SYNC 3 in a 2016 Explorer | Page 14 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

SYNC 3 in a 2016 Explorer

Tried to source the brackets alone, but either none are available on eBay or my googlefu is weak. I did find another screen ending with -SC on eBay, so I'll turn around and sell my -SB screen. From what I can tell, G2GT-18B955-SC is from an Edge. The following link has a breakdown of what cars have which screens: Replacement Touchscreen Assembly for SYNC 3.
Hi Beatsanfurd, I purchased a 2017 escape sync3 screen and had to drill a few holes in those brackets to adjust for the screen placement in the dash space. I looked for a while for an exact match to avoid making my own drill holes, unfortunately I came up empty handed. let me know how you end up.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just a heads up, there are no brackets to mount a non recessed screen in an Explorer. The Explorer uses a recessed screen and sync2 brackets fit perfectly on the recessed sync3 screen.(no drilling required) if you hsve the non recessed screen, drilling is only alternative.

I started installation today. Hardware installation went smoothly, its all done. I am stuck though on the software side of things. The APIM was from a 2017 Fusion and screen from 2017 Edge.
I purchased a Forscan extended license for $10..
Climate control not working at all.. The icons are showing up on screen but not controlling anything climate related, no steering wheel heat either.
Nav works fine
Surprisingly rear camera is working but no curved white tracker lines for parking, the rectangular fixed ones are there.. steering wheel volume up and down works but "seek" does not work..
I see the icons on the Sync3 screen and they even make that sound when I touch them but there is no control
I loaded the .ab from a 2017 Explorer LTD
I really need the climate control via sync3 at a minimum. what should I do to get that?
Hello Rman66, I am also not willing to pay for the Gen2a USB media hub adaptor and want to splice this myself. I've just bought the upgrade Usb media hub and the wiring connector from the junk yard and want to know which pins to splice into. I've found another site where they explain this for a fusion (2GFusions - Ford Sync 3 Hardware Upgrade / Conversion (Replace Existing MyFord Touch)) but need to know if PIN 8 & 21 are where I need to splice into for my explorer. Any assistance would be appreciated.

Sorry to Necro this thread, but I'm trying to update the Sync3 Software in my 2014 Explorer (did the upgrade and all's working minus the Nav, but I'm still looking into that) and I've tried to use a USB to update the software and it's like it doesn't even recognize the USB, I do have the correct USB ports and they work but it's not recognizing it? Any thoughts?

Sorry to Necro this thread, but I'm trying to update the Sync3 Software in my 2014 Explorer (did the upgrade and all's working minus the Nav, but I'm still looking into that) and I've tried to use a USB to update the software and it's like it doesn't even recognize the USB, I do have the correct USB ports and they work but it's not recognizing it? Any thoughts?
what version is your Sync 3? To be frank I’ve had to roll back to a previous version multiple times as newer firmware’s can create compatibility issues with in car light dimming etc. if it’s working fine don’t worry about it. I realize for a technical person it’s difficult to resist the impetus to do all latest upgrades but truly you can create more problems then you’re trying to solve.

I’ll also add. Ford‘s NAV sucks anyway. If you have an android or iPhone plugged in all the time you don’t need a factory nav at all. I wish I had gotten a unit without it to be frank.

I’ll also add. Ford‘s NAV sucks anyway. If you have an android or iPhone plugged in all the time you don’t need a factory nav at all. I wish I had gotten a unit without it to be frank.
Ok thank you, I was just trying to do the latest update but it works fine without it.

Since my last post i was able to complete my change over. I had almost no issues. It had to go through a couple of GPS antennas and also had to remove the MFT antenna which was located behind the instrument cluster.
* I installed the new GPS antenna in the same location as the old, no problem since from Amazon.
* APIM/screen with NAV from a 2017 XLT with Sync 3 for 350 from a wreck yard in California.
* Been playing with different mods using Forscan with no issues.
These are some of the pics of my install. Total time was about 2 hours including sync 3 upgrade to latest build of version 3.

View attachment 177846 View attachment 177847 View attachment 177848 View attachment 177849 View attachment 177850 View attachment 177851 View attachment 177852 View attachment 177853
Question, you had to remove the MFT antenna? I did this changeover and have tried 2 antennas from Amazon, bingfu and another- nav error when starting the car- after a few seconds i hit close and all is working - was the original gps antenna be interfering with the new APIM?
Thanks

Question, you had to remove the MFT antenna? I did this changeover and have tried 2 antennas from Amazon, bingfu and another- nav error when starting the car- after a few seconds i hit close and all is working - was the original gps antenna be interfering with the new APIM?
Thanks
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
Keep in mind that you are talking about a 5th gen (yours) and a 6th gen. I believe the antenna configurations are different.

