• Register Today It's free!

Switch to Amsoil

coey_78

Reaction score
City, State
Kansas, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 XLT
Well after a lot of research and reading I have made the switch to Amsoil. I opted for the 5W30 variety. I changed it this morning with 67,000 miles on the clock. I also used the engine flush before changing the oil. I was wondering if I made a good decision by doing this or not. And was also wondering when I should change oil/filter since this is the first time synthetic has been in her.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I don't use Amsoil but I just asked my son and he said when he first put Amsoil in he changed both the oil and the filter at around 6,000 miles. Then twice a year for both. But he puts a lot of tough miles on his trucks.

bump Anyone else?

I am an Amsoil user.

I feel the flush is a waste of money, however, it will do no harm.

I wouldn't be concerned with a short OCI and filter change.

Good luck ....

I feel the flush is a waste of money, however, it will do no harm.

I won't start the whole "synthetic" debate again, but recommendation is to change your oil and filter in a short period of time. Flushing can loosen deposits that were building up in your engine, and those deposits can get stuck in oil passage-ways and gum things up. I'd change it after 1500 miles, and again at 3000 miles.

Personal opinion of course.

I've found Seafoam loosens up more internal sludge than ordinary motor flush. I wonder why no local auto parts stores (or any that I've been in) sell Amsoil products. Are they strictly purchased from their website, or are they available in some auto parts stores?

My local Citgo Lube Center carries Amsoil. They're the only service center that I know of though... I've located a few independent dealers, but they don't perform any services.

After working some figures, I decided to become an Amsoil preferred customer when I bought the fluids for my transfer case and differentials. I ended up spending right around $90 including my 6-month membership and shipping on enough fluid for both diffs, the transfer case, and enough left over to put in the power steering. Had I not ordered the $10 6-month membership, I was looking at around $130 for everything.

I would say it pays in most situations to get the trial membership.

I don't recall an exact % of savings.

I believe I saved between $2-4 per bottle. I ordered 3 quarts of fluid for the rear diff, 2 quarts for the front diff, and I believe 2 quarts for the transfer case... can't remember. Oh yeah, and a bottle of additive for my limited-slip rear. The 6-month trial membership was only $10 and I atleast saved that much.

I think my original numbers were off... I probably saved around $20 overall. Its been a while, but I'll see if I can dig up my paperwork tomorrow sometime. Its 2am here and I have a final exam at 8am, BLAH!

Well after a lot of research and reading I have made the switch to Amsoil. I opted for the 5W30 variety. I changed it this morning with 67,000 miles on the clock. I also used the engine flush before changing the oil. I was wondering if I made a good decision by doing this or not. And was also wondering when I should change oil/filter since this is the first time synthetic has been in her.

I typically average 10-15k on the oil ... once a year. Oil analysis has showed it being a bit dirtier with the higher mileage so I will probably start sticking to about 10k. I use the 0W30. Haven't switched to the EaO filter yet, as I've got a stockpile of the SDF filter.

I've found Seafoam loosens up more internal sludge than ordinary motor flush. I wonder why no local auto parts stores (or any that I've been in) sell Amsoil products. Are they strictly purchased from their website, or are they available in some auto parts stores?

I get my Amsoil directly from a dealer (well, I'm also a dealer technically). Saves shipping, since he goes to the warehouse and picks it up. However, we also have a local parts store that sells it, and a local quick lube that will use Amsoil for your oil change. It's a question of how big they are. If you want Autozone to sell Amsoil, you have to "sell" corporate on it, not the local store. If it's an independent shop, then they'd be more open to it, especially after they start selling a lot of it!

Back