Sync 3 | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Sync 3

Where did you read or see that no updates will be made? Not sure you read everything, or you are just speculating. Normally, electronics are updated when issues arise, for a period of time anyway. I think we can in the very least expect periodic updates.

Edit: now that you have posted info about the update most of us already knew about, the retardos are going to come out again and spam this thread with "I want an upgrade for free" crap. Ugh!
OMG! I think a 15 post n00b just tried to insult me.

I agree not all upgrades should be free if they add new enhanced functionality but lets cut the sh$$ and be honest here. MFT was and is a disaster. When most of the people here or on other forums ask for free upgrades they are asking for even less functionality than was promised in the early MFT marketing.

When they released MFT they marketed a system that said it would do A,B,C,D,and E,

It couldn't do anything without rebooting, and not only that it would completely shut down, considering its HVAC and other critical vehicle integration this caused some significant issues. Im not talking about not playing the correct song in my library.

Im talking about being out on a highway in the desert with your kids in the car and its 100F and the A/C isnt working because MFT shut down and your looking a blank screen.

Im talking about being somewhere at night when your lost and relying on navigation to get you somewhere safe and it completely shuts down and you get a blank screen. In the middle of the night in some unfamiliar areas thats scary.

And the bigger slap in the face is some IVT rep telling you to do a Master Reset, or disconnect the battery, or twist your body in half and get under the dash to pull fuse #29 , or take it to the dealer.

First off there's no dealer open 24 hrs so thats out for immediate support because you have "book it in", second of all most dealers know less about MFT then the customers driving the car. I have had to print information from this very forum and taken it to the dealer to get them to understand issues. Even then they don't get it.

Im sick and tired of educating the very people who are supposed to be the support system for this poor executed product.

Between 2011 and now we have gained stability and thats it. In order to gain stability we gave up several key features and abandoned hopes of ever seeing other promised features.

Most owners here want the free upgrades to be the very system that was marketed back in 2011, and guess what, that new system just came out with the caveat that the loyal early adopters can't have it without buying another vehicle.

Thats morally and ethically wrong.
I normally don't fully quote long posts, but you summarized it well, Sarge.

Before you criticize people who are asking for what they are promised, n00b, maybe you should go back and read the marketing materials Ford provided when they sold the system, and the early posts in this forum to see all the problems that have been experienced.

All of the problems with MFT have not been fixed, nor are the functions operating the way a quality system should. Why do you think Ford has abandoned the architecture? It's not because they suddenly had a better idea. It's because they can't make MFT and the underlying hardware do what they need it to do.

And last - how about leaving references to the mentally challenged out of your insults? They have much more class and intelligence than you.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

See, I was right. Can we combine this thread with the other one?

Yawn.

Signed,

Noob

I think we can in the very least expect periodic updates.
...says the owner of a '15. Ford has already set the standard for this by not providing 3.7 to owners prior to '14s. Doubtful there are hardware differences between '11 - '13 and '14 - '15. with MFT. The proverbial writing on the wall. I'd bet a case of beer that 3.6.2 is it. Frankly, I'm OK with it, but many others are not.

See, I was right. Can we combine this thread with the other one?

Yawn.

Signed,

Noob

Sorry but you got into this at the 2015 model year when MFT is relatively stable and you have fortunately not had to experience what many of us early adopters have had to endure.

I had to sell back my 2011 under Lemon Laws for a variety of issues and MFT was only one of a long list so my frustration and bitterness will be at a much higher level.

My 14 Sport has been stable for the most part but I still hold a grudge.

I think many of us thought the best way to bounce back from the highly publicized negative reputation caused by MFT would have been a whole new QNX system for current and future owners. Sort of a "sorry we screwed up but here it is finally"

Even if the older hardware only supported 90% of the SYNC 3 functionality it would at least be seen as an olive branch instead of a F$$$ YOU!

...says the owner of a '15. Ford has already set the standard for this by not providing 3.7 to owners prior to '14s. Doubtful there are hardware differences between '11 - '13 and '14 - '15. with MFT. The proverbial writing on the wall. I'd bet a case of beer that 3.6.2 is it. Frankly, I'm OK with it, but many others are not.

I'll take that bet, but it needs to be real beer not some macro brewery version!

