Sync 3.4 Update 21020 and OTA Updates | Page 7 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Sync 3.4 Update 21020 and OTA Updates

I called my dealer and gave him the TSB number to research to make sure he had what he needed before I got there. After checking, he told me that he has to order a special flash drive to reprogram the APIM ( I guess to take it back to 20136) and that it would take a day or two. I'm surprised he could not download it. Hopefully I can get it done by Thursday.
Talked to the dealer today and he realized that he does not have to order a new flash drive but rather download the files as directed by the TSB. Hopefully I'll get this resolved tomorrow morning.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Talked to the dealer today and he realized that he does not have to order a new flash drive but rather download the files as directed by the TSB. Hopefully I'll get this resolved tomorrow morning.
Keep us posted on it.

If it continues to act up and you want to roll back to 3.4.20282, let me know.
Thank you but I haven't actually used Travel Link in any of my vehicles.

Updated report;
What I noticed on today's shopping trip, with several stops, was that every time I start the vehicle the only subscribed feature is the Audio. Within about 10-15 seconds, the remaining features change from Unsubscribed to Subscribed. This happened each time. So I guess technically Travel Link is working.

Peter

Posting here as it may help others.

So I've been sitting in my 20 Explorer kinda just manually triggering the update and sitting in my car doing this map update. Decent connection, the car gets 3/4 bars on wifi, my laptop in the same spot gets about 40Mbps.
After like 3 hours sitting in the car and doing 5 different parts of this update I'm just like "How is this actually better than a USB update?" Couldn't find any info online about like if you HAVE to have the car running to do it or what. Talked to my buddy at Ford- He doesnt work on OTA but knows generally about it.

He's saying the car will do up to 30 minute of OTA after you do ignition off in the car. So it will background update even when not running. Thank goodness, that completely changes how I feel about it lol
It took about 10 days to complete all my map updates. As mentioned, OTA updates do not require the vehicle to be running. If you drive away while an update is in progress, the update will stop and resume again once you're in range of the WiFi signal.

Peter

I’ll chime in as also having loss of Sirius audio after an ignition cycle. Soft-rebooting restores audio after 30 seconds or so. Annoying.

Keep us posted on it.
Well I was at the dealer today. They plugged in the the Universal Sync drive per the TSB and nothing happened. The Service advisor brought me in the shop to see if it fixed the issue and it did not. Sync was still at 21020 ( I had to show them how to find it!). I asked them if they followed the TSB and they said that the Service Dept. told them to try the drive that they had first which is the current one before they ordered another. I told them the TSB says to download an update to the flash drive which should roll back 21020. They are sending emails to Ford and we will try again on Monday. I'm not confident they are going to figure this one out. What a waist of time.

Has anyone heard an explanation for not allowing the latest map update(2.20) to be downloaded to USB? It can’t be that much larger than the last update, and that was easy to download and install. $40 for the USB sounds kind of expensive for that size thumb drive.

Has anyone heard an explanation for not allowing the latest map update(2.20) to be downloaded to USB? It can’t be that much larger than the last update, and that was easy to download and install. $40 for the USB sounds kind of expensive for that size thumb drive.
The last I checked, that page showed map version 119 as the most current. The one that downloads OTA is 220.

Well I was at the dealer today. They plugged in the the Universal Synch drive per the TSB and nothing happened. The Service advisor brought me in the shop to see if it fixed the issue and it did not. Sync was still at 21020 ( I had to show them how to find it!). I asked them if they followed the TSB and they said that the Service Dept. told them to try the drive that they had first which is the current one before they ordered another. I told them the TSB says to download an update to the flash drive which should roll back 21020. They are sending emails to Ford and we will try again on Monday. I'm not confident they are going to figure this one out. What a waist of time.
I haven't taken mine back in for service because I have my doubts at this point it will help. But I have been on the phone a number times keeping them updated on whats been going on. In the mean time, I rolled my SYNC back to version 20282 and It's been working since I've done that. Sure makes it look like this last update is the issue. The TSB may be the solution but I'm not sure if they checked what version their thumb drive was at when I was there last week. If it continues to keep working for at least a week I be taking it back in and say have it.

Looks like I'm taking it in for service sooner than expected. After rolling the SYNC back to 20282 and having Sirius working since then. Plus I turned off automatic updates. When I started it a little while ago system update flashed across the screen. And it is now showing 21020 and Sirius isn't working again. Never thought it could update OTA with auto updates off. Starting to think it's been taken over by demons. :banghead:It's no wonder I'm having a nice cold one.

The last I checked, that page showed map version 119 as the most current. The one that downloads OTA is 220.
When I looked last week it offered a thumb drive for $40 and stated it couldn’t be downloaded due to the file size. This was for Maps NA 220. I would think that annOTA update could easily be loaded to a flash drive for update.

When I looked last week it offered a thumb drive for $40 and stated it couldn’t be downloaded due to the file size. This was for Maps NA 220. I would think that annOTA update could easily be loaded to a flash drive for update.
I'm not sure where you seen map NA 220 This is what I see from SYNC NAVIGATION Update site. This is for Ford, maybe Lincoln is different.

*Data points above represent the changes in the HERE Map Database from Q1 19. Exact data may vary by product. The current Map version is NA 1 19.

I just looked at the Lincoln site. Same thing as ford.

*Data points above represent the changes in the HERE Map Database from Q1 19. Exact data may vary by product. The current Map version is NA 1 19.

I was just thinking to myself, have we ever had a problem free SYNC3 update?........ever?

I'm not sure where you seen map NA 220 This is what I see from SYNC NAVIGATION Update site. This is for Ford, maybe Lincoln is different.

I just looked at the Lincoln site. Same thing as ford.

This showed up on owner.Lincoln.com when I entered my Vin.

Well, after mine reverted to 21020 by itself, I found this in the Favorites ...
IMG_0372.jpeg

Thinking that this may indicate some corruption somewhere ;), I did a Master Reset. (There were actually three screens like this ... 50 lines)

Initially, it looks better with Travel Link working.

We'll see ...

Ken

This showed up on owner.Lincoln.com when I entered my Vin.
When I logged in with my VIN it showed the $40 USB but nowhere did I see a map version number.

Peter

Well, after mine reverted to 21020 by itself, I found this in the Favorites ...

Thinking that this may indicate some corruption somewhere ;), I did a Master Reset. (There were actually three screens like this ... 50 lines)

Initially, it looks better with Travel Link working.

We'll see ...

Ken
I never had any favourites saved but I checked 'History' and the locations are there.

Peter

When I logged in with my VIN it showed the $40 USB but nowhere did I see a map version number.

Peter
I just checked again and I now have no version for the map. The description changed telling me that if I had attempted to down load and encountered problems, this $40 dollar USB contains the same version but there was no link to download and no version displayed.

Have you attempted the OTA map update? It took me many days to complete it.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Have you attempted the OTA map update? It took me many days to complete it.
Peter
Not yet, don’t want to mess things up before a road trip on June 2. Same with the Sync version update.

Back