Sync 3 navigation and traffic function | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Sync 3 navigation and traffic function

BerndM

Reaction score
10 miles NE of Disneyland in Southern California
City, State
Placentia, California
Year, Model & Trim Level
17 Explorer Platinum
My 17 Platinum has the Navigation as well as SiriusXM on it.
My SiriusXM is coming up for renewal and I haven't been able to get a definitive response from Ford as to whether the Nav function or the Traffic conditions on the nav maps (green/yellow/red road overlays) will continue without SiriusXM.
Any insight into this would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Bernd

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My understanding is that you have 5 years with Sirius Travel Link. Ours is still functioning and we are at 2 years without Sirius Radio.

I did not buy my Explorer new. It was a 1 year lease return, so the 5 year Sirius Travel Link was not available to me as a second owner.:(
If I let my SiriusXM subscription lapse, will I still have navigation and if so would THAT navigation mode still have any sort of traffic info or not? :confused2:
Thanks

I am willing to bet that it will stay on, as it goes with car, not the owner,

I did not buy my Explorer new. It was a 1 year lease return, so the 5 year Sirius Travel Link was not available to me as a second owner.:(
If I let my SiriusXM subscription lapse, will I still have navigation and if so would THAT navigation mode still have any sort of traffic info or not? :confused2:
Thanks
I guess the easiest way to find out is to let your subscription lapse. You can always renew if you lose what you really want. Just make sure that your subscription isn't set up to Auto Renew.

Peter

I am willing to bet that it will stay on, as it goes with car, not the owner,

nope. Already discussed this with siriusXM. The 5 year subscription is only for the first and original owner. Also bought my explorer used and didn’t qualify.

OP, I wouldn’t even bother paying them anymore money. If you’re on android or iPhone, you can get much better updated and accurate traffic data with google maps, Apple Maps or Waze. All for free.

nope. Already discussed this with siriusXM. The 5 year subscription is only for the first and original owner. Also bought my explorer used and didn’t qualify.

OP, I wouldn’t even bother paying them anymore money. If you’re on android or iPhone, you can get much better updated and accurate traffic data with google maps, Apple Maps or Waze. All for free.
Good to know, however, I have seen people buy used and the Travel Link is still active(my In-laws being one). I would assume that Sirius never got the ownership updates.

I will also agree that a smartphone with nav is a better choice overall, to be honest, I have never used my factory nav in either of my cars...:)

They might have changed but mine had five years from original in service date. Since my 2018 Sport the calendar started at day of delivery.

Conversely, my 2015 Expedition XLT I was the second owner and they advices that I still had about two years left on the Travel Link. Unless they changed recently it was five calendar years with no ownership restrictions.

NOTE: The Travel link was five years. I believe you have to have the regular SiriusXM service available and paid current. Regular SXM service is the audio portion. You can have audio without travel link but not the other way around. SiriusXM subscription service is usually yearly prices.

Speaking of SiriusXM......they should be coming out with the holiday specials. Last year it was $5.00/month for twelve months. Around $65-70 with taxes and fees. Also note that the price is for single vehicle audio only and Travel Link if subscription still active. If the offer is not available now then check back after Thanksgiving. If your current subscription is set to expire within the promotion period then they pro rate a refund for the months not used then “reset the clock” so to speak. The new subscription period will be back dated to now and you have a new expiration date which will be 12 months. Last year I purchased one for a friend but purchased on December 31st ensuring the full calendar year.

This price makes a decent Christmas present for my friends and family. All you need is their Radio ID /ESN for their vehicle. For Sirius that is usually channel 000 or 001.

good luck!!

I'm the second owner and mine still works.I'm guessing Sirius never got the update and I'm glad the dealership didn't offer the trial period of Sirius radio so they weren't told.

But if you have a smartphone and your car has Sync 3, then you should use Apple CarPlay or Android Auto and use Waze for navigation! It's my favorite navigation app because not only does it tell you traffic, it alerts you to accidents, hazards, and police which are all reported by other drivers.

I'm not sure on pricing or anything because I don't use it, but I know that Sirius has a CarPlay app, so you can have the radio portion with you in the car and wherever else you go.

Back