Peter

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
Keep in mind that you are talking about a 5th gen (yours) and a 6th gen. I believe the antenna configurations are different.

Peter
Hi peter. I have a 2011 which I believe is a 6th gen. I upgraded from sync2 mft to sync3 3.4 and am having issues with NAV fault at startup. Goes away after a few seconds is why I was interested in your comment disconnecting the original gps antenna. Thanks for responding. Ken

Hi peter. I have a 2011 which I believe is a 6th gen. I upgraded from sync2 mft to sync3 3.4 and am having issues with NAV fault at startup. Goes away after a few seconds is why I was interested in your comment disconnecting the original gps antenna. Thanks for responding. Ken
Hi Ken. the 2011-2019 Explorers are 5th gen. I believe the GPS antenna is under the dash toward the driver's side if I recall from reading other posts. If you already have the navigation antenna from your previous setup, I don't see why it should not work with the upgraded unit. What kind of problem comes up when you start up?

Peter

Hi Ken. the 2011-2019 Explorers are 5th gen. I believe the GPS antenna is under the dash toward the driver's side if I recall from reading other posts. If you already have the navigation antenna from your previous setup, I don't see why it should not work with the upgraded unit. What kind of problem comes up when you start up?

Peter
Hi peter. I had a 2010 a while back so I guess I was wrong there as well :) good to be correct. when I start the car a message come up navigation is not working correctly, contact you dealer for service. With a close button. Then it all works fine until the next time I start the car. DTC shows gos antenna malfunction. I have trie 2 now I have heard the chinese ones in amazon a pretty crappy but the reviews have been spotty on both. Thinking of getting the shark and replacing the original and splitter. Dont want to go to that trouble if I dont have to. Thanks. Ken.

I believe the 2011 has the AM/FM and Sirius/XM antenna on the roof but I believe the GPS is under the dash. That is where the GPS module is located. I used to have a 2011 Limited as well.

1640292532828.png

Peter

I believe the 2011 has the AM/FM and Sirius/XM antenna on the roof but I believe the GPS is under the dash. That is where the GPS module is located. I used to have a 2011 Limited as well.

View attachment 424838

Peter
Great diagram. I will check ot out! Thanks. merry Christmas

When I upgraded my 16 I had to use a new gps antenna and unplug the old one (it was tough to unplug). I then lost the ability to have nav in the right IPC.

I used Velcro to attach the new antenna under the dash near the center speaker.

Hey guys

I am currently located in Dubai and upgraded my ford 2016 limited edition sync 2 to sync 3 which I bought off eBay US version. the sync 3 came out from Ford 2018 sports editions. I am having few issues with programming and I am new to this all.

I installed it as seen on few YouTube channels. All works fine except the Navigation, The navigation guidance is not working at all. It shows navigation but when you search for route, it does not show any directions. I am in GCC so do I need to do something on FodScan?

I have done the following:

1. Installed a new GPS antena
2. Replaced the USB Hub

The Sync 3 is showing correct Vin number and is connecting to CarPlay and Wifi etc.

One more issue I am having is the IPC is showing two compasses and it's keep on flipping. I assume the car now has 2 GPS antenna, one I installed and one was factory installed? Is there a way of disabling the factory GPS antenna?

Finally, the navigation guidance are not visible in IPC when driving and the voice commands do not recognise the navigation. However it works for all other features such as Climate, Phone etc.

I am sorry for the long message.

Hope to get the solution for this problem.

^^ Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
I believe the OEM GPS antenna is under the dash toward the driver's side. I've never seen it but I'm guessing it could possibly be disconnected.
As for the navigation, are you getting it displayed on the 8" Sync screen? Do you have the correct navigation maps for your location/country?

Peter

@gibz In regards to what Peter said...

When you add the new GPS antenna, you have to unplug the OEM GPS antenna. There cannot be two GPS antennas plugged in. It is hard to get to. It was the hardest part of the update IIRC.

I did this upgrade on my 16 XLT when I had it and was told that that needed to be done.

You also need maps for your region but I think UAE maps require a 64GB APIM and US Nav models are 32GB.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

@gibz In regards to what Peter said...

When you add the new GPS antenna, you have to unplug the OEM GPS antenna. There cannot be two GPS antennas plugged in. It is hard to get to. It was the hardest part of the update IIRC.

I did this upgrade on my 16 XLT when I had it and was told that that needed to be done.
Not really. With the old sync 2 screen out, you can reach in and just unplug the GPSM connector.

Back