SYNC 3 in a 2016 Explorer | Page 8 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

SYNC 3 in a 2016 Explorer

you have to leave the GPSM connected in order for the cluster to work properly. I have a 2011 xlt with sync3 and everything work just fine with the GPSM left connected to the vehicle wiring harness. I also have a heated steering recently installed to the same truck which never designed to have one. I had to add wiring to the vehicle for that to work. Only thing about that is the HSWM is not visible in the list of modules. Anyone knows how to initiate a newly added module?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

you have to leave the GPSM connected in order for the cluster to work properly. I have a 2011 xlt with sync3 and everything work just fine with the GPSM left connected to the vehicle wiring harness. I also have a heated steering recently installed to the same truck which never designed to have one. I had to add wiring to the vehicle for that to work. Only thing about that is the HSWM is not visible in the list of modules. Anyone knows how to initiate a newly added module?

Certain clusters require the GPSM. For the 2016 Platinum and Limited, I've found that the GPSM must be disconnected or you will have problems with compass. For the HSW, have you enabled it in the FCIM? I believe it is 7A7-01-02: xxx8 xxxx xxxx on the newer Fusion, should be the same on the '16-18 Explorer but not sure about a 2011. I can find out later today if you still have trouble.

FCIM is not even listed for 2011 explorer. For that matter, it not there for 2016 explorer either. The address 7A7 is not there in either m/y explorers.

FCIM is not even listed for 2011 explorer. For that matter, it not there for 2016 explorer either. The address 7A7 is not there in either m/y explorers.

If that’s the case, then you need an adapter that properly supports MS CAN. Sounds like it is only seeing the HS CAN bus.

No, I am reading it from ford PTS website that I have access to. all it has is FCDIM as built data which is not used in my vehicle or another 2014 explorer that originally had heated steering wheel where I got the wheel from. It is listed as missing data. I may get it from ford on Monday. Also my adapter does read MS can data. I am going to try it with an IDS(ford original scan tool)tomorrow and i will let you know what happens. Thanks

Hey everyone, new to the forum, but searched here for the Sync2 to Sync3 upgrade and got lots of great advice, thanks. It took me 5 hours (4 hours too long!) to do the swap this past weekend in a 2016 Sport. Biggest problems were:
  1. Simply being unorganized and not paying attention (maybe due to being tired since I did it from 10pm to 3am). I had to find the same tools about 1,000 times because I'd set them down in different places.
  2. Had to watch the same sections of the installation video over and over to make sure I was doing it right. Would have been great to have someone helping me with this (and helping organize my tools), but my wife was out of state and my kids were asleep.
  3. I'm always freaked out about ruining my dash when taking off those side bezels, so I was too gentle with it and it took me too long to get them off. They're more flexible than you think.
  4. Took me about an hour to find the old Sync 2 GPS module, then another 45 minutes to get it out. I knew it was behind the instrument cluster, but to me for some reason that meant it was behind Sync 2 screen. Finally I found it, it's inside the dash and pretty much above the little screen to the right of the speedometer. Even when I found it, my hands were too big to disconnect the wire from it. It's stuck to the car with foam tape, so I had to pry it loose with the dash removal tool, then pull the wire toward me so I could reach it well enough to disconnect it. Pretty scary to pry that thing off because it doesn't want to budge and everything in there is flexing, so if you can get someone with smaller hands to reach up there and disconnect it, that's the way to go.
  5. Same tight space problem disconnecting the old USB port, took me forever to get my fingers back there to push the tabs in to pull them loose. Can't see the tabs, so had to take a picture with my phone to know where my fingers should go.
  6. Had to re-install several parts a few times, again due to not paying attention and realizing too late that wires were in the wrong place. For example, I didn't leave the little control panel wire with the grey connector exposed like I should have, so had to unscrew everything and pass the wire through the little hole at the bottom to reconnect the control panel.
To summarize, if an unorganized, unfocused, clumsy dude like myself can do it, I promise you can too, just be patient. Here's my total cost:
  • Ford PI Mods - 2016 NAV APIM updated to 3.0 and with 1-16 MAPs, plus programming and shipping - $758.10
  • Ford PI Mods - Recessed Sync 3 Screen and shipping - $265.60
  • Ford PI Mods - APIM to screen connecting wire and GPS antenna plus shipping - $60.60
  • Ebay - USB Module part #HU5Z19A387A - $59.50
  • 4DTech - Package of tools (two screwdrivers and dash removal tools) - $39.97
  • TOTAL COST - $1,183.77
I could have saved some shipping costs if I had just bought everything at once from Jason at PI Mods, but I was trying to save money and shopped around for a while before realizing he's the best deal, plus his expertise is a huge bonus. Programming is perfect, heated steering wheel, heated/cooled seats, etc. all work. I'm still happy with the cost, though, much less than the non-NAV packages I've seen, not to mention the NAV packages.

Let me know if you have any questions, hope I can help someone, I love the Sync 3 system and think the upgrade is worth it.

Thanks.

