Switching to synthetic engine oil

F14CRAZY

To the flo...
Reaction score
City, State
Dimondale, Michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 GT, '93 Limited
Howdy. I've done some reading from previous posts about synthetic engine oil, but none have fully answered what I would like to know...

Ok, a few months ago I bought my '92 4 door stick (in signature). Righy after I drove it from the used car lot, I had the oil drained and refilled with oil I supplied. I had it done at a Jiffy Lube since home was 670 miles away. (yes, I did drive that far to get it). They used a Pennzoil filter and filled it with my one quart of Mobil 1 5-30 and the rest conventional 5-30. (Advance Auto Parts brand if it matters. API certified, but that might not mean much)

Some people have said that it may be bad to switch to synthetic, since it has more detergent and would stir up sludge and plug up stuff and the synthetic would "find" places to leak. I am slowly switching to synthetic to limit the sludge being stirred up, so only a certain amount would be caught by the oil filter. I don't care about more leaks. Mobil 1s website FAQ says it's fine to switch, but I'm going by what you guys have said.

It uses a little oil, requiring a top up every other day. It usually gets maybe 30 miles of driving a day, both freeway and city (to and from school). Not leaking any significant amount, and no visible smoke.

So the other day, about 2200 miles later, I drained the oil and refilled with two quarts of Mobil 1, and the rest was Mobil Drive Clean (synthetic blend I guess). Both 5-30.

So far, nothing bad has happened. Oil pressure is the same or so at least the wannabe gauge doesn't complain. I haven't noticed the infamous 4.0 valve tick at any point sincr I have owned this truck.

Is what I'm doing logical to you guys? Is this idea really stupid?

Next time I change (probably 2500-3000 miles) I plan to going full Mobil 1.

I plan on keeping this truck for a long time. It runs strong and has 140,000 miles. I've heard that it's never too late to use synthetic, so I am. The axle and transmission both now have Mobil 1 variants also.

Thanks.

Note: I am also doing a similar switch with my '93 Limited.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i guess if your using oil currently in it topping it off every other day it is using oil somewhere along the lines, either burning it or dripping it. And yes, syhthetics have a way of finding the leaks a bit easier, so to you my answer is why switch? The cost to top of synthetic oil every other day can get pretty costly i would think. Also i'm not for blending synthetic oil with regular oil. By the way Advance auto parts oil i believe is Havoline.

I've heard before that you should not mix the two types of oils. Its possible you're causeing mroe harm than good. Try stepping up to 10W30. Its a little thicker and might possibly not leak out. We've used 10W30 in all of our cars with no problem.

There is nothing wrong with switch over to synthetic oil at any mileage Provided the engine was correctly maintained. Switching over to synthetic oil on a poorly maintaned engine is a waste of money and oil. The engine damage is already done. You'd just be wasting money, by putting in synthetic oil which just leaks out in a couple of days.

In your case, leak, I would fix that problem and then change to synthetic.

Good luck.....

The only advantage of synthetic oil is extended oil change intervals. Synthetics don't protect any better than conventional oils. Your engine won't last any longer with synthetics. If you really want to know more about engine oils, go here http://theoildrop.server101.com/cgi/ultimatebb.cgi

Techmonster: The truck does leak a little bit, but not a significant amount. I'm certain that it is burning a small amount, but there is no visible smoke when I step on it hard, start it up, etc. Mobil says that synthetic gets burned 8 times less compared to conventional, and I run it for only a few days with my current change. I have not had to top up yet.

IAmTodd: Mobil says it's fine to blend oil, and if it wasn't ok they would probably say so cuz they want me to buy more Mobil 1 that's worth its weight in gold (to the store, that is). I think I'll take your advice and move up to 10-30.

DeRocha: I would agree. This engine seems to be in pretty good shape, except that I don't know its previous history.

aldive: Since there is a small amount of leaking, I'll try tightening the pan gasket, valve covers, and anything else I can reach, although this is probably a futile attempt.

Thanks for the info.

85Dave said:
The only advantage of synthetic oil is extended oil change intervals. [/url]

Not quite true. One additional advantage is that synthetic oil improves gas mileage.

aldive said:
Not quite true. One additional advantage is that synthetic oil improves gas mileage.

Another advantage would be increased resistance to breakdown.

Superior protection from engine wear

Lower volatility for decreased oil consumption ("volatility" is the tendency of an oil to break down at extreme temperatures)

Better gas mileage

Easier start-ups at very cold temperatures (because they flow easier)

Greater viscosity (the "thickness" of an oil) at very high temperatures

Reduced engine deposits, which are the "by-products" of combustion in the engine

There is no problem with mixing the oils - you can even buy synthetic blend off the shelves.

IAmTodd said:
I've heard before that you should not mix the two types of oils. Its possible you're causeing mroe harm than good. Try stepping up to 10W30. Its a little thicker and might possibly not leak out. We've used 10W30 in all of our cars with no problem.

At 144k miles, I don't see the cost benefit of switching to full synthetic. Keep a case of oil in the back for topping off, change the oil regularly, and drive her till she dies.

I personally do a 1 quart full synthetic to 4 quarts regular at oil change time.

I switched at 176K on my Bronco II and it started to leak (but it did stop tapping).

i moved her over to mobil 1 full synthetic at 140,000 miles. Runs so much better and i get much better gas miles.
Very well looked after motor still runs very very sweet. Starts first time every time. She will be going a few more years yet on mobil 1

Back