SYNC 3 in a 2016 Explorer | Page 10 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

SYNC 3 in a 2016 Explorer

I just realized that the APIM module is not able to communicate with the HVAC module for some reason. I imagine upon user pressing some control on the Sync3 screen, the APIM would transmit the code that to the HVAC module, the HVAC module would interpret that and do the action and then send a signal to the APIM module so the APIM module would display that result on the screen to the user. this communication is broken and I dont know why. I used an as built file of a 2017 Explorer Limited with similar features. I then tried with a different 2017 Explorer Limited and the issue persists. I also tried using a different APIM module and the issue persists. I am out of options now other than have the dealer take a look at it. Any tips or pointers appreciated.

IMG_4821.JPG
IMG_4820.JPG

open

open

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I just realized that the APIM module is not able to communicate with the HVAC module for some reason. I imagine upon user pressing some control on the Sync3 screen, the APIM would transmit the code that to the HVAC module, the HVAC module would interpret that and do the action and then send a signal to the APIM module so the APIM module would display that result on the screen to the user. this communication is broken and I dont know why. I used an as built file of a 2017 Explorer Limited with similar features. I then tried with a different 2017 Explorer Limited and the issue persists. I also tried using a different APIM module and the issue persists. I am out of options now other than have the dealer take a look at it. Any tips or pointers appreciated.

Dealer won’t help. If you don’t know how to properly program it there are people/places out there that will do it for a fee.

Dealer won’t help. If you don’t know how to properly program it there are people/places out there that will do it for a fee.
I am in Seattle area.. who can I approach for help?

I am in Seattle area.. who can I approach for help?

Forscan forums are a wealth of info. There might be some more info on this forum too. F-150 forums seem to be really on the ball about forscan. There are similarities between all Ford platforms, so worth seeing what's going there. After that, I would recommend looking at basically other Ford vehicle forums; eg, Flex, Mustang, Edge, Escape etc to see if anyone has done something similar there and how it might be able to be applied across.

There is also blueovalforums that is worth a look.

Google the Russian explorer forums, they're really on top of their game there.

Facebook groups. Try all major social media platforms for groups. A Google search after that to see what random scraps of info might be available.

yay! i want to report that I was able to resolve the problem. It basically involved changing the 1st 2 lines of the APIM.. thats it. Two people approached me to help. One of them wanted me to pre-pay ($50). I asked if he can guarantee and accept payment afterwards. Nope. The other seller on ebay was wiling to help me without having to pre-pay and I chose that person. He trusted me and send me the programming codes which I wrote into the APIM module using Forscan and bingo! everything worked. I am so happy, and honor code.. sent the payment ($50) immediately. I saved myself several days of frustration and its worth it for me. For the benefit of others.. the solution to this problem is very simple. No need to pay. I changed these two lines in the APIM as follows and everything working now. I noticed that these 2 lines of code are very similar to what can be found in the .ab file belonging to my Explorer using its VIN number. Its not exact but close.
7d0 -01-01 AA21 1103 EExx
7D0-01-02 0203 4000 02
This for a 2014 Explorer limited with heated rear seats and heated steering wheel and fully loaded.. i also used a .ab file off of a vehicle from autotrader and then overwrote the 2 lines as listed above.

Sync3 totally worth it..

Is there anyone who can decipher what these 2 lines of code are?. It would help a lot of people trying this out DIY. The shared doc PlatinumOwner put above doesnt address all the codes only a few.

Anyone know how to upgrade Sync3 to the latest version when the vehicle is pre 2016 but with Sync3.

There was a thread in the 2017 IVT subforum that had a link, but after several search attempts to find it.....no luck.

Peter

my current Sync3 screen which originally belonged to an Edge is scratched. .but it fits on my explorer because both have that recess along the frame. However the scratch bothers me sometimes. Now, I also have another screen but it belonged to Fusion so it wont fit as there is no recess and it is flush along the frame. This screen is in pristine condition, no scratches. Is it easy to swap the screens so I can disassemble the screens and swap then and put them back?

my current Sync3 screen which originally belonged to an Edge is scratched. .but it fits on my explorer because both have that recess along the frame. However the scratch bothers me sometimes. Now, I also have another screen but it belonged to Fusion so it wont fit as there is no recess and it is flush along the frame. This screen is in pristine condition, no scratches. Is it easy to swap the screens so I can disassemble the screens and swap then and put them back?

I opened up a screen belonging to Ford Edge (with recessed mount) and another one belonging to Fusion (with flush mount). What I noticed are that these screens are not swappable easily. The LCD belonging to the Edge has a heat sink along the longer edge of the LCD where as the fusion LCD does not. Even if you ignore this, the motherboard the screen is attached to and the housing are completely different and even the 2 ribbons connecting the LCD to the motherboard are oriented in a way that make it difficult to swap. So dont try this. However swapping the same model LCD should be very easy. The ribbons can be easily removed by using ones finger nail and pivoting the hold up away from the motherboard. There are videos on youtube how to remove the ribbon from the LCD which was easy. When placing the ribbon back one has to be careful as if i isnt installed right your display wouldnt work. I will just have to learn to ignore the scratch.

It looks like we lose "Line in" by upgrading to Sync3. The old media hub had a line in, the new one does not. Fewer wires a lot of wires unused and out goes line in functionality not that I used it much but its always good to have that option

I just upgraded from MFT to SYNC 3 in my 2016 Explorer without any issue at all. I got everything I needed from FLVPmods.com

It is like I just bought a new explorer that I enjoy driving more. I highly recommend doing this if you're on the fence.

Love my Explorer, Hate the implementation of sync in my vehicle....

Now with all that griping out of the way. Shipped my Baby to Germany, found that the need for my navigation was much more than ever required in Ol San Anton’...
What I thought would be a simple map update to EURO maps was not as simple as I hoped or thought it would be..I found the local Ford dealership.. (YEP We over here too!) met the guy his English was not good but luckily my German is...”Die American Explorer ist nich kompatibel .

Rewind now to the bane of my perfect Explorer’s existence this damn sync2 w/ my touch.

My ask is do any of you know a way tO get my hands on an APIM capable of updating to sync3 and have it capable of loading the European maps?

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
I don't believe that has been done before. I'll PM you with a contact who might be able to do it.

Peter

I also made the Sync 3 upgrade (v3.4) to my recently purchased 2016 XLT. I ended up using a non-recessed display, but careful modification of the mounting bracket resulted in a very nice fit. Like Blade_Runner, I used FLVPMods and the install went very smoothly.

Z

I’m running Sync 3.4 now on my 2016 Explorer and it works great for anyone wondering. Setting the APIM configuration - 7D0-02-01 xxxx 12xx xxxx sets the splash screen animation to the same as the 2020’s.

I also made the Sync 3 upgrade (v3.4) to my recently purchased 2016 XLT. I ended up using a non-recessed display, but careful modification of the mounting bracket resulted in a very nice fit. Like Blade_Runner, I used FLVPMods and the install went very smoothly.

Z
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I’m running Sync 3.4 now on my 2016 Explorer and it works great for anyone wondering. Setting the APIM configuration - 7D0-02-01 xxxx 12xx xxxx sets the splash screen animation to the same as the 2020’s.

Where did you get that version?

Back