• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

Sync 3 Map Upgrade Issue

yohanofUM

Reaction score
City, State
Ann Arbor, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Explorer Sport
I gave Ford entirely too much credit in what they're doing with in-vehicle tech and connectivity, so I suppose this is my own fault.

I recently caught some chatter here about NA 1 19 potentially being available (NA 1 18 is currently the most up to date as of this post, for my vehicle, I would come to learn) so I went ahead and put in my VIN and ESN. Keep in mind, I purchased (for $109), downloaded and installed NA 1 18 in January. After which, I installed an access point in my garage with a dedicated SSID just for the vehicle - scanned and had no available updates several times since (meaning, Ford should know what software is installed on this VIN & ESN between January and March).

So, last week I went to syncnavigation.com, put in my VIN and ESN, hmm imagine that, says I have updates available. Strange, the only option for these updates is to purchase the USB. No information is available about which updates are available or versions. I go ahead with the purchase ($40), trusting they wouldn't let me purchase something I clearly didn't need (right) and still, no information in checkout or receipt about which version. Today I finally received the USB and attempt to install only to be prompted with BGMAP_ERR01, which tells me to download files again (I can't..but thanks) or contact 1-800-392-3673. Here we go...

Called 3673 only to be put through all the questions and then routed to 888-628-6277 only to have them tell me they don't support Sync 3 and send me back to 3673.
Called 3673 again, only to have them tell me 6277 only supports Sync 1 and 2 (got that, thanks) and the correct number is 800-900-8458.
Called 8458 and explained the lack of transparency in their system, the site giving no information about what's being ordered, only to have them tell me (rudely) there are no refunds, even advising me to read the fine print, and to call 3673. Mind you, each one of these calls starts with name, phone number, VIN, ESN and the story of what's going on.

At this point, I've lost more time than the $40 refund is worth and I'm at a loss for an explanation of the lack of any information provided to the user about what they're purchasing. To me, feels a bit like a scam so for those of you on here who've made it this far, caveat emptor. Check with other users here prior to purchasing any software from Ford or their affiliates. The folks on this forum have so far provided orders of magnitude more support than anything I've witnessed from the above phone numbers in the last hour.

Last edited:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

peterk9

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Ottawa, Ontario area
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Aviator Reserve
Callsign
VE3
Map updates are only available via a USB drive. What you were searching for through your garage setup was a Sync 3 update and has nothing to do with navigation updates. Did you ask about a refund? Why not ask for another USB since the one you received did not work.

Peter

yohanofUM

Reaction score
City, State
Ann Arbor, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Explorer Sport
Map updates are only available via a USB drive. What you were searching for through your garage setup was a Sync 3 update and has nothing to do with navigation updates. Did you ask about a refund? Why not ask for another USB since the one you received did not work.

Peter
The map update in January I was able to download (and then transfer to USB). I realize these updates are not available via wifi updates. However, they (Ford) have a tool which requires me to enter in a VIN and ESN, which one would think pulls from a DB having current version history.

peterk9

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Ottawa, Ontario area
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Aviator Reserve
Callsign
VE3
I don't know about the map update database but the one for Sync updates relies on owners reporting their successful installs/updates. I haven't looked into map updates since I don't travel much at all. I hope you'll be able to get everything straightened out.

Peter

yohanofUM

Reaction score
City, State
Ann Arbor, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Explorer Sport
I don't know about the map update database but the one for Sync updates relies on owners reporting their successful installs/updates. I haven't looked into map updates since I don't travel much at all. I hope you'll be able to get everything straightened out.

Peter
I recall having to pull USB's after updates and uploading back to Ford on the older systems. With Sync 3, the updates I've performed so far have not asked me to do this. Can this be done?

The woman on the final phone call was pretty clear 'no refunds' and didn't seem the least bit interested in recognizing the problem or even acknowledging there is a problem. The only solution to this I can think of is to snap a picture of your 'about' screen and call ahead (800-900-8458) to have them check what the current version is for your vehicle, prior to purchasing anything.

I suppose what's more disappointing to me is I have been a Ford owner for 25 years and the entire in-vehicle tech experience (and now customer service experience) has been - to be polite - underwhelming. The only thing which has gone close to plan is programming an extra admin key, but this is thanks to a user on this forum who posted a how-to.

And of course, after all the calls yesterday, I go in today and see this:

Your SYNC 3 Navigation Map is up to date with the latest version.
Maps Version: NA 1 18.
If you feel this information is not correct, please contact customer service at
(800) 900-8458

Last edited:

peterk9

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Ottawa, Ontario area
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Aviator Reserve
Callsign
VE3
I recall having to pull USB's after updates and uploading back to Ford on the older systems. With Sync 3, the updates I've performed so far have not asked me to do this. Can this be done?
I reported the updates that I did on my 2017 Platinum. When you go to your Sync Account there are instructions (step 11) on how to report the update. Note this is for the Sync update, not Nav.
Step 11. Once you’ve installed the updates in your vehicle, be sure to report the successful installation to complete the process.

