Sync 3 bracket modification | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Sync 3 bracket modification

BlackHelmet

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Ford Explorer XLT
I have a 2014 Explorer that I am doing a Sync 3 upgrade on. I purchased a square/flat sided screen despite knowing that I have a recessed screen in my Explorer (hey, it was a great deal). I've seen people modify the brackets to make it work but when I looked back on it that was in an F150. So, does anyone have any info on modifying stock bracket(s) to make a square/flat-side sync3 screen work in their Explorer? Thanks in advance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I ended up just winging it and while it's not pretty, it works perfect. I notched the bottom 1/4 of the tab, then ground about 1/8" off the outside of the tabs (inner edges in the photo - tabs are 'backwards' in the photo) and then drilled new holes in the top. I was off by a fraction and could see the top edge of the screen behind the trim so I drilled a second hole to move it up and give me a little play to adjust. When I notched the bottom of the tab out I went a little too high and so the bottom bolt actually fits snug against the edge of the tab and holds the tab in place. Overall I'm happy that it worked. BOOM! perfect fit!

vHu5G5j.jpg

oh, and I had to grind off the pin that helped line up the holes on the original vehicle (I was told this screen came from a ford ranger, flat-sided screen).

did you succeed? I am hoping to upgrade my 15 to have same function as my 19 f150

Refreshing this. I have a 2013 ford explorer and a "flat" screen from a 2017 ford fusion. Hoping to modify the brackets but looking for some direction as all brackets seem to be different. My 2013 bracket looks different than the 2014 bracket the OP posted.

Back