• Register Today It's free!

Sync 3 Map Upgrade Issue

yohanofUM

Reaction score
City, State
Ann Arbor, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Explorer Sport
I gave Ford entirely too much credit in what they're doing with in-vehicle tech and connectivity, so I suppose this is my own fault.

I recently caught some chatter here about NA 1 19 potentially being available (NA 1 18 is currently the most up to date as of this post, for my vehicle, I would come to learn) so I went ahead and put in my VIN and ESN. Keep in mind, I purchased (for $109), downloaded and installed NA 1 18 in January. After which, I installed an access point in my garage with a dedicated SSID just for the vehicle - scanned and had no available updates several times since (meaning, Ford should know what software is installed on this VIN & ESN between January and March).

So, last week I went to syncnavigation.com, put in my VIN and ESN, hmm imagine that, says I have updates available. Strange, the only option for these updates is to purchase the USB. No information is available about which updates are available or versions. I go ahead with the purchase ($40), trusting they wouldn't let me purchase something I clearly didn't need (right) and still, no information in checkout or receipt about which version. Today I finally received the USB and attempt to install only to be prompted with BGMAP_ERR01, which tells me to download files again (I can't..but thanks) or contact 1-800-392-3673. Here we go...

Called 3673 only to be put through all the questions and then routed to 888-628-6277 only to have them tell me they don't support Sync 3 and send me back to 3673.
Called 3673 again, only to have them tell me 6277 only supports Sync 1 and 2 (got that, thanks) and the correct number is 800-900-8458.
Called 8458 and explained the lack of transparency in their system, the site giving no information about what's being ordered, only to have them tell me (rudely) there are no refunds, even advising me to read the fine print, and to call 3673. Mind you, each one of these calls starts with name, phone number, VIN, ESN and the story of what's going on.

At this point, I've lost more time than the $40 refund is worth and I'm at a loss for an explanation of the lack of any information provided to the user about what they're purchasing. To me, feels a bit like a scam so for those of you on here who've made it this far, caveat emptor. Check with other users here prior to purchasing any software from Ford or their affiliates. The folks on this forum have so far provided orders of magnitude more support than anything I've witnessed from the above phone numbers in the last hour.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Map updates are only available via a USB drive. What you were searching for through your garage setup was a Sync 3 update and has nothing to do with navigation updates. Did you ask about a refund? Why not ask for another USB since the one you received did not work.

Peter

Map updates are only available via a USB drive. What you were searching for through your garage setup was a Sync 3 update and has nothing to do with navigation updates. Did you ask about a refund? Why not ask for another USB since the one you received did not work.

Peter
The map update in January I was able to download (and then transfer to USB). I realize these updates are not available via wifi updates. However, they (Ford) have a tool which requires me to enter in a VIN and ESN, which one would think pulls from a DB having current version history.

I don't know about the map update database but the one for Sync updates relies on owners reporting their successful installs/updates. I haven't looked into map updates since I don't travel much at all. I hope you'll be able to get everything straightened out.

Peter

I don't know about the map update database but the one for Sync updates relies on owners reporting their successful installs/updates. I haven't looked into map updates since I don't travel much at all. I hope you'll be able to get everything straightened out.

Peter
I recall having to pull USB's after updates and uploading back to Ford on the older systems. With Sync 3, the updates I've performed so far have not asked me to do this. Can this be done?

The woman on the final phone call was pretty clear 'no refunds' and didn't seem the least bit interested in recognizing the problem or even acknowledging there is a problem. The only solution to this I can think of is to snap a picture of your 'about' screen and call ahead (800-900-8458) to have them check what the current version is for your vehicle, prior to purchasing anything.

I suppose what's more disappointing to me is I have been a Ford owner for 25 years and the entire in-vehicle tech experience (and now customer service experience) has been - to be polite - underwhelming. The only thing which has gone close to plan is programming an extra admin key, but this is thanks to a user on this forum who posted a how-to.

And of course, after all the calls yesterday, I go in today and see this:

Your SYNC 3 Navigation Map is up to date with the latest version.
Maps Version: NA 1 18.
If you feel this information is not correct, please contact customer service at
(800) 900-8458

I recall having to pull USB's after updates and uploading back to Ford on the older systems. With Sync 3, the updates I've performed so far have not asked me to do this. Can this be done?
I reported the updates that I did on my 2017 Platinum. When you go to your Sync Account there are instructions (step 11) on how to report the update. Note this is for the Sync update, not Nav.
Step 11. Once you’ve installed the updates in your vehicle, be sure to report the successful installation to complete the process.

Peter

Sorry, I know this thread is a little long in tooth, but I've had a similar experience. Today I received a message in my phone app about a map update and gave a link to learn more. Short version is I was asked for my VIN and ESN which I provided. Subsequently I was informed there was indeed a map update and offered me the option of purchasing a preloaded USB flash drive ($40) or a free download. Of course, I took the free download. After downloading the update and license file multiple times on two different USB drives nothing happens. When I insert the USB drive nothing happens. I have not called the 8458 support number yet,. That's on the docket for tomorrow morning.

