idea. Perhaps too easy/cheap?

If you do add your own hinge, remember that you will need something to hold it in the up position. A pin like what holds the receiver in or something.

Back