Sync 4 | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Sync 4

Is that a pix of what the use to call a phone booth?...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If the UI is good, physical buttons aren't necessary. Even if we did get Sync 4, the screen is just not in a good place for many drivers to access the screen easily. The MachE is like the Tesla, a very large screen that is tiltable towards the driver. The screens on Teslas are leaps and bounds over what we have. It's almost a joke.

Sure, there will always be traditionalists that will never take to interacting with a tablet but reality is, that is the future. Just like many still long for physical buttons on phones... it's gone the way of the dodo bird.

The problem is people do not like having to navigate through screens to adjust hvac controls or seat heat/ac controls. I have had an early model touch system and the reduction of buttons and it was annoying. I do not like leaving full screen navigation just because my butt gets too hot or cold which happens on longer trips. And the idea of using voice controls to do it is dumb as well.... Let me interrupt my music to take axtra time to do something that could be done with a simple push of a button.

Your point is bang on I hate navigating through multi screens to do a simple task that would normally require a simple button touch.

I think the point blwnsmoke was making was in reference too how much bad PR Ford took over My Ford Touch and the lack of tactile buttons to control important functionality like HVAC. Software controls by themselves to control things like AC dont work when your screen goes blank.

Yes MFT was a very poorly executed piece of software but customer feedback was loud and clear, customers wanted tactile controls for the Instrument Panel. (IP) Regardless of how good the multimedia software is.

I personally suffered through year one of MFT and it was beyond bad, it was down right dangerous.

Ask ex Ford CEO Mark Fields, he got so mad he punched the screen in his Edge.

.......... And the idea of using voice controls to do it is dumb as well.... ........
I don't know if you can use voice commands to adjust the seat temperatures. I've never tried that but I always use voice commands to adjust cabin temperatures. Very easy and quick.

Peter

And the idea of using voice controls to do it is dumb as well.... Let me interrupt my music to take axtra time to do something that could be done with a simple push of a button.

There are folks who would prefer everything under the sun by voice, no matter how many buttons exist for it. Think windows, locking doors, cruise control, you name it. I wouldn't say it's common, but they are out there.

There are folks who would prefer everything under the sun by voice, no matter how many buttons exist for it. Think windows, locking doors, cruise control, you name it. I wouldn't say it's common, but they are out there.

But if you are plugged in to Apple CarPlay then pressing the "talk" button gives you SIRI and not Sync 3... so no voice commands for you!!

I don't know if you can use voice commands to adjust the seat temperatures. I've never tried that but I always use voice commands to adjust cabin temperatures. Very easy and quick.

Peter

I find it faster pushing a button in the wife's explorer or turning a knob in my truck and gives zero interruption or quieting to music or other media I am listening to and my 4 year old in the backseat making noise doesn't mess with it.

it clearly reads "According to Ford, the platform will work with touchscreens as small as 8 inches and as big as 15-inches" it should be good for all of our 2020 EXP's
Not if post #8 is correct; "SYNC 4 is new hardware. Not a software upgrade to SYNC 3."

Peter

it clearly reads "According to Ford, the platform will work with touchscreens as small as 8 inches and as big as 15-inches" it should be good for all of our 2020 EXP's

Sounds like a software update to me......

"Alongside Sync 4, Ford announced that starting in 2020 some of its vehicles will be able to receive over-the-air (OTA) software updates. The automaker didn't say which model will launch with the feature first, but did note that it plans to add the functionality to both its upcoming gas and electric vehicles.

Ford estimates it will deliver its first set of software updates approximately six months after its first OTA-capable vehicles are on the road. When an update does arrive, it will install in the background. Ford claims it is the first automaker to build an OTA platform that includes this type of capability."

I don't know if you went to the post I referenced, but that statement I posted was made by a Ford employee who works with Sync 3.

Peter

I don't know if you went to the post I referenced, but that statement I posted was made by a Ford employee who works with Sync 3.

Peter

I did but not sure he works for Ford or Dodge, just an engineer. And if he really knew the Deets he would have an NDA and couldn't discuss it on an open forum.

Sounds like a software update to me......

More like quotes and articles that don't communicate well that it has nothing to do with current Gen 3 hardware, etc. Some make it more clear that it's new hardware...

New Ford Vehicles To Get SYNC 4 Infotainment And OTA Updates From 2020

"Supporting OTA updates required some substantial updates to the electrical and electronic architecture to execute updates reliably. That means existing vehicles won’t this get capability until they get a major hardware update, so Explorer and Escape customers will have to wait a few years."

They can't even get the promised OTA updates for the Lincolns to work for over a year.

My question for our resident expert is, do any of the existing 2020 Explorers or Aviators have the required hardware? Prior to my purchase of a New Aviator, one of the selling points was over the air updates. One of the press releases back in the summer listed that feature on the Aviator. I assumed it meant all the new generation would have this. Of course we all know the definition of assume.

My question for our resident expert is, do any of the existing 2020 Explorers or Aviators have the required hardware? Prior to my purchase of a New Aviator, one of the selling points was over the air updates. One of the press releases back in the summer listed that feature on the Aviator. I assumed it meant all the new generation would have this. Of course we all know the definition of assume.

It has OTA capability offered by SYNC 3, for SYNC 3.

I remember getting my newly designed 2015 Ford Mustang Limited Edition with MFT just to see 2016 get Sync 3. Pissed I was

Same thing happened when I got my 2015 F150 Platinum. Was not impressed when I found out Sync 3 was released 6 months after I received my order and was told my system could not be upgraded.

I highly doubt we will be able to upgrade ours to Sync 4.

Then they'll come out with Sync 5.;) Not much different than Smartphones. Buy the latest and by the time you get it home it has already been replaced.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back