Switching Trailer Hitches

chris8428

Reaction score
City, State
New Mexico
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Ford Explorer
HI All,

I have a 2005 Explorer with the 4litre, a 1.25 inch trailer hitch receiver and, of course no tow package. I am looking at bike racks and the rack I like is for a 2 inch receiver not my 1.25. I know I can buy an adaptor on line but I am concerned about how far out the bike rack will stick from the rear of the car at that point and how stable it will be. If I am understanding a couple of threads I have read here I can remove the plastic bumper and unbolt the 1.25 receiver. If I was to pull a 2 inch receiver from a salvage yard for the same generation Explorer would it be a direct bolt on? Would the plastic bumper still fit the same way or would the larger receiver cause issues?

I am not looking to tow anything, I just want the larger receiver for a bike rack.

Here are the threads I was referring to:

Chris

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

For the cleanest look, go to a wrecking yard (I’m in Atlanta and there’s plenty with tons of Explorers) and unbolt a 2” and swap them out.

Thank you both for the reply. Am I correct in assuming I will have to find an Explorer with a V8 to find one with a tow package and a 2 inch receiver? A local u-pull it yard has a bunch of Explorers with the six cylinder but only a few V8 models.

Chris

Thank you both for the reply. Am I correct in assuming I will have to find an Explorer with a V8 to find one with a tow package and a 2 inch receiver? A local u-pull it yard has a bunch of Explorers with the six cylinder but only a few V8 models.

Chris
No, any Explorer with the 3.73 rear end will probably have one, V6 or V8.

So after a trip to a salvage yard here is the final result. Thank you guys for your help.

2022-01-16 13.34.04.jpg

Back