swingout tire carrier on 2008 xlt? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

swingout tire carrier on 2008 xlt?

expofl

Reaction score
City, State
Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008 Explorer
I'm interested in building a swing out tire carrier to carry a 33" spare and my hi lift, but bumpers on the 2008 models arent easy to make fit. I noticed the factory receiver hitch is welded on, which may lend itself to being used as a welding point for an arm to carry the tire.

my question is this: would that hitch be able to take the weight of the tire, the metal, the hi-lift and a few other small additions? it's supposed to be able to withstand a 300 lb tongue weight, so I figure it would take it. Any input is welcomed.

O ya, the design will basically be a hinge using a 6400 belltech shackle I have left over from my previous ranger welded to a 2" square tube and then secured using a latch. Its a 2008 xlt model, with a 2" hitch under the factory one so the carrier wouldn't be hindering the function on the hitch

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Might wanna look at HitchGate.com. I just built my custom swing out tire carrier on my '03 Sport Trac but that was by no means easy due to the fact my bumper is plastic and has a plastic cover. Do a bunch of measuring and mocking up of parts, etc... before you do the final build.

Also check out Mounty09's build... "New tire carrier & New pictures" in the modified 95-01 Ex section.

Thanks for the direction! I'll probably look into that simple tire carrier build eventually. Did you run into any support issues using the angled steel?

I like the ability to just swing the spare tire instead of lifting it, and being able to attach my hi lift to it, but that other design seems pretty simple to build.

p.s.- i love your sport trac, it looks like it should have come like that from the factory.

You gotta call James w/RLC Welding.....he's making mine....502-403-6832

The hardest part was notching the factory bumper cover and re-enforcement enough to clear the angled steel and not sacrifice any while doing it.

I notched the angled steel to fit onto the bodylift bumper bracket, re-enforced it with a couple different gussets.

If I had the money I would have RLC build me a bumper but I think by the end of summer if I can swing it I'll just build my own.

The hardest part was notching the factory bumper cover and re-enforcement enough to clear the angled steel and not sacrifice any while doing it.

I notched the angled steel to fit onto the bodylift bumper bracket, re-enforced it with a couple different gussets.

If I had the money I would have RLC build me a bumper but I think by the end of summer if I can swing it I'll just build my own.

I'm sure it's all dependent on what you want but his prices "seem" to be half to a quarter of what other brand names charge. You should at least shoot him an email for giggles.

I already have the steel laying around so that saves a ton of money. I just have to find the time to remove everything and build the steel rear bumper. I came up with a design that's not like anything I've seen before, just need time and good weather. Maybe by the end of the summer I'll be able to build both front and rear bumpers.

I already have the steel laying around so that saves a ton of money. I just have to find the time to remove everything and build the steel rear bumper. I came up with a design that's not like anything I've seen before, just need time and good weather. Maybe by the end of the summer I'll be able to build both front and rear bumpers.

Dude...you should post a drawing or something so we can see!

It's still in my head, I need to figure out how to use Google Sketchup alot better so I can put it to a picture.

I usually I just make a mock up out of wood or cardboard and then build from that because I work better hands on when I design something.

I'll try and practice more on G.S. but I'm not too good with computers.

Back