SYNC 3 in a 2016 Explorer | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

SYNC 3 in a 2016 Explorer

I never really paid attention to that so I just went out to try it. My phone connection with MFT takes 3 seconds. Did it multiple times. That's plenty fast enough or me.

Peter.
Agreed - I've never had any complaints with connection times. I even got a new phone 2 weeks ago - took all of a minute to delete the old one, pair the new one, and done. I've never actually timed it, but by the time I get in, push the start button, if I had Audible playing on the phone/car previously it starts right up - love that I have to touch nothing in the car or phone to resume the story.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Agree... I would love to do this in my explorer, but I don't have the technical know how to do any of it. Frankly, scared of breaking something.

In an old Jeep Grand Cherokee I installed one of those MyGig LockPik things to enable it to be used while the car was in motion. That was the most I ever did and that was simple plug and play, and I almost messed that up too.

Note that the auction does not include a screen, you cannot use a Sync 2 screen for Sync 3. The Sync 3 screens include a new display panel with higher resolution, they are also brighter and have better colors plus capacitive touch (not resistive like Sync 2)

Hi PO, did you go through 4Dtech or infotainment or did you part it out yourself? I'm in the process of parting it out myself, but I'm kind of stumped on screen and mounting options. It sounds like the F-150/Expedition/Explorer use the recessed screen mount whereas the fusion and a few of the sedans use a flush mount. Am I correct in thinking that? BTW, great work on your upgrade!

Hi PO, did you go through 4Dtech or infotainment or did you part it out yourself? I'm in the process of parting it out myself, but I'm kind of stumped on screen and mounting options. It sounds like the F-150/Expedition/Explorer use the recessed screen mount whereas the fusion and a few of the sedans use a flush mount. Am I correct in thinking that? BTW, great work on your upgrade!

Thanks donroja! I parted it out myself for around $1k, I found a seller that was selling one and the photo of the mounting screen matched the mount on my Sync 2 unit. You are correct, the mount is recessed. It sits in the middle between the screen and APIM.

Here is what it should look like, this will fit with no modifications.

s_l500.jpg
s_l1600.jpg

Thanks donroja! I parted it out myself for around $1k, I found a seller that was selling one and the photo of the mounting screen matched the mount on my Sync 2 unit. You are correct, the mount is recessed. It sits in the middle between the screen and APIM.

Here is what it should look like, this will fit with no modifications.

s_l500.jpg
s_l1600.jpg
Do you happen to know what vehicle it was from? I am not seeing anything as far as 2017 Explorers with Sync 3, but I have found quite a few 2016 F-150s available, just don't know for sure its mounting application. Thanks.

Do you happen to know what vehicle it was from? I am not seeing anything as far as 2017 Explorers with Sync 3, but I have found quite a few 2016 F-150s available, just don't know for sure its mounting application. Thanks.

I do not know what vehicle it came from but I know that the F-150's use a different mount.

I do not know what vehicle it came from but I know that the F-150's use a different mount.
Ah, that's no good! Knowing what you know now... Is there any chance this can work?
XkVK0oX

Huh, nothing came out of the images I posted... maybe I need more time as a member?
qe67zWu

Huh, nothing came out of the images I posted... maybe I need more time as a member?
qe67zWu
You can post directly from your device with a $20 Elite Membership which also helps to support the Forum or use a 3rd party site like Photobucket to link photos. Be aware that those posted using 3rd party site have a habit of disappearing. Those posted by Elite members are saved on the Forum servers.

Peter

I'm totally interested in doing this, have Forscan and the skills (my APIM is highly modified already). Just don't really want to pay a grand to do it. Seems as if the Screen and (non-nav) APIM (because I'll be using CarPlay anyway) should fall somehow in the $5-600 range. Kinda waiting (or hoping) for a bit more market liquidity.

This question is simply one of curiosity for car owners who modify vehicles into something that was never offered for sale - such as some of you who are changing your Sync2/MFT to Sync3 which wasn't offered in 2016 Explorers (except the end-of-the-line models, if I read correctly).

What happens when you trade in your vehicle that, like an early model 2016 Explorer, was never offered with Sync3? Adding such a significant component, especially one that, if not installed exactly right, could lead to major problems for the next owner - like maybe you sell your car that you, yourself, installed Sync3. And, just to complicate things, lets say that your vehicle has years left on an Extended Warranty (ESP) that you transfer to the new owner or they purchase. What if the NEW owners of this modified car start having issues? The Sync module is greatly tied in with the entire car, is it not? If there is a ESP, they can deny payment, since it was not an OEM part and there would be no record of it being installed by authorized service agent - couldn't they?

