Sync 3 keeps resetting iPhone ringer volume | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Sync 3 keeps resetting iPhone ringer volume

Chris-74

Reaction score
City, State
Vancouver
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Explorer XLT
My iPhone 6 ringer volume keeps getting reset to maximum volume every time it connects to Sync 3. I keep turning it down, and it stays that way until I hop in the car. Next time the phone rings, it's on full blast again, even after I've gotten out of the car. Anyone else have this problem and know how to fix it? Not even sure if it's the phone or the vehicle that's doing this. Not using Apple car play, just regular ol' Bluetooth connection.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've had this issue as well. Maxes out both ringer and bluetooth and I have no idea why.

Ever since iOS 10.0.2 I'm having real issues with USB and Sync 3, too...

Man, that's a terrible workaround. Come on, fix this, Ford!

Sounds like an IOS issue, not a Ford issue.

Also, how is that a workaround? Sounds like a solution.

Sync is commanding the ringers and volume to their max, not the phone which is responding to the command. Turning off desired functionality (that is, the buttons) is not a solution.

I just bought a brand new 2017 Ford Explorer yesterday and I am having the same issue. I agree that having me change my phone's settings not to respond to my volume controls is not a solution.

I just browsed the Ford F-150 forum and they are having the same problem (even posting all the way up through today complaining about it).

Is Ford going to fix this or not?

Another tip is below, although it still doesn't fix this annoying problem.

You can create an iPhone "Reminder" using the location setting "Getting out of the car" to create a notification to remind yourself to turn the volume back down. But I'm guessing that it will still be annoying to have to do this every time you get out of your vehicle.

Are you running version 2.2, what is your SYNC build number?

I think it's sync 3 version 2.2. I got the 2017 Explorer with 202A package, so whatever that gave me is what I have.

I think it's sync 3 version 2.2. I got the 2017 Explorer with 202A package, so whatever that gave me is what I have.
I'm quite sure that unless you down loaded V2.2 yourself or asked a dealer to install it, that you have V2.0.

Peter

Thanks, Peter.

So, if I've got sync 3 v2.0, will v2.2 fix the problem?

I think what I and thousands of other Ford owners want to know is, "is a fix on the way?"

I don't have this issue with 2.2, you should update.

2.2 Build 17011

My iPhone 6s Plus has done this exact thing intermittently with other Bluetooth applications (like my home theater) and even when using the aux cable on my non-Sync vehicles.

Perhaps the fine folks at Ford can figure out a way to make it stop, but at least in my case the issue is with the phone - or perhaps the phones user ;-) - not the vehicle.

For what it’s worth my office mate has an Android phone that is plagued by the same issue and they too experience it with non-Sync applications.

My iPhone 6s Plus has done this exact thing intermittently with other Bluetooth applications (like my home theater) and even when using the aux cable on my non-Sync vehicles.

Perhaps the fine folks at Ford can figure out a way to make it stop, but at least in my case the issue is with the phone - or perhaps the phones user ;-) - not the vehicle.

For what it’s worth my office mate has an Android phone that is plagued by the same issue and they too experience it with non-Sync applications.
I had the same issues until I started running IOS 11.0.1 and the max ringer volume on my F150 Sync3 finally went away along with other Bluetooth issues. Now running IOS 11.1.2 and the pain in the butt max ringer seems to be gone for good. Don't know what IOS you are running but some of the IOS 10.x.x had some Bluetooth bug issues-big time.

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
I don't have a Smartphone but from reading the posts it seems that issue is with the phones being used and not Sync 3.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Problem is, Sync 3 is jamming up the Volume Up control in the API when it sees BT Audio is present.

On iPhones, if you have Volume Buttons controls Ringer, your ringer gets maxed out. If you have audio playing already or you turn that off, general volume is maxed out.

I wish Ford would fix this already. It's not a phone issue--it's just taking the commands given by Sync via BT. I still have this issue on the latest version of iOS.

Back