Kevin
Greenville, SC

Hello,

I'd like to report that I got this working too, thanks very much to the info created in this forum, as well as the icloud spreadsheet, etc. I wanted to do this for a while, but simply could not justify the price - however, a few weeks ago my touchscreen failed on my sync2 system. After researching, I could not justify the price of the more expensive solutions ($1500) but as I am an avid DIY'er, an experience programmer and hardware enthusiast, I decided to do it piecemeal. Note that unless you are willing to program, mess around accidentally buying the wrong hardware, comfortable with taking stuff apart, googling like crazy, etc., I would in general recommend the kits. Although they cost more, they can save you a lot of hassle and time.

I spent:

$210 - Non-nav APIM, programmed to my 2016 vin, from dokus223 on ebay. He programmed/shipped it for $210. He also gave me some free support for some silly questions I had.
$410 - Sync 3 touch screen w/ recessed brackets (I realize this is considerably higher than what some are paying, but given the time constraints I didn't have the luxury of waiting for a good sale, etc.)
$35 - USB Hub (Only if you want carplay, android auto doesn't need it) HU5Z-19A387-A - anyting that's 19A387, really. The rest doesn't matter, I think. As long as it's single port, this is only for 2016s! 2015 and below need the double port and some wiring harnesses (maybe from 4dtech, etc).
$15 - trim remover kit from amazon
$13 - Active GPS antenna for audi/vw. I know other people have removed their old ones, went to great lengths to mount new ones, etc. I did not do this. I simply put some double sided tape on this and taped it to the side of the vent, right below the dash and above the radio. My signal is fine and compass works great. It plugs into your APIM perfectly.
$30 USB ElmConfig Elm327 WIRED OBD programmer. I have BT on my laptop, but USB is sooo much easier for me, personally.

So just over $700, before tax.

As a computer hardware enthusiast, the saddest thing I saw was that my SYNC2 APIM was manufactured 4 months AFTER my SYNC3 APIM from an F-150!

Anyway, with the APIM programmed to my 2016 VIN, only a few things did not work:

Front camera
Flank Guard
Active Park Assist

For Front Camera:
I used dentailpains info from the post on this forum: Upgrading 2016 Explorer to Sync 3 - FORScan questions
and this spreadsheet: FORScan 2011-2019 Explorers

and used "F"
7D0-01-02 xxxx xxFx

For Park Assist, I used this as a guess and it worked so I didn't mess with it anymore. I found it here: FORScan - software to enable/disable features in your truck - Ford F150 Forum - Community of Ford Truck Fans

7D0-04-02 0007 E4

For Flank Guard, I'm pretty sure it was from: FORScan 2011-2019 Explorers (PAM Tab)

736-03-01 xxxx x..* xxzz

For some reason, it took a restart and programming of my other ones before Flank Guard showed up all the way. Keep in mind I'm recalling this from memory with no notes, so please correct me if you find some error.

I should note I was fortunate because I have a platinum, so basically everything is enabled, so those with XLT, Limited, Etc. May not be so fortunate as to only have to enter 3 codes.

Welcome to the Forum thedanman.:wave:
Not sure what you mean by "Flank Guard". Is that the surround sensors?

Peter

Proximity sensors.:)

So, after finding this thread, and scouring over other similar threads from 2gfusions and 6gmustangs, I took a chance and found a new Sync 3 APIM (non-navi) with screen on eBay to replace my 2015 Sync 2. While I couldn't verify the part number with any diagrams, it had the stepped side, so i risked the purchase (knowing I could probably resell it if necessary). It turned out to be a perfect fit, after I swapped my Sync 2 brackets.

Thanks to UPS, I had a few extra days to wait for my ELM327 cable to arrive, but being my impatient self, I figured I could at least test fit it and see what happened. I was surprised that it worked right out of the box (with some minor issues). Radio came to life, climate control worked, phone, settings, etc, all seemed to be good. Navigation showed a fault (but that was because it was a non-navi version) and I didn't have my heated/cooled seats and steering wheel controls, but I could experiment.

Fast forward 3 days and I finally get my programmer, load up FORSCAN and work through programming. Now, I'm fairly adept at tech, so this wasn't really a challenge for me, although it still took some trial and error to get things right. Ultimately, I have everything working, but have noticed a couple of issues that hopefully can be addressed.

Somehow during the programming today, I lost the ability for the E-911 from my phone. Normally when you pair a compatible phone, the system asks if you want to turn E-911 on. This was working throughout the week until I started reprogramming today.

Also, my Entertainment option on the IPC used to have an option to select bluetooth devices when connected, now it no longer does so.

Any ideas from those who've programmed before?

I have yet to test the Apple CarPlay as I am waiting for the USB hub to arrive. Once that's there I will test that and report back if there are any issues.

I have to count myself as very lucky, as all in I am under $400 for all my pieces. It can be done by yourself a lot more cost effectively than the kit solutions online ($1200++) as long as you do the research. Boards like these are truly very helpful and great sources of information to help get you through.
Could you message me and possibly help me out trying to find a screen and apim?

I have done this with my 16 Explorer. It was an easy install. It is so much better than what I had.

