• Register Today It's free!

Switching Trims??

edgar_88

Reaction score
City, State
San Diego, California
Year, Model & Trim Level
'03 XLT
I was wondering if it'd be possible to switch the side door trims on my XLT for the thinner ones of an XLS, i would prefer to take them off completely but dont want to bondo then paint over the holes ans what not. i think Donner did something similar but i couldnt really pin point it in his bumper thread, heres what i mean (NOTE: neither one of these are mine, i got them off of google):

P-8124A-1.jpg

this is the trim scheme i have, only my Ex is red-ish

200520Ford20Explorer20Truck_0162-1.jpg

this is what i want to get, just on the doors though, im kepping the front/rear bumpers

i just want to know if it'll work, i think the tire trim panel might get in the way, but not sure. Just making sure before i go ahead and just paint my trim black

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

XLS trim...

They will fit perfectly... the problems are: the trim over the front tire, the block by the door = 1 piece; the block behind the rear door and the part on the door curve = 1 piece.

You would need to buy XLS door trims the wrap under the vehicle... the good news is the XLS side panels are sold in 3 pieces. They all fit perfectly, except the smallest piece that goes on the front quarter panel near the tire. The wrap under fender flare and that piece crowd each other - so you wouldn't want the little pieces.

Attachments

• IMGA0021.JPG
    IMGA0021.JPG
    42.4 KB · Views: 202

it would not look good if you kept the front and rear bumpers....reason is your front bumper has a peice of wheel mouding attatched...it would stick out like a sore thumb

They will fit perfectly... the problems are: the trim over the front tire, the block by the door = 1 piece; the block behind the rear door and the part on the door curve = 1 piece.

You would need to buy XLS door trims the wrap under the vehicle... the good news is the XLS side panels are sold in 3 pieces. They all fit perfectly, except the smallest piece that goes on the front quarter panel near the tire. The wrap under fender flare and that piece crowd each other - so you wouldn't want the little pieces.

ok, if i understand you correctly, the smallest piece of the xls trim and the existing trim over the front tire will not fit on together, so i would be stuck with still using the thick (block) piece next to the tire, right?

it would not look good if you kept the front and rear bumpers....reason is your front bumper has a peice of wheel mouding attatched...it would stick out like a sore thumb

i think i know what you mean, but i want to keep the trim around the tires because im painting them black and like the contrast against the red

no no no, the only thing i want to change is adding the thin strips on the doors, circled in red in the pic below

200520Ford20Explorer20Truck_0162-1.jpg

Back