Sync 3 - No GPS or AM/FM Radio ? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Sync 3 - No GPS or AM/FM Radio ?

Lou Kalis

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Explorer Limited
I have a 2017 Ford Explorer Limited, running latest Sync 3 software. The GPS and Radio for AM and FM just stopped working one morning. None of the stations can be found, just static. Android auto works. I tried several master resets without any luck. This model has a stock fin antenna on the back of the roof. I’ve read a lot of people had to replace the APIM for similar but not exact problems. I am looking to find out if this sounds like an antenna or APIM issue to you all? I checked fuse #32 (what a pain), no issues there. Does anyone know where I can find good instructions for removing the headliner to get to the antenna and center console to get the APIM if needed? I had a lot of issues with the unit overheating when I first bought it, but every time I brought it to the dealer it wouldn’t reproduce the symptoms of black screening. So, I’m out of warranty now and looking for some friendly advice, please. Thanks in advance. Lou

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum Lou.:wave:
I'm guessing that Sirius also isn't working? Are you saying that your Sync 3 screen is totally blank/black?

Peter

Hi Peter. I no longer have a subscription to Sirius, so I am not sure on that one.

The display originally would turn black a lot (on and off, restarting truck usually fixed it..or let it cool in the shade), but the dealer never did figure it out and it finally stopped doing that about 9 months ago.

The display is working currently, it's just the AM/FM stations do not pick up any channels, and the GPS has the red X through it, and thinks our location is at the Dearborn plant in Michigan. We are in Wisconsin. The Sirius may also be out of order, I am unsure.

Does that help? Thanks for kicking this around with me.

Have you tried or can you try another music source such as a CD or USB drive to see if you get any sound?

I have. I can connect my phone via USB cable and stream music that way, or via Bluetooth. The connection to the speakers work.

Just a thought on Sirius - even without an active subscription, I believe there is a test channel available to tune to.

I just checked. You are correct. The message I get is Satelite Antenna Fault. Would that be tied to the AM/FM radio as well? Do you think it's a APIM or the shark antenna on the back of the roof?

That I cannot answer. I was going to suggest looking at the acquiring signal issue, but that is for 2018's.

I just checked. You are correct. The message I get is Satelite Antenna Fault. Would that be tied to the AM/FM radio as well? Do you think it's a APIM or the shark antenna on the back of the roof?
I would guess it is an issue with the antenna but it's just a guess. If the APIM was bad it would affect other items as well (HVAC).

Peter

Thanks Peter. I took a look for the antenna part number. On the ford website, I can see it should be ford part # 18936b. It's the shark fin type. However, that part number doesn't seem to be the whole part number. I'm having a heck of time finding it under that number. Sites keep show it as the other option, base plus screw in stick antenna. Do you know how to decifer the actual part number to reference? It's a 2017, 2.3l, explorer limited version, 4wd.

The link I'm using is: Support - Radio Aerial | FordUS

Thanks Peter. I took a look for the antenna part number. On the ford website, I can see it should be ford part # 18936b. It's the shark fin type. However, that part number doesn't seem to be the whole part number. I'm having a heck of time finding it under that number. Sites keep show it as the other option, base plus screw in stick antenna. Do you know how to decifer the actual part number to reference? It's a 2017, 2.3l, explorer limited version, 4wd.

You can also look on ebay and find a replacement...something like this:

17 2017 Ford Explorer Silver Roof Mounted Radio Antenna OEM LKQ | eBay

Part # for the 2017 should be: JJ7T-19G461-AA5APF. If you don't find the color you need, you could paint it yourself.

But from your previous posts, I would suspect a connector/plug has come loose or disconnected. You said you haven't checked Sirius because you don't have a subscription anymore...even without a subscription, you can select channel 0 or 1 on Sirius and receive their basic music and a message that says you need to buy a subscription/shows your Radio ID. It would be very unusual to have the antenna completely fail without damage to the antenna assembly.

I think this may be it; FM5Z-18936-D, Search Results | Auto Nation Ford White Bear Lake
As 15Limited, suggested, it may just be just a connection issue as well. I don't know how difficult it would be to check the connection at the radio end. Are you still under warranty?

Peter

I wish I was, but I put too many miles on in my 1st year. Out off warranty.

Thanks for the suggestions on the antennas, but both of them are not the same style unfortunately.

I'll dig around and see if I can find out how to get to the back of the sync 3 and remove the interior in the back of the truck. Thanks guys, I'l reach out to "modestly priced" ( right.. ) dealer to see if they will give me the part number.

........Thanks for the suggestions on the antennas, but both of them are not the same style unfortunately...........................
As far as I know, there is only one style. The picture might not be accurate but see what part number the dealer parts department gives you. I'd be curious to see what it is.

Peter

Lou, I know it's been a while, but did you ever fix the issue?

Experiencing very similar issues on my daughter's 2017 Explorer: GPS says Dearborn (never moves from there) and the radio button does not respond at all on the touch screen.

Dealer said it was the apim module, so I paid them for diagnostics, and bought an apim off ebay (programmed to my VIN). I install it, comes up, and then I have the exact same problem as the issues mentioned above: no GPS and no radio button response.

Any ideas?

Lou, I know it's been a while, but did you ever fix the issue?

Experiencing very similar issues on my daughter's 2017 Explorer: GPS says Dearborn (never moves from there) and the radio button does not respond at all on the touch screen.

Dealer said it was the apim module, so I paid them for diagnostics, and bought an apim off ebay (programmed to my VIN). I install it, comes up, and then I have the exact same problem as the issues mentioned above: no GPS and no radio button response.

Any ideas?
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
You may not get a response from Lou as he was last seen here on Feb. 23, 2023.
This thread may help. GPSM and APIM testing - Nav issues
Just FYI, Original 2014-2018 Ford Module EA5Z-14D212-DA | Levittown Ford Parts

Peter

Since you replaced the APIM, the most likely problem is the antenna itself.
Of course, it's a GPS/Sirius/XM/AM/FM/WiFi/Cell antenna and you will pay for it.
Part # is JB5Z-18936-xx - the xx is the color. Most replacement antennas JB5Z-18936-AFPTM now come in primer gray and you have to paint.

You can go into diagnostics by pressing Right Seek and CD Eject together for 10 seconds. Test tone will come up. Canx this and go into the menu. Somewhere in the listing is the Satellite diagnostics. You can see if you get a GPS signal from the antenna.

To replace the antenna you need a 8mm deep socket and a trim removal tool. YouTube has videos.

Fritz

Back