I got the non nav. I just wanted to use Google Maps through Apple CarPlay.

I have done this with my 16 Explorer. It was an easy install. It is so much better than what I had.

I got the non nav. I just wanted to use Google Maps through Apple CarPlay.
I have a non nav screen and apim coming. Does your sport have heated wheel and heated and cooled seats? If so would you mind sending me your as built you used for yours?

I have a non nav screen and apim coming. Does your sport have heated wheel and heated and cooled seats? If so would you mind sending me your as built you used for yours?

My XLT does not have a heated steering wheel or cooled seats. Just have heated seats.

My XLT does not have a heated steering wheel or cooled seats. Just have heated seats.
Some reason I was thinking you put you had a sport. My bad.

Hey guys,

I just upgraded my 2014 Explorer to Sync 3 with Nav. Everything seems to be working. The next step is to install the CarPlay hub. I don’t want to wait on an adapter to ship. Is anyone willing to share which are the hot and ground wires on my MFT hub? Thanks for your help.

Hey guys,

I just upgraded my 2014 Explorer to Sync 3 with Nav. Everything seems to be working. The next step is to install the CarPlay hub. I don’t want to wait on an adapter to ship. Is anyone willing to share which are the hot and ground wires on my MFT hub? Thanks for your help.
Just wanted to say Welcome to the Forum.:wave:

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hey everyone, new to the forum, but searched here for the Sync2 to Sync3 upgrade and got lots of great advice, thanks. It took me 5 hours (4 hours too long!) to do the swap this past weekend in a 2016 Sport. Biggest problems were:
  1. Simply being unorganized and not paying attention (maybe due to being tired since I did it from 10pm to 3am). I had to find the same tools about 1,000 times because I'd set them down in different places.
  2. Had to watch the same sections of the installation video over and over to make sure I was doing it right. Would have been great to have someone helping me with this (and helping organize my tools), but my wife was out of state and my kids were asleep.
  3. I'm always freaked out about ruining my dash when taking off those side bezels, so I was too gentle with it and it took me too long to get them off. They're more flexible than you think.
  4. Took me about an hour to find the old Sync 2 GPS module, then another 45 minutes to get it out. I knew it was behind the instrument cluster, but to me for some reason that meant it was behind Sync 2 screen. Finally I found it, it's inside the dash and pretty much above the little screen to the right of the speedometer. Even when I found it, my hands were too big to disconnect the wire from it. It's stuck to the car with foam tape, so I had to pry it loose with the dash removal tool, then pull the wire toward me so I could reach it well enough to disconnect it. Pretty scary to pry that thing off because it doesn't want to budge and everything in there is flexing, so if you can get someone with smaller hands to reach up there and disconnect it, that's the way to go.
  5. Same tight space problem disconnecting the old USB port, took me forever to get my fingers back there to push the tabs in to pull them loose. Can't see the tabs, so had to take a picture with my phone to know where my fingers should go.
  6. Had to re-install several parts a few times, again due to not paying attention and realizing too late that wires were in the wrong place. For example, I didn't leave the little control panel wire with the grey connector exposed like I should have, so had to unscrew everything and pass the wire through the little hole at the bottom to reconnect the control panel.
To summarize, if an unorganized, unfocused, clumsy dude like myself can do it, I promise you can too, just be patient. Here's my total cost:
  • Ford PI Mods - 2016 NAV APIM updated to 3.0 and with 1-16 MAPs, plus programming and shipping - $758.10
  • Ford PI Mods - Recessed Sync 3 Screen and shipping - $265.60
  • Ford PI Mods - APIM to screen connecting wire and GPS antenna plus shipping - $60.60
  • Ebay - USB Module part #HU5Z19A387A - $59.50
  • 4DTech - Package of tools (two screwdrivers and dash removal tools) - $39.97
  • TOTAL COST - $1,183.77
I could have saved some shipping costs if I had just bought everything at once from Jason at PI Mods, but I was trying to save money and shopped around for a while before realizing he's the best deal, plus his expertise is a huge bonus. Programming is perfect, heated steering wheel, heated/cooled seats, etc. all work. I'm still happy with the cost, though, much less than the non-NAV packages I've seen, not to mention the NAV packages.

Let me know if you have any questions, hope I can help someone, I love the Sync 3 system and think the upgrade is worth it.

Thanks.

Kevin
Greenville, SC

I am not about to list what I paid because I will be excommunicated from the forum. I am having issues. My wife has a 2013 Limited. Came with nav and everything. Heated and cooled seats heated steering wheel rear A/C and NONE of that stuff is working I bought a non nav unit and I know I need to get it up to 2.2 so I can android auto but I don't know why it no bolger shows the temp for either side up front, does not change temp for either side. Ambient lights menu comes up but does not respond. Sync buttons stopped working only volume control on the steering wheel. Rear AC controls do not work at all on screen or behind me manually. HELP ME!!!!! If I can't get heated seats and steering wheel to work again this wont be worth it.
BTW this is a sync 3 upgrade. It had sync 2.

Back