I don't think the reasoning was ever provided for why the 3.7 upgrade was only for the 2014/2015 models. The newer version was said to provide;
•Map content for Europe and Australia/New Zealand regions
•Mute button for SYNC Navigation prompts added to Navigation map screen
•Estimated "Time of Arrival," instead of "Time to Destination" now shown on map screen

I upgraded from 3.6.2 to 3.7 and have not found any difference between the two at all with the above exceptions. Both worked great for me. I believe that the ambient lighting fix was incorporated in it.

Peter

Sync V3

Any chance that it could be installed on a 2015 or does it require new hardware?"

No chance at all. Sync3 will come out this year in certain 2016 models that have yet to be identified.
I have also merged your thread with this existing one on Sync3.

Peter

We generally keep our cars about 3 years. I think the auto industry is out of touch, the way they have their systems setup. They should be like a computer, in that you can run whatever software necessary on them. When it comes to the price of new cars, there isn't any reason they shouldn't have a decent desktop CPU in them. When buying in volume they could get one heck of a CPU for a hundred bucks. It also bothers me that the screens in the cars are lower quality than on my iPad.

That is correct. They will begin installing Sync3 in 2015 in yet to be announced 2016 vehicles.

Peter

I guess we'll have to wait and see. If Ford follows the previous production schedules then there will still be 2016 models built in early 2017. I am sure I've read other articles that stated that Sync3 will be introduced in select 2016 models. In any case, my lease runs until April 1, 2017 so it should be out by then. I'll be looking at a 2017 or ordering a 2018 model Platinum or MKX depending on what happens in the meantime.:)

Peter

Ok so why can't we manually install 3.7 in the 11-13 MYs? I remember a while back, people manually put versions of MFT on flash drives and went back a version. For those who have 3.7, why can't we get the files put on the net for us to download them ourselves?

I downloaded 3.7 for my 15 F350 and should have put it on my explorer as well. Actually, now I am wondering if the files are still on my flash drive.

Forgive my ignorance, but what are these features ford promised and people are wanting?

I believe the main one is AppLink. It never was made available for the current MFT system but apparently will be available with SYNC3. Not sure what the others might be. MFT worked great for what I used.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Forgive my ignorance, but what are these features ford promised and people are wanting?

For one, a working entertainment system that doesn't crash, but here's a short list of known problems and missing features:

AppLink - Probably the largest. AppLink was used as a marketing and selling point for the vehicle from the introduction of MFT. Those that purchased the vehicle were told that AppLink would be available later that year (2010, 2011MY vehicles). As of this post (2/2015) there is still no AppLink and it has been confirmed by Ford CS reps that AppLink will not be coming to MFT.

SDK - Technically inclined people, and software developers like myself were promised that an SDK would be made available to allow for third party solutions to be created for MFT on the windows platform. We were told that we would be able to create apps, and distribute them after a review process (much like the app store). I assume this never came to fruition because AppLink never came to fruition.

3G/4G w/ In Car Wifi - The system touts that it can use usb 3g/4g cards and then create an in-car wifi system for passengers, however it doesn't work. There are a few 3g cards that work, but its unreliable at best, and requires changing settings every time you start the car.

Favorites Home Screen - The original version of MFT (2.7-2.11 I believe) had multiple home screen options. One option was the ability to create a screen of favorite features/settings for easy access. In a later version of MFT this favorites screen was removed, even though it was used as a selling point during the purchase process. They have had a history of removing convenient features instead of fixing them to work correctly. (see the climate controls menu being removed from newer models right gauge display)

Stability - it's broken. MFT regularly crashes, and when it does it automatically reboots. This reboot process can take from 5-10 minutes, and during that time climate controls are lost (usually defaulting to blowing hot air out at high fan speeds), navigation is lost, hands free phone is lost, and control over the radio volume and sources is lost (sometimes defaulting to mid volume on AM/FM radio).

Navigation is not always accurate, or doesn't always select the best route, even if subscribed to Sirius traffic service. It will sometimes show my car driving in the middle of a lake, or a building. There is an issue w/ voice tags not being removed when you do a master reset (making it impossible to create new voice tags with same names).

bear in mind, this is a short list of things.. ones that affect me the most, but is not by any means a comprehensive list of things that are lacking with MFT. There is a reason Ford is abandoning MFT and moving to QNX, it has nothing to do with cost, it has everything to do with their inability to hold up the promises they made in regards to MFT, and lack of desire to start over and make it right.

Back