• Register Today It's free!

Sync 3 kit on Amazon/eBay

Exploder82

Reaction score
City, State
IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Explorer Sport ;p
Anyone give the sync 3 kits on Amazon/ebay a shot? I put one I found on Amazon in a friends 2013 Lincoln MKX and it works great. Tried to search and didn’t see anyone else using them.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Anyone give the sync 3 kits on Amazon/ebay a shot? I put one I found on Amazon in a friends 2013 Lincoln MKX and it works great. Tried to search and didn’t see anyone else using them.
Here is a reddit post that someone bought from Amazon and installed it. Maybe you could talk with them to answer some questions.

I don’t have any questions. Just curious if others here have gotten them and installed them. Thanks though.

I don’t have any questions. Just curious if others here have gotten them and installed them. Thanks though.
What information are you seeking then?

Exactly what I said in my first post! Why exactly do you keep replying if you don’t have any input?

My input was trying to find out what your intentions were posting a new thread.

My input was trying to find out what your intentions were posting a new thread.
Get lost. It obviously doesn’t pertain to you as you have provided no input other than ask what I’m doing which was clearly stated in my first post. Now leave me alone. Good grief.

Get lost. It obviously doesn’t pertain to you as you have provided no input other than ask what I’m doing which was clearly stated in my first post. Now leave me alone. Good grief.
I believe he is asking that seeing there are already several threads on adding Sync 3 to a 2016 Explorer, why you didn't just add to one of them.
I have left it as is since it is asking about a specific kit on Amazon. If I find that the same question came up in one of those threads, I can merge yours with that one.

Peter

Thanks Peter. I didn’t see anyone using any of these kits which is why I asked in a new thread.

This is an old thread, however I did install one of the Amazon kit in a 2014 limited.. worked without any issues. I now have android auto and apple car play... no need to trade the car in.

Same here. Ordered it and installed in about 25 minutes. Came preprogrammed with Western-European radio frequencies and maps.
I additionally installed a Apple Car Play adapter for wireless use to cut out the USB cable. Works great.

I too am looking at buying a 2016 Explorer Limited for my wife but she has to have Apple Car Play? When I googled it, it says Ford was upgrading 2016 model year cars to sync 3 for free, it was just an over the air update or you could download it from a Ford site and upgrade it yourself? Everything I have read here doesn’t seem to be the case??
Also when I go to Amazon the upgrade kit for sync 2 to sync 3 is $800?? Is that the correct one? I am assuming the 2016 Explorer Limited is using the sync 2 system also?

^^Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
I haven't heard about this "free" update and doubt that it is the case. You'd require both hardware and software changes to convert from Sync 2 to Sync 3. You may be better off looking at a 2017 that has it as standard equipment.

Peter

^^Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
I haven't heard about this "free" update and doubt that it is the case. You'd require both hardware and software changes to convert from Sync 2 to Sync 3. You may be better off looking at a 2017 that has it as standard equipment.

Peter
Thanks Peter, yes I have read through all those threads after I posted also it seems you do need the hardware upgrade also and Ford is only updating the software for the 2016 models for free..oh well. Yes I have figured out a 2017 is the best way to go but price wise the 2016 seem to be a better value. She also has to have the limited model and the massaging seats…lol.. so worse comes to worse then I will find a good phone holder so she can see the navigation on her phone. That’s the main reason she wants apple car play is for the navigation.

Also does anyone know if there is a way to tell if the explorer actually has the Multi Contour massaging seats By looking online? I know it’s parts of the 301A package but of course when I select that in autotrader or car gurus and do a nationwide search then 0 results come up no matter the price? So just curious if there is anything I can see by looking at pictures online of the interior if it has the massaging multi contour seats? Thanks

The multi-contour seats were only available on the 2016 Platinum.

Peter

The multi-contour seats were only available on the 2016 Platinum.

Peter
Not true both the 2016 and 2017 model brochures say you can get the multi contour seats with the optional pkg on a Limited of 301A or the 303A which also adds the 2.3 turbo four and add for the 303A pkg. please see attached brochure. The multi contour seats are standard on the Platinum though But optional on the Limited.

You are correct. I was looking at the 2016 Order Guide and missed that line. The copy of that guide is difficult to read the way it was posted here.
I had them on my 2017 Platinum and my current Aviator and don't use them. I don't think I ever turned them ON in the Explorer.
Is the one you are looking at the 2.3L Ecoboost or the 3.5L V6? With the 2.3 you won't run into the possible water pump issue.

Peter

You are correct. I was looking at the 2016 Order Guide and missed that line. The copy of that guide is difficult to read the way it was posted here.
I had them on my 2017 Platinum and my current Aviator and don't use them. I don't think I ever turned them ON in the Explorer.
Is the one you are looking at the 2.3L Ecoboost or the 3.5L V6? With the 2.3 you won't run into the possible water pump issue.

Peter
Thanks Peter, I can go either way I don’t care about the water pump issue if that’s all that can fail for $1,500 and then good for another 100K miles I say who cares..lol.. now i am a turbo 4 guy I love turbo motors since it’s easy to do a simple stage 1 tune and get 30-50HP and 50-70 lbft more torque along with better gas mileage for around $500 but this is for my wife. I can’t find much on the reliability of the 2.3 turbo in the Explorer? I have read many issues of the old 2.0 turbo 4 in the explorer with the turbo crapping out around 100k miles and that’s a 3K bill to replace. So to me it’s kind of pick your poison but what’s your take on the 2.3 Turbo motors in the Explorer for reliability and longevity?? I know the 3.5 NA motor is pretty much rock solid other then the water pump issue! Thanks for your help!!

That's $1500 for the water pump as long as it doesn't take the motor out with it. ;)
I don't have any experience with the 2.3L engine but found this when I did a 'Search' here; "2.3 Ecoboost 4x2 Reliability?

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That's $1500 for the water pump as long as it doesn't take the motor out with it. ;)
I don't have any experience with the 2.3L engine but found this when I did a 'Search' here; "2.3 Ecoboost 4x2 Reliability?

Peter
Yeah I read that thread also just not much information here on that engine. Guess I will need to read the Mustang forums to see how it’s holding up long term over there especially since they have it boosted with more power. Thanks for your help much appreciated!

Back