Switched to park while driving 50+ mph | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Switched to park while driving 50+ mph

Outofurgourd

Reaction score
City, State
Mission Viejo CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer ST
Just bought a new 2020 Ford Explorer ST and literally on the way home from the dealer I was trying to switch drive modes and instead used the drive selector and switched to park. All that happened was it went to netural and red light flashed and I switched back quickly.

Was wondering if anyone knows if there is like a built in feature that would prevent the vehicle from breaking itself... or should I be worried.

Sounds normal to me.

Just bought a new 2020 Ford Explorer ST and literally on the way home from the dealer I was trying to switch drive modes and instead used the drive selector and switched to park. All that happened was it went to netural and red light flashed and I switched back quickly.

Was wondering if anyone knows if there is like a built in feature that would prevent the vehicle from breaking itself... or should I be worried.
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
It operated as designed to prevent damage to components. I accidentally shifted my '64 Cadillac into Reverse on the highway one time :eek: and the engine just shut off. No damage.

Peter

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
It operated as designed to prevent damage to components. I accidentally shifted my '64 Cadillac into Reverse on the highway one time :eek: and the engine just shut off. No damage.

Peter
I know someone had a similar incident in a Honda years ago and their transmission was gone, no fail mechanism on those 😱

Back