I owned a beautiful 2003 Crown Victoria in 2006. It had the back top done in a top-notch carriage-style roof with a sunroof added, all aftermarket, but unless you were a Ford buff nobody would ever know it didn't come from the company like that. I traded it in 2 years later (LOVED that car but we bought a house and I needed an SUV for projects!) and they would not give me credit for the roof or sunroof, since they weren't factory installed, nor did 2003 CVs even have the sunroof as an option. They told me that anything "not factory" didn't count - even if you had a fantastic stereo added. A few years later, on another trade, I was told that wasn't true - any upgrade counted - so I really don't know the truth.

What's everyone's answer/opinion to these type of aftermarket, DIY upgrades?

This question is simply one of curiosity for car owners who modify vehicles into something that was never offered for sale - such as some of you who are changing your Sync2/MFT to Sync3 which wasn't offered in 2016 Explorers (except the end-of-the-line models, if I read correctly).

What happens when you trade in your vehicle that, like an early model 2016 Explorer, was never offered with Sync3? Adding such a significant component, especially one that, if not installed exactly right, could lead to major problems for the next owner - like maybe you sell your car that you, yourself, installed Sync3. And, just to complicate things, lets say that your vehicle has years left on an Extended Warranty (ESP) that you transfer to the new owner or they purchase. What if the NEW owners of this modified car start having issues? The Sync module is greatly tied in with the entire car, is it not? If there is a ESP, they can deny payment, since it was not an OEM part and there would be no record of it being installed by authorized service agent - couldn't they?

2 basic schools of thought (for me at least)

1. I typically keep my vehicles a long time. At the point where I get rid of them, they're generally worth less than $5,000. I hope this one lasts that long. At that point the buyer is getting a very, "what you see is what you get" kind of purchase. My conscience is clear. So any mods on I add to it that I don't want to take with me have had their intrinsic value reduced to the point where I can let them go with the vehicle. No muss, no fuss.
2. I am very careful to have a fallback position on every mod that I do to bring the vehicle back to stock. If something were to happen where I needed to get rid of the vehicle before that long period of time ended, I would put all the original components back in and sell the aftermarket components through typical channels.

That's my approach at least..

This question is simply one of curiosity for car owners who modify vehicles into something that was never offered for sale - such as some of you who are changing your Sync2/MFT to Sync3 which wasn't offered in 2016 Explorers (except the end-of-the-line models, if I read correctly)............................................

What happens when you trade in your vehicle that, like an early model 2016 Explorer, was never offered with Sync3?
I was thinking the same thing a few days ago after reading about these changes. As for OEM Sync 3, it was only factory installed in the 2017 Explorers. No end of line 2016 models.
The Warranty Guide is quite clear on what is and is not covered under warranty.
Here is what would likely apply under what is not covered in this case;
• unauthorized modification to alter functionality or capability
• installation of unauthorized software, peripherals and attachments
• unauthorized, unapproved and/or incompatible repairs, upgrades and
modification.
In short, it appears that the effects of modifying the electronic components does not seem to be any different than modifying some of the mechanical parts as far as voiding warranty.

The upgrade will void the APIM warranty but not other parts of the vehicle, though if not programmed correctly it could cause an interaction with other modules. In this case, the dealer might not be able to fix it.

The lack of sync 3 in the 16 sports has held me off buying a low km model. 17 is out of price range. But this is great news!

New to the forums and looking to add Sync 3/Car play to my 16 Limited. I called my dealer and they said to get the Sync 3 and car play feature it would be $250. This includes a hardware module and the software install.

Has anyone taken this route yet? Does it give the same functionality as the image someone posted earlier?

New to the forums and looking to add Sync 3/Car play to my 16 Limited. I called my dealer and they said to get the Sync 3 and car play feature it would be $250. This includes a hardware module and the software install.

Has anyone taken this route yet? Does it give the same functionality as the image someone posted earlier?

I think your dealer is actually referring to the upgrade for 2016 vehicles with Sync 3 (new USB hub + 2.2 SW) - This isn't applicable to the Explorer because 2016 models have Sync 2. Ford doesn't offer an official upgrade from Sync 2 to Sync 3. Ford says this is due to hardware, software licensing, and labor costs. Hardware alone for a unit with navigation is $750-1000. The $60 USB hub and 2.2 SW is also required for CarPlay.

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
As PlatinumOwner said, I'd be very surprised if your dealr could do it for $250 if they could do it at all.
Please keep us updated.

Peter

Anyone know if a new USB hub is required in the 2016 Explorer Sport if one were to upgrade to a new Sync3 APIM and wanted CarPlay?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Anyone know if a new USB hub is required in the 2016 Explorer Sport if one were to upgrade to a new Sync3 APIM and wanted CarPlay?

Yes, it is required. The USB hub with the SD card slot works without CarPlay but gives an error when connected to Sync 3. The Ford part number for the hub that supports CarPlay is HU5Z-19A387-A. This hub has one USB port and also has a connection to the console USB port. Once installed the console USB port will also support CarPlay.

Back