Sync 21098 OTA Available | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Sync 21098 OTA Available

That is amazing because I have never had a successful OTA update in my 2017 Sport or 2021 ST or my work 2020 Ranger & 2018 F150.........so you wake up in the morning and the update is done without user initiation or intervention?....vehicle off just a preconnected strong WiFi link between home router and vehicle, and that's it......I gotta figure this out now that's nothing short of a miracle.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So let me fully understand this, the vehicle is off, no ignition power from running, no accessory power from accessory mode, the APIM and ACM have no power but the OTA updates still function with data being pushed from the WiFi source in your home or business?

Please explain how WiFi modems work without power thats a new one for me and I like to learn new things.
They have power all the time. Most of the vehicle modules do these days. Ford stated from the get go with SYNC3 OTA updates that they would update with the vehicle off. Initially they said it could take up to a month for a full update to download wirelessly. Obviously the stronger the signal the better. Maybe a super weak signal would take that long or not work at all. The Gen1-3 APIMs didn't seem to update well wirelessly and users had hit and miss success but with GEN4 and up (which is 20+ Explorer) OTA updates seem to work very well.

For the general public one has to remember WiFi updates are done by the APIM and that is internal to the APIM with no external antenna. So wireless signals have to go back and forth between the vehicle APIM and the router it is connected too...meaning something contained in the dash and surrounded by body sheet metal and windows and then likely through home walls etc.

They have power all the time. Most of the vehicle modules do these days. Ford stated from the get go with SYNC3 OTA updates that they would update with the vehicle off. Initially they said it could take up to a month for a full update to download wirelessly. Obviously the stronger the signal the better. Maybe a super weak signal would take that long or not work at all. The Gen1-3 APIMs didn't seem to update well wirelessly and users had hit and miss success but with GEN4 and up (which is 20+ Explorer) OTA updates seem to work very well.

For the general public one has to remember WiFi updates are done by the APIM and that is internal to the APIM with no external antenna. So wireless signals have to go back and forth between the vehicle APIM and the router it is connected too...meaning something contained in the dash and surrounded by body sheet metal and windows and then likely through home walls etc.
Thank you....now I get it....seems odd they would put the APIM antenna in essentially a faraday cage of dash materials and wouldn't leverage the roof top antenna or run something external into glass or body to enhance -db signal strength. I have commercial grade Ubiquity WiFi hardware which has a very strong signal with vehicles parked literally 20-30 feet away so I would expect strong connection

Anyone else getting this?
Screenshot_20210712-085707.png

I got it this morning.

Yup me too

I have it on good authority that Ford/Electrobit have a fix for the TL issue. I don't know what was determined to be the root cause. No timing on the next release that will have the fix in it either.

Since I don't use Travel Link, I thought I'd check it out this morning and it is working again. The features all change to 'Subscribed' after a few minutes after an ignition start.

Peter

Since I don't use Travel Link, I thought I'd check it out this morning and it is working again. The features all change to 'Subscribed' after a few minutes after an ignition start.

Peter

Yep, it's going to be random when it actually works.

The only time mine worked reliably was after a Master Reset. Once I stopped and restarted, TL was absent and I had all sorts of freeze ups with the Sirius sat radio and the audio presets. Although my knowledge of programming is extremely limited, I just can't help but think there is a relatively easy solution just waiting to be written!!

Ken

Looks like Ford or someone killed off SiriusXM Travel Link! Just happy it was not a Ransomware upload locking out all Ford vehicles. I did a SYNC reset (lost most of my custom settings) hoping that would restore TL, but that only worked after the first start after reset, so don't bother. The simple Ford radio reset does not work either, nor does the SiriusXM signal refresh and subscriptions.

I think v3.421020 was the first kill and v3.4.21098 failed to fix it. TL Audio shows Subscribed and all other options showing Not Available. Travel Link no longer working. Does anyone with v3.4.21098 and SiriusXM Travel Link Subscription have a working Travel Link App?

SiriusXM advised me that is was a Ford issue that may require a software update. Not ready to start dropping my ST off for service taking days of trial and error until they have a fix that works.

Looks like Ford or someone killed off SiriusXM Travel Link! Just happy it was not a Ransomware upload locking out all Ford vehicles. I did a reset (lost most of my custom settings) hoping that would restore TL, but that only worked after the first start after reset, so don't bother. The simple Ford radio reset does not work either, nor does the SiriusXM signal refresh and subscriptions.

I think v3.421020 was the first kill and v3.4.21020 failed to fix it. TL Audio shows Subscribed and all other options showing Not Available. Travel Link no longer working. Does anyone with v3.4.21098 and SiriusXM Travel Link Subscription have a working Travel Link App?

SiriusXM advised me that is was a Ford issue that may require a software update. Not ready to start dropping my ST off for service taking days of trial and error until they have a fix that works.
TL works about half the time. It sounds like the next SYNC download should have the fix. Not sure when it's coming. And no, taking it in for service doesn't help. I started down that road and wound up dropping it.

Looks like Ford or someone killed off SiriusXM Travel Link! Just happy it was not a Ransomware upload locking out all Ford vehicles. I did a SYNC reset (lost most of my custom settings) hoping that would restore TL, but that only worked after the first start after reset, so don't bother. The simple Ford radio reset does not work either, nor does the SiriusXM signal refresh and subscriptions.

I think v3.421020 was the first kill and v3.4.21098 failed to fix it. TL Audio shows Subscribed and all other options showing Not Available. Travel Link no longer working. Does anyone with v3.4.21098 and SiriusXM Travel Link Subscription have a working Travel Link App?

It's been mentioned here several times about the TL issue and that taking it to a dealership or calling Sirius/XM is just a waste of time since it is an issue with the downloaded software.

Peter

Any updates on the expected date for a fix of the Travel Link problem? It certainly makes the built in navigation much less useful.

Although my TL is still 'flaky', it seems to work more times than not.

Peter

Any updates on the expected date for a fix of the Travel Link problem? It certainly makes the built in navigation much less useful.
If I were to bet on it I would say a month yet. I think UofMEngineer thought late summer.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

And considering that mine's been working fine after downgrading, it's pretty clearly a software issue in my book. If you're interested in trying that out, drop a DM to UofMEngineer for additional information.

Ken

Back