• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

• Holiday Special! - 2 for 1 Elite Explorer sale!

Right now you can purchase an Elite Explorer membership for $20 and receive a two year membership!

Click Here to start your membership and get rid of the ads!

Sync 4

thedanman

Reaction score
City, State
Colorado
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Platinum
2020 ST
Seeing as the old edge just got sync 4 during a refresh cycle: 2021 Ford Edge Gets A New 12-Inch SYNC 4 Infotainment System | Carscoops

I think this should bring us hope that the explorer will get sync 4 maybe next year or the year after, which opens the door to us retrofitting sync 4 into our current explorers, assuming we can use a method similar to those detailed in SYNC 3 in a 2016 Explorer - which I successfully did on my 2016 Plat before it got totaled.

Also - after having used the 10" touchscreen for a year now, I think I would have been happier with the smaller landscape touchscreen, but alas, there's no massaging seats with the smaller one. However, since it seems relatively easy to go from an 8" to a 10", it seems very likely that those of us who want to downgrade can do so.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

boiler662

Reaction score
City, State
Houston
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020, Explorer, ST
Seeing as the old edge just got sync 4 during a refresh cycle: 2021 Ford Edge Gets A New 12-Inch SYNC 4 Infotainment System | Carscoops

I think this should bring us hope that the explorer will get sync 4 maybe next year or the year after, which opens the door to us retrofitting sync 4 into our current explorers, assuming we can use a method similar to those detailed in SYNC 3 in a 2016 Explorer - which I successfully did on my 2016 Plat before it got totaled.

Also - after having used the 10" touchscreen for a year now, I think I would have been happier with the smaller landscape touchscreen, but alas, there's no massaging seats with the smaller one. However, since it seems relatively easy to go from an 8" to a 10", it seems very likely that those of us who want to downgrade can do so.

How do you easily swap screens? From the way the dash looks the pieces change based on the screen type?

peterk9

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Russell, Ontario (Ottawa area)
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Aviator Reserve
Callsign
VE3
How do you easily swap screens? From the way the dash looks the pieces change based on the screen type?
From looking at the video, new parts are included. It looks pretty straight forward but I noticed no cost was mentioned.

Peter

boiler662

Reaction score
City, State
Houston
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020, Explorer, ST
Ahh my bad I didn't watch the video, I bet we could swap screens with the people that want the 10" screens, the catch would be reprogramming the 10 to the 8, would be interesting to see if they could enable the massaging seats as well.

themishmosh

Reaction score
City, State
NE Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer ST

iTonyp

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Coconut Creek Fl
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer Limited
If you do a search on Ford Parts the regular display is about $500 while the 10" display is $800. Not sure if you have to set the size somewhere but the Sync system already has programming for all the display sizes.
Where have you seen that price?

peterk9

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Aviator Reserve
Callsign
VE3

iTonyp

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Coconut Creek Fl
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer Limited
They show 2 parts close to each other. I wonder whats difference between the two?
LB5Z-10D885-FA & LB5Z-10D885-UA
I am not to crazy about the iPad style screen sticking up so high. Wish it was more built in or even lowered and not passed the dash.
I would bee more curious to know if the ST and Platinum instrument panel can be used on a limited. That i would invest in.

peterk9

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Aviator Reserve
Callsign
VE3
.....................................................................................................................
I would bee more curious to know if the ST and Platinum instrument panel can be used on a limited. That i would invest in.
Your answer is in the first post video.

Peter

iTonyp

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Coconut Creek Fl
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer Limited
Your answer is in the first post video.

Peter
Not the APIM 10" screen but the instrument cluster itself. I wonder can one be put in a non ST or Platinum package.

peterk9

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Aviator Reserve
Callsign
VE3
Not the APIM 10" screen but the instrument cluster itself. I wonder can one be put in a non ST or Platinum package.
Understood.