SYNC 3 in a 2016 Explorer | Page 13 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

SYNC 3 in a 2016 Explorer

Wonder if it's from a non US model, that might screw the gps up?

WObtg73.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Might be. Where did you get it, if you don't mind me asking?

Maybe try the reformat idea?

Got it off ebay, seller does not have original vin #, it did flash a mustang screen first time I turned it on.

I just messed with forscan a little trying to figure it out and it all looks correct. Not throwing any DTCs (It was throwing a GPS antenna code with first one I tried).

Might try and reformat once I find a usb stick.

Wonder if it's from a non US model, that might screw the gps up?

WObtg73.jpg

According to the assembly location this is for European market, all NA market are made in Mexico.
There is another guy on F150 forum who has 2014 Explorer and similar problem. APIM is 2019 and Czech made as well. Maybe becuase 2019 APIM's have different firmware? With region set to US he has Sirius icons and no GPS signal and with region set to 5753 it is the opposite, GPS is receiving signal, but no Sirius icons.

Here is his original post:

According to the assembly location this is for European market, all NA market are made in Mexico.
There is another guy on F150 forum who has 2014 Explorer and similar problem. APIM is 2019 and Czech made as well. Maybe becuase 2019 APIM's have different firmware? With region set to US he has Sirius icons and no GPS signal and with region set to 5753 it is the opposite, GPS is receiving signal, but no Sirius icons.

Here is his original post:

You are my hero, once I switched it to UK in forscan GPS started working. It appears the APIM I bought was from a EU model mustang. I have not done alot if testing but I think if I leave it with the UK setting GPS will work but satellite radio will not. I do not use satellite radio so no huge loss to me. Will mess with some stuff and see what happens.

RedDen thanks for your help.

Mekks082, I wonder if the reformat and reinstall will help now...

RedDen thanks for your help.

Mekks082, I wonder if the reformat and reinstall will help now...
I formated and installed the newest software/maps for the US based unit. I "think" firmware flashing to USDM would fully correct the issue but I'm not 100% on how to do it. Spoke with the guy who runs the software website and he does not support region changing.

That didn't work?

no problem guys, my pleasure.
It seems to me that NA and EU APIM's might have different firmware revisions, region-related.
I would think that flashing APIM with NA-specific firmware files should solve the issue, but make sure you have the right equipment for that. Use F150 forum as a reference. Airborne Ape has done firmware flashing already (but he did it for an older APIM, not 2019) as well as few more guys on that forum.
The very first page has a detailed instructions covering everyhing including APIM flashing

Messing with the firmware of the APIM is risky business. I would like multi mode presets on mine. But I think I have to update firmware and I just don't feel comfortable doing so. Nor do I have the correct tools.

Messing with the firmware of the APIM is risky business. I would like multi mode presets on mine. But I think I have to update firmware and I just don't feel comfortable doing so. Nor do I have the correct tools.

As far as I know multi mode presets are only on 2019 APIM's (4th gen) and cannot be done by firmware upgrade on older units.
Moreover, updating firmware on non 2019 APIM's does nothing since they dont have hardware needed.

I’m running Sync 3.4 now on my 2016 Explorer and it works great for anyone wondering. Setting the APIM configuration - 7D0-02-01 xxxx 12xx xxxx sets the splash screen animation to the same as the 2020’s.

40-EA987-D-470-F-42-BC-9-EF9-4-F1-DDCCA874-B.jpg
73457681-469-B-4014-A7-F9-A6-AD1-A1-C8-A88.jpg

Hi PlatinumOwner,
I think I saw in a post somewhere that you upgraded your APIM firmware in addition to upgrading to SYNC 3.4? I have successfully upgraded to SYNC 3.4 and am interested in upgrading the firmware on the APIM. Do you mind sharing the process you went through to flash your firmware? (Adapter/software used, order you loaded files, etc.) I have downloaded the correct files I think.

GB5T-14G376-AA
1U5T-14G374-EH
1U5T-14G375-DA
GB5T-14G379-AA
5U5T-14G379-BB

Any tips you have would be appreciated!
Thanks!

Newly Purchased 16 Explorer Limited here, Looking into the Sync 3 Swap. I am not interested in programming it myself as its not within my wheelhouse, but all of the install is definitely going to be DIY. I have emailed Jason at FLVPmods.com to inquire about a pre-programmed API and Screen.
Just had a question about the FORD Pass/Ford Remote access. Does the Sync3 update allow for these apps to work with the vehicle or is that a whole separate system?
Also does anybody have experience with ordering pre-programmed ones? Have they all seemed to stay working?
How difficult is the USB port swap? I haven't seen many videos on how to do it.

I really don't remember using the Ford Pass app on my 16. Even after the update to SYNC 3. I only had an XLT.

I got my products from Jason as well.

The USB was a little hard because there isn't much room in there. But doable. I believe I took out the ACM to get to it.

I really don't remember using the Ford Pass app on my 16. Even after the update to SYNC 3. I only had an XLT.

I got my products from Jason as well.

The USB was a little hard because there isn't much room in there. But doable. I believe I took out the ACM to get to it.

Are you able to continue to update Sync 3? What about the navigation? Does Jason Provide the donor VIN that would allow you to pay Ford for the map updates?

Are you able to continue to update Sync 3? What about the navigation? Does Jason Provide the donor VIN that would allow you to pay Ford for the map updates?
I doubt that anyone that installed Sync 3 in their Explorer will get update notifications in their Ford account since the records will show you have MFT(Sync 2). You will likely have to find a link that someone has posted to get any updates. Sync 3 doesn't use SD cards to update navigation. I believe updates are currently a dealer install and are specific to your VIN.

Peter

Sync 3.4 gets you 1 19 Maps.

I updates my SYNC 3 a few times via wifi.

I doubt that anyone that installed Sync 3 in their Explorer will get update notifications in their Ford account since the records will show you have MFT(Sync 2). You will likely have to find a link that someone has posted to get any updates. Sync 3 doesn't use SD cards to update navigation. I believe updates are currently a dealer install and are specific to your VIN.

Peter

Updates are not a dealer install, but VIN specific over a website if its v3.0.xxxx system. If v3.4 it is not even VIN specific, custom install.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I want to thank everyone who responded to myself or previous commenters on this thread, the amount of knowledge on here is invaluable. I completed the swap on Monday and could not be happier with the upgrade. I want to encourage anyone who might be interested in the swap that it is 100% without a doubt worth it. Upgrading from MyfordTouch to Sync 3 makes my 2016 feel like a brand new car. And with the variety of youtube videos available to help, it couldn't be easier. Took me a little over an hour, could have been quicker if it weren't for a few dropped screws and being extra careful with the plastic pieces.

Also wanted to give a quick shout out to Jason at FLVPmods.com, I knew I wanted to do the swap but wasn't interested in doing any of the programming myself. Jason provided everything I needed to make the swap(already programmed), and even had it shipped out the next day, at a price significantly more reasonable than what the competitors price a full kit out for.

Back