Peter

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
D Sync 3 and Navigation Map Updates 2017+ Sync 3 / In Vehicle Technology 43
D 2017 Explorer..Sync "indexing" 2017+ Sync 3 / In Vehicle Technology 1
T Nav/Sync System Problem 2017+ Sync 3 / In Vehicle Technology 12
R New Sync Update JRT3-14G381-AS.zip. Any luck? 2017+ Sync 3 / In Vehicle Technology 12
Y Sync 3 v3.0 Bluetooth, Aux Line In or USB Storage Alternatives 2017+ Sync 3 / In Vehicle Technology 2
expoman55 Sync Lastest version - ford pass et al 2017+ Sync 3 / In Vehicle Technology 1
dlphnfn Incoming call to Sync 3 w/ Pixel 2 2017+ Sync 3 / In Vehicle Technology 0
D Sync 3 problems. APIM? 2017+ Sync 3 / In Vehicle Technology 2
Z Sync V3.0 to V3.4 Upgrade 2017+ Sync 3 / In Vehicle Technology 104
B Sync 3 still dropping my phone 2017+ Sync 3 / In Vehicle Technology 16
T Sync screen blank sometimes. 2017+ Sync 3 / In Vehicle Technology 1
B Sync 3 bracket modification 2017+ Sync 3 / In Vehicle Technology 3
Bobs2018Explorer Upgrading basic non-Nav 4" Sync to 8" Sync-3 with Navigation 2017+ Sync 3 / In Vehicle Technology 2
D What version of Sync do I have? 2017+ Sync 3 / In Vehicle Technology 3
A SYNC Entertainment 2017+ Sync 3 / In Vehicle Technology 2
L Sync 3 Issues 2017+ Sync 3 / In Vehicle Technology 3
B Bluetooth issues with Sync 3 2017+ Sync 3 / In Vehicle Technology 4
ddaniel13 Sync 3 apps youtube 2017+ Sync 3 / In Vehicle Technology 1
B Sync 3 FINALLY updated 2017+ Sync 3 / In Vehicle Technology 5
B Sync 3 issues 2017+ Sync 3 / In Vehicle Technology 7
L Sync 3 - No GPS or AM/FM Radio ? 2017+ Sync 3 / In Vehicle Technology 14
B Sync 3 Mic Location 2017+ Sync 3 / In Vehicle Technology 2
M CarPlay and SYNC 3 Nav? 2017+ Sync 3 / In Vehicle Technology 6
J Stopping Sync notice on vehicle start 2017+ Sync 3 / In Vehicle Technology 2
S General Sync 3 Impressions 2017+ Sync 3 / In Vehicle Technology 4
B Sync 3 NAV & Bluetooth 2017+ Sync 3 / In Vehicle Technology 1
M Navigation Sync 3 2017 Explorer question 2017+ Sync 3 / In Vehicle Technology 3
A Newbie to Infotainment- Where to start with setting up Sync 3? 2017+ Sync 3 / In Vehicle Technology 10
E Newbie - Sync 3 question 2017+ Sync 3 / In Vehicle Technology 2
B Failed Sync update 2017+ Sync 3 / In Vehicle Technology 9
A Sync 3 GPS only allows 50 favorite destinations 2017+ Sync 3 / In Vehicle Technology 4
2 Touch Screen/Sync acting up 2017+ Sync 3 / In Vehicle Technology 8
J Sync 3 Home Screen - Removing Heated Steering Wheel opt. 2017+ Sync 3 / In Vehicle Technology 1
S Sync 3 flaky 2017+ Sync 3 / In Vehicle Technology 5
B MFT to Sync 3 upgrade success... but some remaining issues 2017+ Sync 3 / In Vehicle Technology 34
C Sync 3 3.0 - Turns Radio off after using Android Auto? 2017+ Sync 3 / In Vehicle Technology 1
C sync 3 3.0 ... no waze support? 2017+ Sync 3 / In Vehicle Technology 37
Gilbert M Vega ?? On 2018 explorer sync 3 navigation. 2017+ Sync 3 / In Vehicle Technology 5
J Ford Sync (not Sync 3) software update will not recognize USB drive 2017+ Sync 3 / In Vehicle Technology 38
P upgrading-2016-explorer-to-sync-3-forscan-questions 2017+ Sync 3 / In Vehicle Technology 0
S Sync Connect - wifi hotspot 2017+ Sync 3 / In Vehicle Technology 8
H Sync 3 and quick charge 2017+ Sync 3 / In Vehicle Technology 2
B sync 3 which maps are installed? 2017+ Sync 3 / In Vehicle Technology 25
L Alexa now on Sync 3 2017+ Sync 3 / In Vehicle Technology 1
S 2017 Rear DVD entertainment System Slimline 7 auxiliary on Sync Help Needed 2017+ Sync 3 / In Vehicle Technology 2
J How often does Ford release SYNC software updates? 2017+ Sync 3 / In Vehicle Technology 12
V SYNC 3 latest version 2017+ Sync 3 / In Vehicle Technology 466
N Sync 3 able to play videos? 2017+ Sync 3 / In Vehicle Technology 3
D Siri not letting me use Sync 3 Voice Navigation! 2017+ Sync 3 / In Vehicle Technology 2
2 Some general Sync 3 questions.. 2017+ Sync 3 / In Vehicle Technology 11