SYNC 3 in a 2016 Explorer | Page 12 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

SYNC 3 in a 2016 Explorer

I see you have a split screen map and audio. Is that a built in NAV unit? I ask because I got a non nav unit I put in my wife's 2013 for $20. Yeah that's got all the zeros.

That is just how it looks on the home page (when you tap the house icon on the upper left).

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've searched and just want to confirm as I don't see a clear answer - I've got a 2016 with 4.2/Sync and collecting parts to upgrade.

Current vehicle is manual climate control (obviously); does the donor bezel need to be an 8" with manual climate or could you also use the 8" sony bezel?

Yes that would work, providing you have all the support brackets from the donor.

Hi everyone! I’m new to the forum. We just bought my wife a 2016 Explorer and I did a SYNC 3 upgrade on my own. I know ford won’t recognize the upgraded system but I’m hoping I can still get future updates when they become available. Anyone have any insight into this? Thank you!

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
Your thread was merged with this one found with the 'Search' feature. There are a few more on upgrading from 2 to 3. I'm not sure but I don't believe that you will get upgrade notifications. You will likely have to find links for any upgrades. See posts #110 and #112 for more info.

Peter

Hi everyone! I’m new to the forum. We just bought my wife a 2016 Explorer and I did a SYNC 3 upgrade on my own. I know ford won’t recognize the upgraded system but I’m hoping I can still get future updates when they become available. Anyone have any insight into this? Thank you!

@peterk9 is correct. You won’t get ota/WiFi updates from Ford with the upgrade, you’ll have to source the upgrades yourself. To put it in perspective though for the purpose of CarPlay, upgrades aren’t really needed. I actually for stability and compatibility reasons had to downgrade off of the newest 3.x versions back to I think 2.2 to get things like auto dimming of the display panel to work correctly.

Quick question, I sourced parts from ebay/local and ended up with a 2019 apim from a mustang, and a 2017 screen from a explorer limited.

I used dan to do the programing and everything works great! Except the Nav/GPS.

The screen is showing me a red circle with a line threw it with GPS in the middle. Could the antenna I bought be bad?

Here is the one I bought. Amazon.com: Bingfu Vehicle Waterproof Active GPS Navigation Antenna with Fakra C Blue Connector 3-5V DC Compatible with Ford Volkswagen VW BMW Audi Mercedes Benz Chrysler Dodge Ram Truck SUV Car Stereo Head Unit: GPS & Navigation

Just a suggestion but jmr061 is probably the most knowledgeable on this forum on how to test out where the issue is, I would PM him.

Just a suggestion but jmr061 is probably the most knowledgeable on this forum on how to test out where the issue is, I would PM him.

Sent him a message but no reply. I have now tried a second gps antenna and still no GPS. getting really annoyed.

Quick question, I sourced parts from ebay/local and ended up with a 2019 apim from a mustang, and a 2017 screen from a explorer limited.

The screen is showing me a red circle with a line threw it with GPS in the middle. Could the antenna I bought be bad?

Here is the one I bought. Amazon.com: Bingfu Vehicle Waterproof Active GPS Navigation Antenna with Fakra C Blue Connector 3-5V DC Compatible with Ford Volkswagen VW BMW Audi Mercedes Benz Chrysler Dodge Ram Truck SUV Car Stereo Head Unit: GPS & Navigation

Try to troubleshoot with Dan too, he is knowledgeable as well

Did you do a master reset after the install?

Did you have NAV before?

What year is your Explorer?

Did you have NAV before?

According to his margin profile he has a 2016 Limited. ;)
Voice-Activated Navigation was standard.

Peter

Did you have NAV before?

2016 limited, had nav prior. I installed a 4U5T-14G371-GDE APIM with a build date of 02/07/19. It came with software 3.4 v19101.

I have done a master reset a few times, unplugged the stock GPSM. Everything works fine except the GPS. I have tried a Xtenzi, and a Bingfu Fakra GPS antenna. Still waiting to hear back from Dan to see if anything in the programming could be wrong.

When I go into test settings its not picking up any GPS satellites.

I really doubt I got two broken GPS antennas in a row, It either has to be programming or the APIM.

Where did you put the new GPS antenna? When I did mine on my 16 EXP I used velcro and put it under where the center speaker is.

I wonder if you have a Non NAV APIM...

Is there a Nav button on the home screen?

Have any pics?

Where did you put the new GPS antenna? When I did mine on my 16 EXP I used velcro and put it under where the center speaker is.

I wonder if you have a Non NAV APIM...

Is there a Nav button on the home screen?

Have any pics?

Both GPS antenna where bought off Amazon. I have tried them in the stock location behind the cluster, under the center speaker, and also just resting on the dashboard. The APIM was sold as a nav unit and as best I could google appears to be true.

Here is a pic

IWGe6ob.jpg

Try a SYNC soft reset...hold the audio power button and the seek >> button at the same time for 5 seconds.

Do you have your phone connected via bluetooth?

Is that your pic? Are you in Dearborn?

Is that your pic? Are you in Dearborn?

Yeah thats my pic, no im located in colorado. I think the GPS defaults to that location if it can not get a signal. I will try a soft reset in a few and see if that solves anything.

Also, too, might be an option to reformat the APIM and add SYNC 3.4 20021 and Maps NA 1 19.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Looking for part #4U5T-14G371-GDE on both AutoNation and Ford Parts produces no results.
An Internet search seems to suggest it is from a Focus / Mustang.

Peter

Back