SYNC 3 in a 2016 Explorer | Page 15 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

SYNC 3 in a 2016 Explorer

Hey guys

I am currently located in Dubai and upgraded my ford 2016 limited edition sync 2 to sync 3 which I bought off eBay US version. the sync 3 came out from Ford 2018 sports editions. I am having few issues with programming and I am new to this all.

I installed it as seen on few YouTube channels. All works fine except the Navigation, The navigation guidance is not working at all. It shows navigation but when you search for route, it does not show any directions. I am in GCC so do I need to do something on FodScan?

I have done the following:

1. Installed a new GPS antena
2. Replaced the USB Hub

The Sync 3 is showing correct Vin number and is connecting to CarPlay and Wifi etc.

One more issue I am having is the IPC is showing two compasses and it's keep on flipping. I assume the car now has 2 GPS antenna, one I installed and one was factory installed? Is there a way of disabling the factory GPS antenna?

Finally, the navigation guidance are not visible in IPC when driving and the voice commands do not recognise the navigation. However it works for all other features such as Climate, Phone etc.

I am sorry for the long message.

Hope to get the solution for this problem.
You have the wrong APIM for your region.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

^^ Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
I believe the OEM GPS antenna is under the dash toward the driver's side. I've never seen it but I'm guessing it could possibly be disconnected.
As for the navigation, are you getting it displayed on the 8" Sync screen? Do you have the correct navigation maps for your location/country?

Peter
Hi thanks for your reply. Yes I can see navigation on 8 inch screen but it is showing US maps. How do I download the GCC maps? Sorry I am completely new to this and have just started playing with such things. I have downloaded Forscan and successfully connected to cart and made couple of small changes to test the system.

I can see the OEN antenna na but was not sure if I can disable it using Forscan or not. I will try and unplug it. It's behind the Instrument cluster.

Not really. With the old sync 2 screen out, you can reach in and just unplug the GPSM connector.
Yes I saw that but was not sure if unplugging that may cause some other issues. I will unplug it once I open everything again.

@gibz In regards to what Peter said...

When you add the new GPS antenna, you have to unplug the OEM GPS antenna. There cannot be two GPS antennas plugged in. It is hard to get to. It was the hardest part of the update IIRC.

I did this upgrade on my 16 XLT when I had it and was told that that needed to be done.
I will try to unplug it.

Oh so do I need a new APM?

How can I get the GCC Maps though?

You might be able to select certain maps and fit them on your 32GB APIM. I have no personal experience with this region.

Yes I saw that but was not sure if unplugging that may cause some other issues. I will unplug it once I open everything again.
There won't be any issues with unplugging it, but leaving it plugged in will cause problems.

You might be able to select certain maps and fit them on your 32GB APIM. I have no personal experience with this region.

Many thanks for your reply. This was really helpful. I managed to install everything and now have 3.4 version of the software with GCC maps. Now I have 2 issues which I am unable to resolve.

1. Voice commands are not installed properly or working for some reason. I can use the voice command button on my Steering wheel for Temperature , Volume, Radio but not for navigation.

2. The IPC does not show direction for sync 3 navigation system. It only shows for Android phone.

Any suggestions?

Many thanks again it took me some time to figure out. It was trial and error but in the end it started to work and the more I do this the more I enjoy it. Especially , there is so much help available on this forum.

Regards,

Back