SWITCHING TO SYNTHECIT MOTOR OIL MOBIL1 HOW TO PREPARE | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

SWITCHING TO SYNTHECIT MOTOR OIL MOBIL1 HOW TO PREPARE

Fischer

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Durango, Colorado
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 Explorer XLT 4x4
Okay, I went out and blew a load on Mobil1 and Mobil1 Filter. I have about 70K and as far as I know it has always had dino oil.

I plan on making the change tonight and I was curious if anyone has any hard learned info that they would like to share?

Should I do the Oil Flush thing or is that something I should not worry about?

Also I would hate to have to but a bunch of 10-12$ filters while the synth is cleaning the crud out. Is this a big worry about the filter getting clogged???

I have read everything from 'just drain and change oil and filter and no worries'
-------to-------
'Do the flush so the filter wont colg and make a huge mess'

on and on
thanks in advance for the info
:D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I feel strongly that the flush thing is a waste of your money and time.

I have used Mobile 1 in every vehicle I have owned for years ( including twin engine boats ) and all I did was drain the old ouil and add the Mobile 1 ( 5 w 30 in the Explorer ).

Good luck... others might like a flush, r3emember take everything you read with a graine,of salt.

Thanks

I guess that this is for peace of mind, just making sure that I am not going to make a costly mistake.

So I should be okay even at 70K.

Just for curiousity sake, what kind of boat do you run? I have a soft spot for boating and wakeboarding..

I believe you should be fine just chsnging it out. It won't hurt anything. I also run Mobile1 in my outboard. I own a 27.5 Proline 251WAC. Running Mobile1 in them has been the best thing we could do IMO.

Re: Thanks

Originally posted by Fischer
So I should be okay even at 70K.

Just for curiousity sake, what kind of boat do you run? I have a soft spot for boating and wakeboarding..

You should be fine if the motor is sound now and not leaking oil.

I run a 30" twin inboard the Giant Stride...

Attachments

• gsatdock.gif
    gsatdock.gif
    45.2 KB · Views: 195

That's a big Boy

My buddy and I have a blast out on the 22' 1979 RANGER. It runs a 350 Merc at about 260 horse. I thnk that we were running (scarry as hell) nearly 60 at Lake of the Ozarks this summer. Lots faster than Lake Navajo (Colorado / New Mexico) at about 7,000 feet.

It is nearly one of the first muscle/ski boats so it has quite a flat bottom and we were making those passes over 3' chop. That is what was scary, skipping along teeter-toddering on essentially the transoom. That makes me miss summer...

I switched to Mobil on my truck when it had 70k miles. Never had a problem.

Well that all makes me feel better. I'll let everyone know if there is any earth shatering happenings that are the child of switching to synth.

Haha well you do that. The only thing I noticed was a slightly quieter and smoother engine. Also probably about a 1 MPG mileage increase.

OOPS!!

I meant to thank you all and accidentially started a new thread. So thanks again. I am going home to make the change...

Yea wakeboarding....i have a Mastercraft X-star. I live on Lake Travis in Austin, Tx. I wakeboard and do all that good stuff. I started by standing up on kneeboards.....now that takes skill...i also have a 27 ft. Monterey with a Dual-prop 454 Volvo Penta in it....that is out Rec. boat...good times...good times.

Originally posted by Jason_25
Haha well you do that. The only thing I noticed was a slightly quieter and smoother engine. Also probably about a 1 MPG mileage increase.

Same here.

Back