Make sure the usb is the correct format.

Also the file structure must be precise. No files get unzipped.

Post a pic of what you have

Sorry, I know this thread is a little long in tooth, but I've had a similar experience. Today I received a message in my phone app about a map update and gave a link to learn more. Short version is I was asked for my VIN and ESN which I provided. Subsequently I was informed there was indeed a map update and offered me the option of purchasing a preloaded USB flash drive ($40) or a free download. Of course, I took the free download. After downloading the update and license file multiple times on two different USB drives nothing happens. When I insert the USB drive nothing happens. I have not called the 8458 support number yet,. That's on the docket for tomorrow morning.
Did you also download or follow the 12 page document? I downloaded the files last week but have yet to put them on a USB drive. I'm in no hurry as I understand it takes at least an hour to install and I don't have plans to drive anywhere for that long a period and there's no way I'm letting the vehicle idle that long.

Peter

First off on the first few days (maybe more) of the 1-19 release if you had previously gotten the 18 maps via the same process it would kick you to the $40 18 map download. You had to read close but it stated you had previously gotten the maps via download and that your only option now was to get the 18 maps via USB since it assumed your download didn't work: "
If you have placed a previous order for a current Map Update via download, the USB you are attempting to order now contains the same Map version you previously purchased.
The option to purchase a pre-loaded USB after previously ordering a Map Update via download, is for customers who may have encountered an issue with the download process and now want to order the pre-loaded USB to perform the Map Update. "

I called them and they said they were working on the issue. My point being, you didn't read close enough if this was the case.

Fast forward to the current map license issue. They corrected the first mentioned issue....kind of. If you have 18 maps currently they allow send you the 19 maps with the 18 map license which doesn't work!! People have had this with both the download and purchased USB. One of the Ford SYNC3 employees has gotten involved on another forum and is personally getting involved in getting it corrected. So just be patient and wait.

It sounds like they have the license file issue fixed now. You have to use the link sent to you in your order confirmation to re-download the correct license file (if that was your issue).

Did you also download or follow the 12 page document? I downloaded the files last week but have yet to put them on a USB drive. I'm in no hurry as I understand it takes at least an hour to install and I don't have plans to drive anywhere for that long a period and there's no way I'm letting the vehicle idle that long.

Peter

I think I did. To recap,
1. Formated with exFAT a USB flash drive with sufficient space.
2. Extracted the SyncPre32 zip file onto the flash drive.
3. Copied the license file into the SyncMyRide folder.
4. Fired up the Explorer, allowed the display time to come up.
5. Inserted the flash drive into the USB slot...and...nothing.

I followed this same process with two different flash drives and downloaded the map update and license file twice. Did I overlook anything or is there something I could/need to do that I'm not? I'm on my third support number with Ford and I hvaen't had time to call them.

Tony

When I open the SyncMyRide folder on the flash drive I have 15 files including the license file. Is that what you have as well? I have everything ready to load into the vehicle but as I mentioned I'm not willing to let the vehicle idle for an hour or so since that isn't good on the engine. I also can't recall the last time I was actually driving for 60+ minutes. The USB drive may just gather some dust in the meantime. :)

Peter

When I open the SyncMyRide folder on the flash drive I have 15 files including the license file. Is that what you have as well? I have everything ready to load into the vehicle but as I mentioned I'm not willing to let the vehicle idle for an hour or so since that isn't good on the engine. I also can't recall the last time I was actually driving for 60+ minutes. The USB drive may just gather some dust in the meantime. :)

Peter

Good info. Thanks for that, Peter. My SyncMyRide folder, including the license file, only contains seven files. The total download size agrees with what I have which is 12.1GB. I'm downloading again to check file count.

This is what I have in the SyncMyRide folder.

Peter

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    41.8 KB · Views: 171

Thanks Jason. Never thought about that. :(

Peter

My SyncMyRide folder:

11/15/2019 03:54 PM 2,036 GB5T-14G386-ZA.tar.gz
09/29/2017 08:05 AM 26,897 HB5T-14G386-TAB.tar.gz
11/15/2019 03:54 PM 25,381 HB5T-14G386-TKB.tar.gz
12/10/2019 02:03 PM 9,541,380,033 JR3T-14G421-CE.tar.gz
12/10/2019 02:03 PM 2,730,602,654 JR3T-14G422-CF.tar.gz
04/29/2019 01:35 PM 759,552,780 JR3T-14G423-CB.tar.gz
07/08/2020 12:18 PM 1,725 JR3T-14G424-CE.TAR.GZ

Post a pic of the root usb directory

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

After being on the phone for 2 hours or so with Ford and not getting anywhere I finally capitulated and ordered the preloaded USB drive. I checked and double checked my VIN and ESN which were correct so I'll see what results I get. Here's the contents of the root of my USB drive. See anything wrong there?

10/18/2019 01:42 PM 0 DONTINDX.MSA
11/18/2019 12:44 PM <DIR> SyncMyRide
12/10/2019 01:03 PM 717 autoinstall.lst
2 File(s) 717 bytes
1 Dir(s) 18,361,188,352 bytes free

Back