Switching to manual hubs | Page 2 | Ford Explorer - Ford Ranger Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

• Holiday Special! - 2 for 1 Elite Explorer sale!

Right now you can purchase an Elite Explorer membership for $20 and receive a two year membership! If you have an existing Elite membership contact me by PM and I will upgrade your account manually.

Click Here to start your membership and get rid of the ads!

jd4242

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
va beach
Year, Model & Trim Level
92explorer&94 ranger
But i will add which has worked GREAT...when you switch over to the manual hubs,take a dremel and notch the manual hub nut where the key way is on the shaft once everything is torqued down so the auto hub little key will fit it in and prevent the outer nut from backing off..

**If new bearings and everything. ..take for a break in and then re-torque everything. .then notch*****

Holiday Special! Join the Elite Explorers $20 for 2 years! Gets rid of the ads!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

massacre

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
‘94 Explorer
‘19 Nautilus
But i will add which has worked GREAT...when you switch over to the manual hubs,take a dremel and notch the manual hub nut where the key way is on the shaft once everything is torqued down so the auto hub little key will fit it in and prevent the outer nut from backing off..

**If new bearings and everything. ..take for a break in and then re-torque everything. .then notch*****

Do you have a pic of this?

jd4242

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
va beach
Year, Model & Trim Level
92explorer&94 ranger
Do you have a pic of this?
I do not but is pretty obvious once you pull the auto hubs out,the little key has to come out..then once you put the manual hubs on it will be very clear that key wont fit back in because the nuts arnt notched..

massacre

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
‘94 Explorer
‘19 Nautilus
Oh I see now, thanks for the clarity. I was having a hard time picturing what you were saying.
You want to notch the new nut to accept the old style “key” to keep the nut from backing off.
That is a great idea and I still have the keys and stuff from my old hubs.
To be honest I was hoping my days of having to deal with that key were over lmao!

jd4242

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
va beach
Year, Model & Trim Level
92explorer&94 ranger
Oh I see now, thanks for the clarity. I was having a hard time picturing what you were saying.
You want to notch the new nut to accept the old style “key” to keep the nut from backing off.
That is a great idea and I still have the keys and stuff from my old hubs.
To be honest I was hoping my days of having to deal with that key were over lmao!
Lol..yea definitely keeps the nut from backing off which seems to be an issue for alot of people, idk why though

massacre

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
‘94 Explorer
‘19 Nautilus
Lol..yea definitely keeps the nut from backing off which seems to be an issue for alot of people, idk why though

Thanks for the heads up I’ll keep an eye on that!

roscoe 0202

Reaction score
City, State
salt lake city utah
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 explorer sport
shouldn't back off if nuts are properly installed and torqued the inner adjusts bearing preload lock plate goes on over the pin in inner nut [you did install the pinned nut on the bearing with the pin out] then you put on the outer nut and torque it tight

roscoe

jd4242

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
va beach
Year, Model & Trim Level
92explorer&94 ranger
shouldn't back off if nuts are properly installed and torqued the inner adjusts bearing preload lock plate goes on over the pin in inner nut [you did install the pinned nut on the bearing with the pin out] then you put on the outer nut and torque it tight

roscoe
They still do,especially the driverside..ive seen them snap that little pin off on many once the outer nut comes loose..