• Register Today It's free!

Sync 3 Ver. 3.4 and Waze volume

NCcarguy

Reaction score
City, State
Raleigh, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer ST
I just got my 2020 ST, and I have an iPhone 6 using waze. The prompt volume doesn't change. Every time I change the prompt volume, it reverts back to the "default" with the very next turn direction. The "default" happens to be a bit too loud too, so it's annoying. I've contacted waze, but they just keep telling me to clear the cache or delete and reload the app, so I figured I would check with this group too, to see if this is a repeatable issue.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I just got my 2020 ST, and I have an iPhone 6 using waze. The prompt volume doesn't change. Every time I change the prompt volume, it reverts back to the "default" with the very next turn direction. The "default" happens to be a bit too loud too, so it's annoying. I've contacted waze, but they just keep telling me to clear the cache or delete and reload the app, so I figured I would check with this group too, to see if this is a repeatable issue.

I noticed the same thing this past weekend. I believe the default is 6 or 7 (i forget which one) and when it is speaking, I turn it down to 4 or 5 but the next time is speaks, it is back to 6 or 7.

Gotcha, I'll stay on them at Waze then. That's exactly where mine stays.

I'll skim the system, maybe this is something that was addressed on the Ford end. I just ran a couple hour trip testing and didn't have an issue with the prompt volume levels changing. Newer software, of course. Is this with the AppLink app, or via CarPlay/Android Auto?

This is with the applink app. I find apple carplay to still be a bit buggy to me, so I like the way the applink waze works. I traded in a 2016 F-150 with sync 3 and used waze pretty much every weekend, and didn't have this issue. I do think the version in the 2016 may not have been 3.4 though.

This is with the applink app. I find apple carplay to still be a bit buggy to me, so I like the way the applink waze works. I traded in a 2016 F-150 with sync 3 and used waze pretty much every weekend, and didn't have this issue. I do think the version in the 2016 may not have been 3.4 though.

OK, that's what I figured from the description. Yeah, the 16 would have been on v3.0 at the latest.

OK, that's what I figured from the description. Yeah, the 16 would have been on v3.0 at the latest.

I use android auto through USB cable.. happens after every single voice notification. I'll try to get a video of it

So I’m debating if this is an intentional thing. It’s using level 7 as a volume floor for these prompts. You can raise from there but only lower temporarily during a prompt. Same situation for the built in Nav. They used to have a lot of complaints of no Nav prompts, etc. as people weren’t turning the prompt volume up. I can see them setting a floor to try to address this, assuming my guess is right.

that's sure a bad plan if it is intentional. Level 7 is TOO LOUD to me. It's annoying enough that I quit using waze and went back to sync. I've contacted waze about it as well, so I'll see what they come back with, although it seems like they're just sending me generic responses and not really even paying attention to what I'm telling them that's happening.

So, for Waze via AppLink anyway, this does seem to be by design. Looks like if volume is <6, then it'll reset to 6 as the floor. Seemed more like 7 when I was playing around, but maybe there was a little latency for showing the volume number decreasing.

So, for Waze via AppLink anyway, this does seem to be by design. Looks like if volume is <6, then it'll reset to 6 as the floor. Seemed more like 7 when I was playing around, but maybe there was a little latency for showing the volume number decreasing.

Bad design.. if I'm on a 300 mile trip and want to change it to 4, it should stay at 4. I dont want to change it every single time it speaks to me.. every car pulled over, every piece of road constructuon.. every turn.. every pot hole.

Waze could talk to you as often as everyb20 seconds depending on if you are in the city streets or congested area. This is pure stupidity!!

It's not particularly loud at that level in either of my two vehicles, so I'm thinking it may be dependent on which audio system is installed. I know some of the higher end systems I've tested with I've run at lower levels, maybe that's a similar thing here? I haven't toyed around with lowering the volume setting within the app itself to see if that does anything. Have you tried that at all? I wish there was a way to shut off all the non-turn guidance prompts with the app. I usually run it totally muted.

I will check the app, I have not tried that. Will report back once I have the chance.

you may be onto something about the audio system issue. I have the upgraded B&O system, and it's just annoyingly loud. I have tried lowering the volume within the app and it didn't change anything.

Different vehicles will also use different speakers for the prompts as well. Some are drowned out more than others based solely on this.

So...It appears that no matter what type of navigation I use, prompt volume 6 seems to be the minimum. I have tried it on every single method. Carplay, Waze app, Sync navigation etc.....they all seem to go back to 6 when I lower the volume during any notification....That probably needs to be changed.

So...It appears that no matter what type of navigation I use, prompt volume 6 seems to be the minimum.

Yep, that's correct. They set a floor of 6. Not sure why, but my guess is same as earlier where people didn't hear the prompts as they had it turned all the way down, so this would prevent that scenario.

Yep, that's correct. They set a floor of 6. Not sure why, but my guess is same as earlier where people didn't hear the prompts as they had it turned all the way down, so this would prevent that scenario.

How about a factory default of 6 every time the vehicle is started but remember during the current ignition cycle to what we changed it at.

I get it...I have turned down the prompt volume before and it took a while to figure out how to get it back, but 6 seems to be too loud, AND....I don't hear all that well. So I would guess that others have more trouble with it than I do.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back